• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Public Affairs...Advice Needed

nicolka

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello all,

Come April 2011 I'm reapplying as a DEO for Public Affairs...the thing is I'm wondering if it's even worth it for me to do all of the things that I've been doing just to look like a desirable candidate when all that I've been hearing from people already in the CF is that they only hire for this position from within...Does anyone have any insight on this issue? Would I have a better chance biting the bullet and choosing a position I don't want and having to stay in there for who knows how long just for the possibililty of one day trying to transfer over the public affairs?

Does anyone know if they in fact hire civilians? Or do they only hire from within via transferring over? ???

Any comments are greatly appreciated!

They have not really been all that clear...basically just to apply in April if the position opens and that it could take years to transfer over if I do choose another trade.

raindrops said:
basically just to apply in April if the position opens and that it could take years to transfer over if I do choose another trade.

Sounds pretty clear to me.

Here's the rub -- PAO is now in the green.  In fact we are actually a few numbers above what our requirement is.

As for those who say that they only hire from within the forces, that's a load of bunk.  The ratio tends to be about 50/50 right now.  Some may scoff at civvies coming off the street to be a CF PAO, but it allows a good mix of operational experience and civvie media experience which seems to work well together.  I'm on course right now and there are about 6 that have any type of previous operational experience in trade, two that have transferred from a previous trade prior to completing training in said trade and the rest are DEO.

From my wee thoughts about trying to OT/CT (spent the last year working with RCSU's PA dept, and loving it), I was told there was 6 positions this past year, only one of which was DEO and it is not likely to be open in April. However - given the current situation I'll definately be going back to check in April, perhaps things will change.

I also stand little chance as I only have a BA in French. In the meantime, I'll keep working with the Cadet programme, hopefully going on DPAC in Feb......and perhaps hope that a pres spot opens. Now I'm back looking at social work officer (and I could be an UPAR if/when I get there ;))

Good luck

ArmySailor said:
However - given the current situation I'll definately be going back to check in April, perhaps things will change.

What situation is that?

Also, would they choose someone who meets all of the requirements but is not in the CF or someone that doesn't have all of the requirements but is in the CF?

Are there any expected positions to open up in April even if they are in the green now?

There will always be a couple of spots opening up each year to factor in people leaving the CF.

As for who takes priority - a serving member or a DEO, neither do.  It all depends who they have spots for.  Let's say, for sake of argument, they want a 50/50 split of current CF members and DEO (this is just to give you some perspective) and the higher-ups have decided that they need to fill 6 spots to make up for attrition, the 3 would be for DEO and 3 for occupational transfers/CFRs.

Back