• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

OT to an EME Trade

AoD71

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey everyone

I am currently in the middle of an SQ course and I considering OT'ing to the following trades - Weapons Tech, Materials Tech, Ammo Tech or Vehicle Tech. I was wondering if anyone can enlighten me regarding the details of an OT. I've searched quite a bit, but I still have questions and I am severly limited to the time i can spend on a computer here. Would I start by getting an appointment with a BPSO? And how long would be a good guess till the the time I will actually change courses (my DP1 course starts right after SQ) if it goes through?

Any questions anwsered or even opinions would be great help, so thanks in advance.

AoD

Talk to your course staff starting with your section commander.  They are ones that will know who to get in contact with on your specific base.

And AT isn't EME, its not even taught at CFSEME anymore.  Here's a  thread on it.  http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/1401.0.html

D

So I've asked around and did my homework. Somewhat. My instructors on SQ told me that they wont take any OTs during the course because I would have to complete my SQ course anyways. They also told me that the DP1 instructors would take my OT first day and I would probably be taken off course since I wont be continuing the trade. Sounds reasonable. I've now graduated and have handed in my OT (for MAT TECH), but I'm being told a completely different story now! They are saying that OTs take weeks for the paperwork to start (during this time I'm still on the course), and that I may have to wait upto 2 YEARS for it to come through??  :'( And they've even gone and said it might be quicker for me to VR completely, and reapply for my desired trade. Wow.

What I am really asking is - are they pulling my chain? Are they trying to dissuade me from leaving the infantry? I would like to know if anyone has been in this situation before, and what happened to them, because I desperately want to know what is going to happen to me for the next few months. Will I have to goto my regiment after completing my DP1 even if my OT is going through? (which I think is going to put me into a deeper hole, making it harder to OT from a trade high in demand). If you have any experiences similar to this, such as OT'ing during your basic courses, I'd definately appreciate your comments.

I doubt that your taking a VR would do you any good.  It may just be an easy out for your Crse Instructors, in the way of Administrative work.  They don't want to do the work.  If you quit, they don't have to.  If you quit, then you have that on your record and may not be able to get back in.  Think about it.

Here is my suggestion. Finish your course or if you get time off go to the recruiting centre and talk to them. You will get tons of information. They will start the process for you.

Thanks for the replies. I just wish they would hand me a bone. This state of "not-knowing" is totally depressing  :-\

elminister said:
Here is my suggestion. Finish your course or if you get time off go to the recruiting centre and talk to them. You will get tons of information. They will start the process for you.

The recruiting centre does not deal with OTs.  They will give you information on trades, but will not start any process for you at all. 

I understand your frustration at having to continue with the course etc, but realistically, did you expect the CF to pay for you to sit around and wait to see if your OT comes through?  Carry on with course, make the best of it and get the experience out of it.  It can only help you.

Yea, its frustrating, but I don't mind doing the course. Its a really cool course. I just want to know whats up, thats all.

I've got a pretty strong suspicion that I was on course with this guy... and here the deal for all you boys and girls in green out there thinking that you want to change trades....

I tried getting out of my DP1 couse through the OT process. Flat-out denied. You now must serve 36 months of service in your original trade to get an OT. HOWEVER.... there is something called a VOR, a Voluntary Occupational Re-assignment, which is pretty much the same thing. If you apply for one of those, there's a huge catch to it... if you are fit for course, they send you on course anyway... if you survive your DP1 for 2 weeks (not a difficult task) you are stuck in your trade, and your VOR gets filed away in a drawer somewhere until years later it's found and thrown away. UNLESS your timing is perfect, and you get your file in front of the selection board, and they approve it. The board sits 4 times a year, so good luck with that.

My course staff told me, that if I wanted to be an MP, to VR from the army and re-apply from civvy-street, that the MP trade was closed.
It was complete BS, the trade is open at this very moment, so maybe they screwed me to avoid some paperwork, but that's the way it happens here in Mudford.... I'll be out in 4 days (after 2 1/2 months of languishing on 8 PL). I even tried to transfer to another red trade (Combat Engineer) but it seems the army would rather cut me loose than keep me. So much for retention, eh?

CFRC, maybe I'll see you soon...... when I recover from the Great Red-Tape Battle. It's been a very disappointing few months.
May the OPP are hiring....

I've given up on the OT a long time ago. I'd bet my papers are sitting somewhere stashed away collecting dust, and it doesn't surprise me because I've talked to MANY people who are in the same situation.

Back