• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pets

Well here pets aren't allowed in the shacks.  However single members can get PMQ's.  Also although I don't work for the MP's I haven't seen any strays and only a couple missing pets posters in over a year and a half.  I suppose each base has its own quirks.

What are you supposed to do with your pet if you already have one, then join the forces? I wouldnt want to put down my pet or give it away  :-[ and kennels are expensive and too cramped for a pet to live comfortable

kleobee said:
What are you supposed to do with your pet if you already have one, then join the forces? I wouldnt want to put down my pet or give it away  :-[ and kennels are expensive and too cramped for a pet to live comfortable

That is up to you to solve, Friends, Family, give away or sell,.... Not to sound heartless or anything but the military isn't looking for a few good pets, it's you that they are hiring and it's you they are agreeing to house, feed and train throughout your training. Hopefully your family will beable to look after your pet untill after your initial training.

kleobee said:

Ask someone to take care of your pet while you are away (ie parents).  Kennels aren't bad for a small period of time.  When I'm away and my wife is away, we bring the dog to a nice pet boarding place for the time we are both away (usually 3-4 days)

Max

kleobee said:

Whatever you do don't put your pet down because you're joining the forces. I'll take care of it.  ;D

Ok this might be the wrong section to post this question. My question has  to do with life on base. I was told by my recuiter that I could live on base while attending college through the NCM-SEP. I have a Ball python as a pet and I am faced with the decsion to give up my beloved pet to a stranger. I am guessing that the living quaters that I will be assigned to will be a like a dorm room. I have read on this forum that some people have managed to keep fish but would it be possible to keep snake as a pet ???

They're barracks on base and the only space you'd have for private storage (e.g. that wouldn't have to be just like everyone else's) would not be suitable for a pet :p  If you were on base in your own house, that'd be a different story.

You will need to find the rules for living in personnel at the Base where you will be residing.  I doubt that they allow pets in quarters as a general rule, but that determination will have to be made by the people running the quarters you'll be in.

Goibniu said:
Ok this might be the wrong section to post this question. My question has  to do with life on base. I was told by my recuiter that I could live on base while attending college through the NCM-SEP. I have a Ball python as a pet and I am faced with the decsion to give up my beloved pet to a stranger. I am guessing that the living quaters that I will be assigned to will be a like a dorm room. I have read on this forum that some people have managed to keep fish but would it be possible to keep snake as a pet ???

Unless you're an instructor and you plan on using the snake to terrorize students on BMQ?  :p

Goibniu,
I can tell you with out a doubt that you are NOT allowed to have any pets of any type in your room. This is located Edmonton Garrison Standing Orders Annex A. Also before moving in you will sign a Conditions of Occupancy Agreement in Para 1 Sub Para R states clearly that pets of no type are allowed. Ensure you read this document entirely then sign it. Save yourself a S***load of heartache.

Tow Tripod

Officially according to CFHA even if you had your own house on base the answer is no to exotic pets. Could not find any SQ's that allow any pets period according to base regulations (although I am sure that not every place is enforcing the policy).

Most bases abide by the local by-laws regarding animals.  You will not be allowed to have one in Single Quarters, however, the PMQs may be a different story.  I knew of people who had snakes in Petawawa.  CFHA doesn't enforce many of their rules.  Just go read about the garbage in the South Side PMQs in Pet.

I see that you're doing NCM-SEP, which means you don't have to live on base. It's really not all its cracked up to be anyways, look for a place on the economy.

I'm kind of in the same position, being able to live in for a few months while I get myself established when I get posted would be quite helpful (as getting a house-hunting trip is looking doubtful for me), but I've got a cat that I can't give up so I'll be living civvy-side.

Michael O'Leary's post was bang on. You will need to talk with the SQ staff for the base you will be at.

I know in Halifax the only pet approved is fish (ie: gold fish or beta) in the SQ. So the rules vary based on location.

I was hoping later on after my training, and then a little while of working for the army, to get a dog but I am concerned that I may not be able to keep him/her. What are some input you guys have towards this?

panderiz said:
I was hoping later on after my training, and then a little while of working for the army, to get a dog but I am concerned that I may not be able to keep him/her. What are some input you guys have towards this?

If you are not living in single quarters, you can have a pet.  If you are renting somewhere, it will depend on the landlord.  I've had dogs for years.  People in the military do tend to live like anyone else, with the exception of deployments, exercises, etc.  Just make sure you have someone lined up to look after the pet if you are away.  Kennels can be pretty expensive.

To reenforce Moe's post, out own pet story this summer. We planned out leave well in advance and thought we had some one lined up to look after out dog. Well, things fell through and alternate options disappeared faster than a breath in the wind. We ended up driving vice the train and taking the dog with us for the trip.

It was one of the best choices we have made and our pet behaved far better than we anticipated.

panderiz said:
So wait were you able to actually take your pet with you on deployment?

No, he took his pet on vacation.

Although, taking a train to deployment would be interesting.  ;)

Back