• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Promotion & education problem

MagiChrist

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi to all,

I can't really say the nature of my problem here because of the peculiar situation that I am in, but I have a question to ask. Does someone that has a Bachelor degree (instead of the Police Foundation Diploma) and entered the Regular Forces as a NCM MP will still get promoted to Corporal right after BMQ ? I can't find an article that say otherwise and it would really help me to know more about this.

Thank you,

I'm already in the Forces and the I already asked the recruiters and they don't know.

My understanding is that the BA would ahve to be in Criminology or a related field; but as I'm doing this from memory I can't guarantee the accuracy.

Looks like it would be prudent to contact yor career manager and ask about completing a PLAR to see what can be done for you.

If you're already in, why not talk to the Base Personnel Selection Office - they're supposed to know these things.  This page from the Esquimalt PSO's office tells you what's required in the AVOTP section.

MM

Yes, the university degree should be on the exact same level as the college degree. The college degree/diploma is more often referred too as it is what most applicants join the regular force with... however a bachelor degree affirms you the same entry as someone with a diploma. This of course depends on your bachelor degree being suitable for the military police, which is essentially relevent to a criminal justice field, such as criminology, sociology, or psychology. There might be others, I am not sure.

To my knowledge, once done BMQ, all Regular Force Military Police members are promoted to Corporal (Regular Force, not Reserve).

All MP's get promoted to Cpl upon completion on BMQ. What you did to qualify for the trade has no bearing. Be it a tour in Afghanistan, Police Foundations, or Criminal Justice etc.

Blenkarn said:
Yes, the university degree should be on the exact same level as the college degree. The college degree/diploma is more often referred too as it is what most applicants join the regular force with... however a bachelor degree affirms you the same entry as someone with a diploma.

A university degree will enable you to apply for MP(Officer) opposed to a college diploma which will allow you to apply to MP(NCM). A degree would also enable you to apply for MP NCM but then why did you do four years of university?

If you score well on the Aptitude and are deemed suitable for Officer, you will be sent on a 3 day selection phase where you will be monitored, assessed, and tested to determine suitability. 

As stated above, speak to a recruiter for more specifics, that's what they are there for.

Legend said:
A university degree will enable you to apply for MP(Officer) opposed to a college diploma which will allow you to apply to MP(NCM). A degree would also enable you to apply for MP NCM but then why did you do four years of university?

If you score well on the Aptitude and are deemed suitable for Officer, you will be sent on a 3 day selection phase where you will be monitored, assessed, and tested to determine suitability. 

As stated above, speak to a recruiter for more specifics, that's what they are there for.
For the same reason that many other pers in the CF who have a degree chose to become NCMs? 

garb811 said:
For the same reason that many other pers in the CF who have a degree chose to become NCMs?

Elaborate?

I realise that just because you have a university degree does not mean DEO upon graduation. I also realise there are leaders and there are followers. Some choose to remain in the grey area while others like to be the center of attention. I will be the first to tell you that I am firm believer that the only thing that separates some Officers from some NCM's is a degree, but if you have made the investment, you might as well apply for the top.

Legend said:
Elaborate?

I realise that just because you have a university degree does not mean DEO upon graduation. I also realise there are leaders and there are followers. Some choose to remain in the grey area while others like to be the center of attention. I will be the first to tell you that I am firm believer that the only thing that separates some Officers from some NCM's is a degree, but if you have made the investment, you might as well apply for the top.

There are numerous people who join as MP NCM because the job is entirely different. An MP NCM would be doing patrol work, etc, where an officer would be doing paperwork, administration tasks, etc. This does not appeal to many people. Along with the fact that you need a diploma at the minimal to become an MP NCM, many opt for a 4 year Criminology degree as it will help them more later on when they attempt to transition to civilian police.

There are many people who do not want to be an NCM, and many who do not want to be an Officer, and its a personal choice of what job you wish to apply for when you go into the recruiting center. MPO and MP are entirely different.

Legend said:
I realise that just because you have a university degree does not mean DEO upon graduation. I also realise there are leaders and there are followers. Some choose to remain in the grey area while others like to be the center of attention...

:facepalm: 

Blenkarn said:
There are numerous people who join as MP NCM because the job is entirely different. An MP NCM would be doing patrol work, etc, where an officer would be doing paperwork, administration tasks, etc. This does not appeal to many people. Along with the fact that you need a diploma at the minimal to become an MP NCM, many opt for a 4 year Criminology degree as it will help them more later on when they attempt to transition to civilian police.

There are many people who do not want to be an NCM, and many who do not want to be an Officer, and its a personal choice of what job you wish to apply for when you go into the recruiting center. MPO and MP are entirely different.

Well said, but you find me a criminology scholar in the lines as an NCM. You do not spend 50,000 dollars on a bachelor of arts Degree to not give MPO a shot. Finish your degree, then tell me your willing to do the same job as a 2 year college bird course grad. But if that is the attitude and respect you will provide to your future troops, hands down, good on you. 

Stacked said:
Some people would prefer to take a much more hands on role, so the NCM route would be for them regardless of their educational background. Some people would rather an administrative role, so more then likely the Officer route would be for them.

I'm not sure what you mean by "They should apply for the top". Actually, I am not sure what the hell you are rambling about..  ???

Do you know what you mean by your statements? Is your distinction between an NCM and an Officer is that one pushes paperwork all day while the other gets the hands on experience?

The Top. It is self explanatory.

Legend said:
Well said, but you find me a criminology scholar in the lines as an NCM. You do not spend 50,000 dollars on a bachelor of arts Degree to not give MPO a shot. Finish your degree, then tell me your willing to do the same job as a 2 year college bird course grad. But if that is the attitude and respect you will provide to your future troops, hands down, good on you.

I know a WO from 1PPCLI with a chemical engineering degree. Not everybody is as narrow sighted as you're suggesting, nor does everybody know that they are going to be in a CFRC in 4 years when they sign up for a Bachelor's program.

Not everybody thinks that just because they have a "better" education that they are too good "to do the same job as a 2 year college bird course grad."

ballz said:
Not everybody thinks that just because they have a "better" education that they are too good "to do the same job as a 2 year college bird course grad."

Oddly emough, that's exactly the selling job the educational establishment tries to make in order to jutify its existence.  Are we now to blame people for believing it?

Michael O'Leary said:
Oddly emough, that's exactly the selling job the educational establishment tries to make in order to jutify its existence.  Are we now to blame people for believing it?

You are right and it's gross. Almost fraudulant what they try and sell.

To be honest, I blame my parents generation and older for doing that selling job for the universities. Once upon a time a Bachelor's actually meant something, and my parents sure failed to recognize the standards drop in most fields and a Bachelor's become the new high school diploma.

However, I can blame people for being naive / not making their own well-informed decisions, no matter how much the importance of "education" was drilled into their heads growing up. My parents religion was drilled into my head growing up too but I knew I didn't agree with them by the time I was 12.

Like most on the topic have said, a University degree for "off the street" applicants does meet the criteria for MP NCM with a few mitigating factors attached to that.  Those are laid out on the CF recruitment site.  They are pretty self explanatory.

Now to say a person who holds a University Degree is wasting their time as an NCM MP is off base.  In fact I think the comments come from someone who has no idea what they're talking about.  To imply "The Top" means Officer is again way off base from a person who probably has no experience in the trade.  The NCM job and the Officer job is completely different in the MP trade, in fact that’s why there are two different MOSID's.  Wow.

Legend, with your statements about a "2 year college bird course" vs a Bachelor Degree, you imply a person who chooses to go and do the college course is someone inferior to that of the person who chose to do the Bachelor degree.  As well you imply that a university degree is harder then the College Diploma.....I mean "2 year college bird course" to obtain.  I'd disagree with both your implications.

As well, what about all the MP's that didn't need a college diploma to be in the trade, or the re-musters who only need a few credits?  Most of the best peace officers I know are MP's without any formal education past High School outside of the CF.  But yet with your logic, how dare they attempt to do the same job as me as I hold a "2 year college bird course"!

Sorry to steer the the thread to left of arc a bit, but I hate when idiots chime in on things they have no clue about.

Legend said:

I can give you plenty of those. Hell, I could give you reservists who have bachelor degrees, or even a MSc in Math. There are numerous MP NCM's who have a full undergraduate degree, and more higher education. Once again, it is a personal choice, and you seem to be stuck on viewing MP and MPO as one single job. They are different jobs, with different roles. Certain roles of one don't appeal to some people, and vice versa. Honestly, in some cases, that two year 'bird course' is even going to be more applicable then a Criminology, Sociology, or Psychology degree throughout QL3 training. These individuals who have the college course will have more experience with restraints, weapons, police tactics, etc.

Personally, I think you are a bit over your head in what you are arguing.

Legend said:

Do you know what you mean by your statements? Is your distinction between an NCM and an Officer is that one pushes paperwork all day while the other gets the hands on experience?

The Top. It is self explanatory.
And, as others have said, it is obvious you have no idea as to what the difference between a MP and MPO is.  Many pers follow the Criminology, or other University degree, route and realize that they do not wish to ride a desk, they wish to get out and do the job, and those who wish to "do the job" and are smart join as a MP.  We do have a few (well, more than that actually) MPO who try to get down in the weeds and do the job of a MP and unfailingly, their primary duties suffer and the entire guardhouse pays the price as a result.

"The Top" is not self explanatory, it depends very much on MOSID.

Back