• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Performance Oriented Electronic Training (POET)

Jeez guys ratch it down a notch will ya.
As an ex POET instructor I don't remember it as being that difficult. A good grade twelve level math is more than adequate for the course.
As for studying extra stuff perhaps reading general electronic material wouldn't hurt, but remember the course is there to teach you that stuff.
I think the biggest thing when you start on course is getting back in the academic grove. Just as some trades exercise and develop your physical skills POET and similar courses require you to exercise your mental strength.
So on that theme any general reading up on POET topic will help familiarize you with the topic and get you into thinking along academic lines.
Bottom line the military wants you to be a success at this course. If you put a good effort in most people can and do pass.
Of course only to go onto trades training requiring more studying.  ;D
Oh ya I just remembered, before I was an instructor I taught a POET prep package that reviewed math. Perhaps some electronics techs can give you a lead on where to find such an item.
I remustered to Avionics and enjoyed the job and the people.

Kat Stevens said:
At least a basic familiarity of haiku structure is adviseable.

Remember Ohm's Law
I equals E over R
P equals EI

That's as good as electronics haiku gets...  8)

Baden  Guy said:
As an ex POET instructor I don't remember it as being that difficult.

I don't remember my instructors being all that knowledgeable when the instructors notes weren't available. insulting the students intelligence by reading out loud from the students handbook for Solid State was a pathetic attempt at instruction. POET can be quite difficult if you spend too much time not learning the theory. The biggest thing to work on is learning how the formulas work. Once you start to understand them, remembering them becomes much easier.

Tango18A said:
I don't remember my instructors being all that knowledgeable when the instructors notes weren't available. insulting the students intelligence by reading out loud from the students handbook for Solid State was a pathetic attempt at instruction. POET can be quite difficult if you spend too much time not learning the theory. The biggest thing to work on is learning how the formulas work. Once you start to understand them, remembering them becomes much easier.

Tango18A believe me as a CT to electronics, similar to you I believe, my post was in the context of the previous comments in the tread that were, I thought, over the top and possibly making POET out to be more difficult than I feel it is.
A smart determined individual can find POET challenging but a challenge most of us are quit capable of mastering.

As long as you keep the drinking to the night after the POs. As I'm sure we both did.

Thanks for your responses.  They have given me some comfort in preparing for this course.  Today I picked up a Physics review book that focuses on AC/DC material as well as a trig for dummies book that will help me remember what I use to know from highschool.  Again thanks

Nope, I bet that it has more to do with CTC trying to bring the course under 100 training days.

I have a question in regard to completion of my POET course and currently on the ACISS DP1.0. What does POET become equivalent too towards the sub-occ CST and what am I able to bypass or skip some of? If any at all?

I would assume that POET would not let you bypass/skip anything on ACISS DP1.  DP1 AFAIK trains you to be a very basic basic level Rad Op, and that is not taught on POET.

That is not entirely what I meant.. I meant training after the DP1.0 towards CST. Original post was poorly worded.

Fizzik said:
That is not entirely what I meant.. I meant prior training after the DP1.0 towards CST.

You phrased that weird.. do you mean what does POET do for you after you have completed DP1 and await your CST training?  Not to be a dick, but you tell us once you are done everything. ACISS is brand new, and a lot of the finer details are still being worked up.  Plus you are at CFSCE right now, have you talked to your course staff about it? I don't know the TP for CST, someone else may or have more info on it.

Seriously though, when you are out of the training system, post up a small write up on the new training system and how it is working out for all the new people coming straight into ACISS.

I've tried asking but nobody seems to know. Just thought maybe I, could try my luck here. I thought there would be no harm in trying. Since there seems to be a broader view on the trades and ACISS on the forums.

Its called FET = Fundamental Electronics Training. I believe its shorter than the original, but not by much.

Do you know if it is considered the CSS 1.1 or is that part of the CST2.1 training?

It is confusing since it's not in the training schedule. I can't remember is it was CST 1.0 or 1.1 that is more than 100 days so perhaps it's included in one of those course?

1.0 courses are ACISS Core training, and common to all subtrades. CST 1.1 is your sub-moc training and should include FET.

You're right I just looked at the Calendar. CST 1.1 is 39 days and 2.1 is 140 so I would venture a guess that POET  is included in 2.1 .

Alright. Thanks guys now I, know what is a head of me. I, will let you know how it all goes. Hopefully I, will see my CST DP1.1 and 2.1 as quickly as possible.

I wouldn't count on your CST 2.1 quickly. You'll be working as a CST 1.1 for at least a year or more and will probably need to be almost ready for promotion or promoted to Cpl before the CF puts you on a CST 2.1 course. Exceptionally cases may get you the course early if you've got a real good aptitude, but the intent of moving POET/FET to the DP2 level was to encourage members to sign a second contract before the CF dumps 8 months of training on them and only getting a year of actual employment before their Basic Engagement runs out.

Back