• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pets

panderiz said:
So my best bet would be to wait until I get married to have  a pet I guess

You don't have to be married but it is nice having a live-in pet sitter!

Well I have intentions of getting a wolfdog :D But from what I have read they are very loyal to their owner and don't listen so well to other people heh so I stranger as a pet sitter might not work so well on their part ;-)

When you train a dog, you should get the smallest (not youngest) person in the house to train it and then it will listen to everyone else (as in a wolf pack, there is a hierarchy).

Depending on where you live, prepare for the possibility of not being able to own a dog that is half wolf.

I would like to fully agree with Moe's post about getting the youngest person in the house to train the dog.

I would like to agree, but my wife would not be impressed....even if it is a difference of three days. So I will just nod instead.  :nod:

NTF: It does work.  :p

hehe the good thing about wolfdogs is that so far you cannot prove that it is part wolf(As far as I know). It seems like it would be best for a pet if I waited until I have a spouse/family so there would be people it could trust while I am away. Or since it would be part wolf I could always just put it into the wilderness and pick it up later, I kid I kid

Once I am in, I would have to find a new home(s) for my two cats whom I had for 5 years now. It will be hard, but prepared myself with that possibility since moving to Montreal as not always easy finding roommates with cats.

Aww I am going to be giving my kitty to my grand mother when I have to leave since I know she loves the little bugger to death as much as me :p

hmmmm - coincidence?? Me thinks not.  reading the posts here and the ad in the corner just happens to be:

Serenade Kennels
All breed dog and cat boarding Located in North Gower

CountDC said:
hmmmm - coincidence?? Me thinks not.  reading the posts here and the ad in the corner just happens to be:

Serenade Kennels
All breed dog and cat boarding Located in North Gower

You have ads in the corner?  Yes, I believe the ads are generated by topic.  A friend of mine used to run a website and that was the case, although, for some of them, the connection to the topic was tenuous (not adult ads, just funny).

While not the norm (and maybe no longer even tolerated) if one stays in long enough to reach senior rank, you maybe be able to take your pet to work.  During my time in the service I was in a few units where the CO or DCO (and once the RSM) routinely brought their animals to work. 

One CO (on a UN tour) had one of the two "officially permitted" cats - it had the run of the HSU, was universally despised (cat and CO) by the medical unit pers but luckily survived all conspiracies (against the cat not the CO) to hasten its demise.

In another unit the DCO's dog was always in the unit lines (often when the DCO wasn't); it occasionally accompanied the unit on exercise, and once was briefly with the unit when it deployed on an operational tasking.  The dog, "Digger",  was "unofficially" adopted as the unit mascot and was even "on  parade" for the unit closure ceremony.  On a personal note, while I tolerated Digger (who was an amusing little mongrel), I drew the line at the combination of him and his master, the DCO (a less amusing but still friendly mongrel).  During deployment to Ramstein during Desert Storm, the DCO (who hadn't deployed with the main body) showed up one night with Digger and was to share my accommodations.  I objected as the DCO snored worse than me and so told him that I could only put up with one of them.  A few minutes later he returned without the dog, saying that he had put it in the CO's bed and Digger should be comfortable there for a few days until the CO returned.  After trying to sleep through the DCO's night-time noises, I think I would have preferred to share the room with the dog.

I'd be willing to bet with so many people with allergies (real or imagined), you'd never get away with bringing a pet to work these days.

When my sister was in Baldy Hughes, she used to bring her sheltie puppy to work.  He got socialized very quickly!

Back