• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Potential Recruit?

jd3005

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello!  I'm pretty new to the site, although I have read threads and such pertaining to interests of mine when I enlist in the CF.  I'm currently 18 and a high school graduate  while taking some science courses at my local university.  Turns out that these courses were not particularly applying the skills I was learning, and I'm sure that they'll help me in the future if I ever return to finishing my university schooling.

I've been spending a lot of time looking for possible occupations that would suit myself and one that really interested me would be Med Tech.  I am certain this is what I want to move into although I have several questions first, and some of them are probably common knowledge and please forgive me for that!

I'm assuming all Med Techs go through SQ at some point in their training?  And do they have potential to work with the entirety of the CF?
I'm not the biggest guy right now, and am slightly struggling to get the Primary Reserve Test Minimum of 19 push ups.  (This one is kinda weird for me.  I will only do push-ups perfectly  but there are occasions where I'm unable to reach 19  and others where I get beyond 25.)  Any advice?  I really would like to a bit more prepared than the minimum.  Sit-ups are easy and running is natural to me - those are not really issues.

My last questions would be from your experiences.  How long from enlisting at the recruitment office would it take to be sent to BMQ? 
Should I enlist as soon as possible?  or wait to complete my second semester of university. (Ends towards the end of April)

I plan on heading up there Monday or Tuesday. (Depends where I can make time.)

My last questions would be from your experiences.  How long from enlisting at the recruitment office would it take to be sent to BMQ? 
Should I enlist as soon as possible?  or wait to complete my second semester of university. (Ends towards the end of April)
[/quote]

Just a little heads up, from my own experience of course, you don't just enlist, you apply, and get SELECTED.  The days of walking into the RC and getting hired on spot are long gone. You will have to jump through a hundred hoops at first, and probably a hundred more by the end. You will be months, if not years, so if you have a chance to attend university, or get a job, DO IT. Don't live you life as though you are automatically accepted. It may never happen.
Sorry for being blunt, but it is the reality of the application process.

There is no set time for anyone, there are many things that are taken into account.

For example, some people may need to get a clearance from their doctors for the medical, some trades are closed etc etc.

In my experience it took over a year to get into the reserves, but once I was sworn in I was on my bmq the next month. Other people in my unit that were on the same course waited over a year to be loaded on to it.

Get into the recruiting centre and hope for a quick process but prepare for the long haul.

jd3005 said:

I applied in March 2011. I am currently merit listed for two trades, the second of which just re-opened recently. In my experience, it's been a long process. I wouldn't wait to submit my application.

Back