• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

PERs : All issues questions...2003-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boy, I've only been back to the forum for a couple of days, and I have to admit that I'm impressed: no name calling, balanced, thought out answers. What happened to all the know-it-alls from a couple of months back?? Must have moved on to their true calling: lying on another forum.

Some excellent points from CFL, eyre, kat, and c4th.

I suppose I was hasty to say "boot 'em out" to people who don't want leadership positions, but to be honest, if you make it up a few rungs in the ladder, and don't want to play any more, they force your hand (ie. refuse career course, you pay the price.) So, if a young buck gets the PLQ after 3 years, makes it to jack or Sgt, realizes that he  isn't cracked up to be a leader, and they offer the next leadership course and he doesn't want it, what is to become of him??? Kick him, keep him, demote him, what??? I had a POISON crew commander in Recce Sqn in Petawawa before I got posted to Gagetown. I was his driver for 9 months, and he never bothered to learn my last name. He called me: Lamundy, Lagonda, Labamba, etc..... He was 3 ranks higher than he should have been (he was a Sgt). He got posted to Gagetown the same time I did, he as a Sgt, I as a no hook trooper. 13 years later, low and behold, we are both the same rank. So, in reality, he has held up 2 promotions forever: 1 to Sgt, and 1 to MCpl. I have a sneaky feeling he was a product of the DAPS era. I realize he is an extreme example, but an example, nonetheless.

I realize we live in a grey world, not the black and white one that the system would have us believe it is. Is it fair to boot guys out who are happy where they are, at their station in life? No it isn't, but is it fair for people who are unwilling to advance to criticize those that are? No, but it happens, all too frequently.

With the policy of late to allow people to stay in to the age of 60 (I don't know all the in's and out's of this policy, and don't care to, as I will be long gone before that bridge is crossed for me), I can only imagine what this will do to our military. I know the idea is to retain "knowledge", especially in skilled trades, but at what expense??? I personally like the British system (if it still is in effect) where you are done at the age of 40, unless you are an RSM. Is it fair?? No, but when did fair really ever come to play in the military? Is it fair that there is multiple standards for dress and drill in the CF (ie Army vs Navy vs Air force drill, when there really is supposed to be one CF standard)? Is it fair that when the Army deploys somewhere, the soldiers are usually sleeping on the ground, be it the woods, a gymnasium, an armouries, a curling rink, and the boys in blue and the navy winge when they get less than 4 star accomodations? No, it's not. The first time in 16 years that I ever stayed in a hotel (other than R&R's and LTA overseas) was last year when I went to Cape Breton to run in a relay race.

As I stated earlier, the most important time in a soldier's career is spent at the rank of Cpl. Not everyone can advance; it's just not feasible. But, to have people drag their heels when push comes to shove is unacceptable. I would have had many more tour opportunities and cushy job opportunities as a Cpl, but I accepted my fate, and have reached the lofty perch of Sgt. Off the top of my head, I can't think of too many swans, at the rank of Mcpl or Sgt, unless 2 months working with cadets in Whitehorse, or 3 months in Wainwright teaching SQ is a swan, or multiple courses at the Regt, WX, the Armd School are swans. Don't get me wrong, I like to teach, and I want to make a difference. It is hard work sometimes, and you don't make a lot of friends (especially the way I rub some people), but that's what it's about: teaching the young 'uns and hopefully one of them that ends up becoming a piece of the future leadership of the CF, and they aren't like some of the refuse that has streamed through over the last 25 years.

On a slightly different path, but something that ties into something that we've touched on more than a few times: experience. I was a student on the AIT (Advanced Instr Techniques) course when I first got to the School last year. Pretty interesting course, as it goes beyond the "hide behind a podium, and sound like an automaton droning out factoids". Anyway, the instructors were a Crewman MWO, and an Arty WO, so it wasn't as higgy-kissy as I first thought it would be. I suggested to them that they should separate the instructional techniques part of the PLQ, and let any (within reason) Cpl take the course, so that the CF could benefit from that vast pool of knowledge. I remember back a few years, and they made a MCpl, who wasn't qualified Leopard D&M teach a Leo D&M course, under the principle of "he's qualified to teach, so he will teach". I'm sure he muddled through it, but it wasn't fair to him, or to his students. I'm sure there were plenty of Cpl's that, even though they didn't know the lesson plan format, or how to make an overhead transparency (remember, this was before PowerPoint, grandson.......), could have "winged" it, and taught a lot of good info and experience to the students.

I hate to hear when they say that Cpl isn't a leadership rank, because I probably learned a lot more from Cpl's in my day (including when I outranked them......) than I have from other ranks. One of the most abused ranks/qualifications in the military is the CLC/ISCC/JLC/PLQ qualified Cpl. One day you're shovelling shit, the next day you're supervising guys shovelling shit, and then the day after you're back to shovelling shit. You're good enough to do the job, but not good enough to get the rank, even if there are positions open. From my perspective, the Armour Corps has been good with this one (I can honestly say I have never heard of an "acting-lacking" MCpl in our trade), but I know that in other trades it can be much worse (ie the example I gave in another post of a JLC Cpl instructing on a PLQ where his boss (a A/MCpl was a student)). My wife and I get in arguments over the reasoning behind this (she says that CSS trades don't get as many positions as Cbt Arms trades. I tell her she's wrong. Then I don't get any loving for a while  :'(, but at least I know I right  8) ). The sad fact is that we are playing catch-up after too many years of ignoring the fact that massive numbers of the leadership pool would be getting out in the '05-06 timeframe. Boy, I would hope somebody gets fired over dropping that ball, but odds are they'll get promoted...... I can remember back a few years, when it seemed we would send 2 or 3 MCpl's  from our Regt for a 8 or 12 student 6A (two serials a year). Now we are running serials of 36 to 48 MCpl's twice a year, so that they can crew command a vehicle. I'm sure it's the same for the other Combat Arms. I know money was (and still is) an issue, but even back then, I thought it seemed a little silly to basically only train to need, without looking ahead beyond the next fiscal year.

The idea of mentoring or tutoring the young leadership is a good one, but I rarely, if ever, see that happening. I ended up being the Tp WO on an exercise (as a non 6A MCpl), and I got shit on more than a few times by the SSM for not knowing "my job". Rather than teach me what to do, he shit on me, as though that is an acceptable form of training his subordinates. That went into my mental notebook of what NOT to do when in that position (as if I'll ever be there)....... I see some "professional development" styles of training, whereby MCpl's give drill to their soldiers, or Sgt's have to do essay's and the like to prepare for ILQ, and that's all well and good, but it seems that once you get to a certain level, it is assumed that you can handle pretty much anything, and then WHEN you screw up, it's the end of the world, and you are done. There is a serious fear of failure in our military (how many battles (in training) have we ever lost????) and so consequently, people won't take chances. I can't wait until the CMTC gets in full swing, and we realize that the "awesome and spectacular" combat team attacks that we executed in the past, were nothing but folly. I've had so much sunshine blown up my ass at the debriefs after these things that I've learned to apply SPF30 to my ringpiece before the big group hugs......

Anyway, to get back on track, I think that a good balance of youth and experience can save our bacon, but I think that a major mistake would to pass over the soldier's whose best before date has expired (in the eyes of the powers that be, anyways). I've overhead a lot of younger soldiers grumbling that they will never get anywhere in the army, based on the past 10-15 years of slow career progression. I try to convince them that they need to realize these things come and go in cycles, and that their day very well could come, and don't be contaminated by the negativity that a lot of the disgruntled Cpl's (and MCpl's and Sgts, and ......) spout off about. I'm not exactly an optimist by nature (I prefer to think of myself as a realist, not a pessimist) but I can see that things will probably get better, especially when we have an Army CDS, over the short term, and hopefully, once some of the dinosaurs that are RTC finally realize that the Cold War is over, and that them new fangled computer thingies aren't going to go away any time soon, they can retire, and tell war stories at the A&W down in Oromocto (one of the circles of hell, in my opinion....), and let the rest of us move on, and try to right the wrongs of the last 25 years or so.

Anyway, this has been a very invigorating topic, and since nobody has come in to rain on our parade so far, maybe we can present some solutions that may actually work. Not that anybody would implement them, but at least we're thinking of solutions, rather than just bitching about it.

Have a good one,

Al

Wow. This is possibly the best discussion I've seen on here. It is really nice to see so many Regs posting here now, for way too long all we got here was a Res perspective which often isn't particularly realistic. I'm a reservist by the way. We (in my experience in three different reserve units) have a similar situation but with a twist. WE have a lot of competent senior corporals who are willing and able to proceed up the career path yet are unable to because they cannot commit the time to take career courses due to their civilian work. This put units into a difficult position because we have to send someone and more often than not the people available to go on career courses aren't the best candidates. So you end up with a pool of really good corporals being led by not so good NCOs which inevitably leads to the Cpls getting out and the NCOs progressing and leaving poorly trained troops in their wake who then go on to become poor ncos with the spiral continuing downwards. What to do? We've been trying to figure it out, we aren't getting much help from the Army with their never ending butchering of the career courses.

No answers here, but one idea that was thrown around was for WSE promotions for some of the CPLs who were reluctant to take the course to give them a taste of the position. It got poo pooed though so I can't say if it would work.

Easy fix ... Do away with the M/Cpl rank, errr, "appointment", and make Cpl a working supervisory rank.  Add 2 more pay incentives for Cpl, the last 3 dependent upon successful completion of leadership trg.  This will give merit listing a fighting chance, as leadership qual pers are not listed in the same cat as unqualified soldiers with friends up higher.  Yes this will lead to more Cpls in the system, but the ones who seek and accept leadership trg will get a financial reward if nothing else.  It will also prevent young troops looking at Cpls as " just a Pte with a few cool courses", ie of no more authority than a Pte.  I heard it all the time when placed in a command pos and tried to jack up a pte.  "Who the f**k are you yelling at, you're just a Cpl".  The upper reaches did very little to back Cpls in this position, and the rot sets in.  Starting to rant again, 

CHIMO,  Kat

The problem there is that by looking you can't tell one qualified Cpl from the next but by having a Mcpl rank you know they have (normally) done the necessary training to lead.

Then make the leaf automatic on completion of JLC/CLC/ISCC/JNCO/WhateverIt'sCalledThisWeek training.

CHIMO,  Kat

This put units into a difficult position because we have to send someone and more often than not the people available to go on career courses aren't the best candidates. So you end up with a pool of really good corporals being led by not so good NCOs which inevitably leads to the Cpls getting out and the NCOs progressing and leaving poorly trained troops in their wake who then go on to become poor ncos with the spiral continuing downwards.

Andyboy - You have summed up my exact thoughts on the matter, which I have been expressing since Day One. That also explains why our Brothers and Sisters in the Regs often have such a distorted view of us - we are rarely able to send our best and brightest. Be it a callout, a Roto, or a Course - we could only send who was available - not who deserved it. Chances are that people are "available" for a reason.. (I know there are exceptions)

I stalled out at Sergeant - aspired to be BSM; the Unit and my BSM, TC, and BC wanted me to be the next BSM; and I was often an acting BSM - but alas - my civvie profession wouldn't allow me enough time to get onto my 6B... and therein lies the rub

muskrat89 said:
...we are rarely able to send our best and brightest. Be it a callout, a Roto, or a Course - we could only send who was available - not who deserved it. Chances are that people are "available" for a reason.. (I know there are exceptions)

Somewhat deliberately provocatively, I would opine that perhaps the definition of "the best" is in fact those that are available...and they are prepared by the those that are not available.  When I go to my toolbox, I want a tool that is in the box - not the absolute "best" tool - that may be at Home Depot or in a small workshop in Regina.

Dave

Sir - I agree with the point you are trying to make, but if I may expand on your own analogy....

I am a Millwright by trade, and, amongst other things - a Maintenance Supervisor at a factory. In my toolbox at work, I have a couple of thousands of dollars' worth of tools, and many are very specific for certain tasks. At home, I have old stuff, odds and ends, etc. in a "bare bones" tool pouch.

Now, I may be working on a project at home (usually my wife's van) that requires an 11mm socket, which I have. The problem is - the socket is more often needed at work, so that's where it is. Thus, for my home project, I make do with a pair of vise-grips.

Do they work? Barely....   Are they the best tool for the job? Nope.   Are they better than nothing? Of course.....

Regards

The problem with DAPS,.....well here we go[sigh].

Looking back the DAPS is what probably slowly killed my interest in being in the military back then. I joined at 17 and at 21 was a Bombardier. 
A couple months after that,all the Gunners/Bombardiers were being given drill  practise by a "dapsed" who had at least a year less than I did. He was older than I but at that age all I could see was someone who did not have the TI that I did and decided that I was going to pull pole.
I wrote out my release letter and submitted it, but to my utter astonishment, on the very parade we were practising for, I got my Master's also.[coincedence?] I was , in fact, so shocked that I really was not paying attention to the name that was called out and the BSM had to nudge me,[monkhouse always right marker] and tell me to go.

Anyway, I really don't believe that, at that age, I was mentally ready for that rank and responsibility and it showed in some of my decisions that later affected my career which then I terminated after 10 years.  The moral of this whole story[finally] is that sometimes by "dapsing" a Pte. to M/Cpl, there are going to be misgivings among those, for whatever reasons, are at the Cpl. rank

muskrat89 said:
Thus, for my home project, I make do with a pair of vise-grips.

Do they work? Barely....   Are they the best tool for the job? Nope.   Are they better than nothing? Of course.....

So to contiue the analogy, we should ensure that we a) always have vice grips - sometimes they are the best tool, and b) make sure that they are good vice grips, and not ones bought at the dollar store.

Dave
One of the Tools in Someone Else's Box

I have seen quite a few useless tools in my time......

CHIMO,  Kat

Does anybody remember RNTP,(Reserve NCO Trg Plan/Program) where a guy fresh off the street went to MCPL in 60 days. This was run in the late eighties at the RCR Battle school.

70 people showed up...........5 passed.

3 of them are on the DIN email as of today, all senior ranks as officers (Maj Above x 2) or SNR NCO's....(1 x Wo above)(all reg) {2 x MIA}

maybe the best will raise if we challenge them.

No regrets!

So to contiue the analogy, we should ensure that we a) always have vice grips - sometimes they are the best tool, and b) make sure that they are good vice grips, and not ones bought at the dollar store.

Well, we could settle for vice grips, or figure out a way to use the socket in both places... ;)

Cheers, Sir

I have to say, this is probably one of the most heated discussions I have seen in a while.

I definately have to agree on the tool terminology as this does seem to be the current mindset of the powers that be. If the tool isn't available, you can't do anything, but if you get whatever tool is available to do the job, the job will eventually get done. Although, the job may not end up getting done as well as one would like or to the same quality, it still gets done. That is something that is killing us.

I happen to be a reservist, a "senior" corporal, if you can call it that. At just under six years in, by reg force standards, I would still be a junior corporal, but the reallity in the reserves is that at 2 years, if you have the courses, you're a corporal. Two years after that, if you have the courses, your a master corporal. Two to four years after that, you're a Sargeant. It doesn't leave much time to learn in a position, especially when your position changes from week to week. I look around me at all these new corporals that have just been promoted and I have to think, why? They get the courses and are promoted to corporal, what ever happened to the Trooper/Bombadier/Gunner/Sapper/Craftsman/Private (T) positions. I know I fell in to that category, although I had over two years in before I got my QL4 qualification. I never even saw my first hook. From zero to two. I'm going on PLQ courses with people that have been corporals that have been in the rank for a few weeks, if not months, that have no idea how to operate the basic soldier tools. Why should a soldier be thrust in to a leadership role when he doesn't even know how to properly operate the vehicle of his trade or maintain his personal weapon. When asked to detail strip an MG, I've seen some of these corporals give me the blank stare implying they have no idea what to do. How does that translate in to a leadership role? I see people that I staffed their basic courses eligible for promotion to master corporal that couldn't do an emergency repair on a vehicle even if their lives depended on it. Of course, this is the reserve armoured perspective, but I'm sure that there are people in other trades that are seeing much of the same things, especially in the reserves.

It's a fact that if you can't get the time to take the courses, you're not going to get promoted. In the reserve world, who has the time to take those courses? The people that don't have other commitments. I'll be lucky if I end up finishing my PLQ this year, even though the powers that be are pushing me to take the courses. It all comes down to timing. This isn't as much of an issue in the reg force because you don't get the excuse that you can't go on a course because your Civie job conflicts. If legislation was put in place that people wouldn't be at risk to lose their jobs for taking a training course for the military, this might not be as much of an isssue. The fact remains that if you're available to take the courses, inevitably, you get promoted faster over others that would more likely do a better job.

Currently, my unit is in the midst of converting to recce. As it is right now, we have some of our few MCpls acting as Tp WOs or Tp Sgts and our Sgts acting as even higher. This leaves the Cpls in the positions that would normally be filled by MCpls. We're training to be Patrol commanders at the same time that we're training to become recce crewman. It just doesn't fit, but we don't have much of a choice because of the situation the unit is in. The whole acting/lacking system has worked better in the reserve world in the past because of exactly this reason. If you don't have the time to get away to take the courses, generallly you won't progress far past Cpl. I realize that they are trying to change this with the PLQ system of mods, but I do recall that in the early 90s they tried a home study JLC course similar to this that failed miserably and ended up with people in leadership roles that definately should not be in them.

When it comes to the Commisioning from the ranks, I'm all for it, if the person fits the bill. However, I've seen it time and time again where NCMs that would make great officers were denied due to the fact that they were needed in SNCO positions. It takes a minimum of 6 years to become a Sgt, depending on whether you get advance promoted or not, whereas anybody can come off the street applying to be an officer, and become a Lt within years depending on course availability. They simply don't want NCMs or NCOs commisioning in the reserves because it would take too long to replace them. I know it still happens occasionally, but it seems fewer and farther between. I know that the marines down south have a great system wheras you have to achieve the rank of Sgt before you even get a chance to become an officer. Imagine that, an officer that actually knows how to operate and maintain the equipment that he is leading others with. Too radical though, don't you think? This in no way implies that there are not officers that are quite competent in their roles, but the old system where if you have education, you can be an officer, just doesn't work anymore. I know plenty of NCMs and NCOs that have masters degrees or even doctorates that have no aspirations of becoming an officer because of the politics involved, but they can't continue in their current roles due to work conflicts.

I should probably stop ranting and raving before I say something that would offend someone though.

I'd just like to know when exactly did Red Green become CDS?  "Any tool can be the right tool" is as good a description of the current system as anything else, I suppose...

CHIMO,  Kat

Maclimius, I would say that this is one of the LEAST heated discussions I have seen on this board. So far, everybody has been civil, and discussed things sensibly.  A lot of perspective has entered the discussion, from guys stuck in the Cpl rank forever, guys who saw the rocketing up the ranks back in the "bad old" days, and young reservists, such as yourself, who are able to understand the whys and wherefores, and bring that take on things.

I was doing some more thinking on this issue today (uh oh!!!!!......) and I think, no matter how much we discuss it, it will happen regardless (just like every other issue in the CF). So, now we have to deal with it and live with it. I think "Attitude and Approach" will be my catchphrase for this. Attitude, because everybody involved will have to modify their attitude about it (ie. they want it to go away, they want it to be like it has been for the last 10 years, etc) and Approach, because we have to find a way for all sides to approach the problems that may arise (lack of experience, maturity issues, assisting the young leaders, etc).

One of the problems that I have seen crop up in the past are personality conflicts more than anything else. Pretty much anybody can pass (almost) any course in the CF (remember the good old "multiple guess" questions, the "review" before the written test that looked remarkably similar to the test, that attitude that there are no bad students, only bad teachers, etc,etc). If one has the drive and determination, pretty much any course is "do-able". Having said that, just because you've past a course, doesn't mean that you've mastered all that there is to know, and leadership courses are no exception. If a person feels that they know everything about everything, they are pretty soon going to run afoul of, well, everybody (young officers, I'm  talking in your general direction......). One of the instances of this that I (and I'm sure anybody else that has been around the block) is the new Troop Leader/Platoon Commander/etc, coming in, wanting to change everything because it's not how they want to do things, based on their vast experience, natch. Usually (hopefully) the Tp WO or Pl 2i/c set the young 'un on the straight and narrow. Not really any different for a young MCpl. Hopefully people (read: Cpl's who have been passed over, refuse trg, whatever) can help out the newly promoted Jack, by giving advice or assistance, where required. Of course, this requires a certain amount of diplomacy and tact, and the willingness of the MCpl to listen. The reason I say Cpl and not a higher rank, is that the Cpl is going to be around the MCpl a lot more than a Sgt or WO, and odds are that those people have bigger fish to fry (Happy Hour...  :blotto:) . Seriously, the Cpl will be able to assist just as well, or better, especially on technical matters (change a tire, remove track and bolt, etc). Hopefully the Sr NCO's will assist on other issues, such as admin, discipline, and the like, and give that assistance out of the view of the troops on the ground.

A lot of the more base human emotions get in the way of this type of thinking: jealousy, resentment, feelings of superiority......, but we have to put those aside if we want to carry on with the mission at hand. Teaching at the Armour School has given me a new perspective on some issues that I (and others) have mentioned. I have seen (in the past, and not too distant past) an attitude of some instructors that we (as instructors) are superior to the students (be they Tpr's, Cpl's, MCpl's, officers) because we are instructors. Great logic. I wouldn't want to disappoint anybody with the truth behind why some people are in the positions that they are, but suffice it to say, the right man isn't always doing the right job........ I have run into extremely smart Pte's and Cpl's, who are superior to their superiors (I had a young Tpr who had 3 years of a 4 year degree completed, but had to pack it in due to financial issues), and I have also run into people with a commision, that I would have liked to send to the UMS, to see if they could find a pulse and/or brainwave pattern. The biggest thing that has to happen, regardless of intelligence, experience or previous experience, is teaching and learning have to occur. And it can be a two way street. I am relatively new to the Coyote Recce way, having been on tracks for the better part of my career. I have had MCpl's on the (new) 6A show me many new (new to me) ways to do my business. If I was a stun-ass, I would dismiss this knowledge, but I would like to think I'm better than that. Of course, I steal their ideas, and pass them off as my own (j/k).

Just because somebody has a limited time in the military doesn't mean that they can't learn and accomplish a lot. I know that I am basically arguing against some of my previous arguments, but ain't that life....... I think that most people wouldn't pass up an opportunity to go up the food chain faster than their peers, or those that came before them, but it does happen. One of my buddies passed up the chance to go on his CLC when he had 18 months in, as he felt he wasn't ready for it, and that somebody else with more time in should get the opportunity. He lived with that decision for a long time, and he made out OK.  I think that if a guy with the time-in and experience (read as: a Cpl) won't help somebody who zorches past him (ie Pte to MCpl), he/she should think about a change in careers, as they are part of the problem, not the solution. I know that I'm a fine one to talk, as I have resented many that have surpassed me, but that's part of life: accepting things that you can't change.

Anyway, history repeats itself, and much like bellbottoms and big collars, the 20 year old MCpl is going to be making a comeback, and all that we can do is try to help these guys (and gals) make the most of what is given to them, and hopefully they will turn out OK. Because, Lord knows, the only thing worse than a shitty 20 year old MCpl is a 38 year old Cpl, who refused leadership trg, bitching about the 20 year old, and not offering to help......

Al

Maybe my choice of words with heated were a little off. I think what I was trying to come off with was more informative and insightfull. Bad on my part. Thanks for the extra insight from your end Al, it at least gives the hope that those that are in certain positions, especially in the reserves due to outside conflicts, still realize that even though someone shoots ahead of them in the ranks due to whatever reason, if they are still willing to learn from those below them that have the experience, they will do just fine.

I can't say much when it comes to the idea of a 20 year old MCpl. In fact, given that if I had received the courses then, I probably would have been 21 at promotion to MCpl. I knew that I wasn't ready at the time, and I still don't know if I'm ready. However, given the current situation, I don't feel as though I have much of a choice. If you don't have a valid reason for taking a course or a promotion, you tend to get blacklisted for quite some time. There goes your career progression for a while. This seems to be especially noticable in the reserves due to the small sizes of the units and the innevitable clashes between personalities. If you have the time off from work while a course is running, you are pretty much expected to be there. If not, good luck getting it the next year. Maybe the year after, but it doesn't look good. Yet they still send the people that couldn't tie their bootlaces unless they had someone jacking them up the whole time. How does this help when they are put in a leadership role where they have to jack someone else up for tying their bootlaces?

Now, as for stealing ideas, it has been my experience that without the senior Cpls and MCpls that know their jobs, nothing tends to get done. When a Sgt or WO that is normally in an administrative role has to fill in due to lack of availability, things don't tend to work as well as they should. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that they're clueless, I'm just saying that when put in to a position that you haven't done in quite a long time (for some of these people, 10 - 15 years), of course you're not going to do well, and the impression that the new soldiers get is that the Sgt or WO or whatever is an idiot. This may sometimes be true, but for the most part it isn't.

Maclimius, you may have hit the nail on the head (IMO) for why some people get places in the Reserves: it's whomever that is available for courses that gets them, not neccesarily who SHOULD get them. That also applies within the Regs. It's kind of hard to go on a course if you are overseas, so more than a few times the people who are fit and deployable lose out, while those that aren't sometimes get something they may not deserve. In my experience dealing with the Reserves (for tours, and whatnot) the people who are available are the ones who can put their lives on hold for 9 months or more. We had about 30 Reservists attached to my Sqn in '96 to train for Bosnia. Some of them gave up a year of schooling, or better employment opportunities, to go on tour. Long story short, they canned the majority of those positions, and we ended up taking about 5. I can imagine that those who were cut were pretty torqued, and didn't put themselves in that position again. And rightfully so.......

You are correct on Cpls and MCpl's being the one's who get the work done. There is sometimes the feeling "up top" that once you get to a certain level, you don't have to do any more training or learning, as it has all been learned. This is wrong, especially now (in the Armour Corps, anyway) as we have done a huge shift from Leopard to Coyote. It used to be you could go for years, and nothing has changed with regards to how things were done. Now, with the new technology, things change very frequently, and the "skill fade" is very rapid, so if you don't get a lot of hands on, you are pretty much screwed. As well, a lot of the dinosaurs are afraid of the new equipment, and quite frankly, don't want to learn. They want to cling to the knowledge they have of the Leopard, Cougar, Lynx, whatever, and not move on. Those types may as work at the museum, because that's the only place they're going to see those pieces of kit. I'm sure that if the Commandant and RSM of the Armour School can take the time to learn about the Coyote, anyone can.

As well, I have heard, more than a few times, that there is no requirement to learn about the ancillary equipment on a Coyote, as that is why we have a driver, a gunner, and a surveillance operator. Suuuuuuuure...... That pretty much plays into the looking clueless thing that was mentioned. I'm sure the same thing is playing out everywhere across the CF, wherever new equipment comes online, and people in "leadership" positions feel that they don't have to learn about the next new thing, as there is always a "somebody" who will know that job, so they don't have to. Forced retirement should be the solution to that........

Anyway, I'm still waiting for someone to rain on our little parade, with half-baked ideas, a lack of the concepts of basic grammar and English skills, and the .50 cal finger ready to play poke-chest with anybody with doesn't agree with something they say....... It's gotta happen sooner or later.....

Al

Hey, Al... just a brief sidetrip... doubt you remember, but I was the only guy driving a leopard in Camp Maple Leaf in '97 with 2VP.  Say hi to your misses, she was only with us a short time, but was one of the better Med A's we ever had in the Regt....

CHIMO,  Kat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back