• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

problems going reg medic

armykat21

Inactive
Reaction score
I don't know if i would post this here or in recruiting.  When I first got in I wrote the CFAT test. I didn’t do so good the first time I wrote, I missed my trade by 2 marks. I rewrote and qualified for a whole bunch of different trades. Now I'm trying to go regular med. aid.  but I was told I only qualify to be reserve med a.  The Recruiting Centre won't let me rewrite the CFAT even after I have gone to school for pre-health (math & science). I'm involved with St. John Ambulance, I'm a first aid instructor and I have my advance medical first responder course.  My file was set. I was told it's good to go and would be in front of a review board as soon as I do my pt test. But now they’re saying that I can't go regular force and I can't rewrite the test.  The only way for me to regular force is the med a reserve.  Is there and thing I can do or does anyone have any suggestions?

armykat21 said:
The only way for me to regular force is the med a reserve.  Is there and thing I can do or does anyone have any suggestions?

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking here...

I think what you're trying to say is the only way for you to be a med tech is in the reserves, as you don't qualify for a Reg F med tech position, I'm assuming due to the high school science course requirements.

I believe, and someone may correct me here, but the CFAT requirements for the trades are identical, it's the prerequisites that differ.

SO, it looks like you've got two options...join as a reserve med tech, and try to Component Transfer later to Reg F, or join the Reg F as a non Health Service trade, and think about a Voluntary Occupational Transfer to Med Tech later.

You could PROBABLY withdraw your application at this time, take the necessary math and science courses, and reapply after a suitable period had elapsed, (I believe there is a time-limit for how long a CFAT is valid for) allowing you to rewrite the CFAT (if that is indeed your problem).

I hope this helps,

DF

Maybe I can shed a little light on this, armykat21 is my daughter.  She wrote the CFAT over a year ago and qualified as a Med Aid among other trades.  She is currently in a reserve Armoured RECCE unit.  She decided to join the regular force as a medic.  Everything seemed to be going great unit the recruiting centre dropped a bomb on her.  She was told that she only qualified for a reserve medic, not a regular force medic.  Since she last wrote the CFAT she has completed the pre-health program at our local community college with around a B or better average.  She asked rewrite the test and was told that she could not.  She was told to join a reserve medical unit, take the same courses as the regular force medics and then try to get a component transfer.  That is what she was told and I am in no position to argue about what she was told, I wasn't there.  So we want to know what's up with that?  If she can take the same courses, why not let her into the regular force?

Something smells funny. Does she have Biology and Chemistry for Gr 12? I don't know whats up either.

I was always under the impression and told that as long as you completed some new type of schooling (completing a course and passing it) of any kind, even say just taking your basic gr.12 english for the heck of it, you could re-write the CFAT. That was how it used to be anyway as far as I knew....

That's what happened to a buddy of mine when he tried to join with me, he scored 1 pt under for infantry (LOL!!! - Yeah we teased the crap out of him) and they told him to go taike some course and re-apply to write the CFAT and he should be fine... He ended up doing that and got in some time later...

Goodluck though!

PS> Maybe message Kincanucks? He's currently a recruiter/working in the recruiter office... +Policy may have changed!

As I understand it, Reserve Med tech is under General Military as far as CFAT results go. Under the name R711 Med A* 433225 . While reg. force Med Tech is under the Technical headline . Under the name, 737 Med Tech 432225. And Technical trades req. a higher CFAT score, then trades under the General Military headline.

cgyflames01 said:
As I understand it, Reserve Med tech is under General Military as far as CFAT results go. Under the name R711 Med A* 433225 . While reg. force Med Tech is under the Technical headline . Under the name, 737 Med Tech 432225. And Technical trades req. a higher CFAT score, then trades under the General Military headline.

Dude, I hate to tell you this, but I think you`ll find 432225 and 433225 are the Medical Categories for those MOC`s.  They are the Vision, Colour Vision, Hearing, Geographical, Occupational and Air factors requiremtents.

MM

Back