• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Qestion about taxes and more.

old man neri

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello to you all.

I am new to this forum and this is my first post. I have been reading this forum for a while and have found most my questions answered.

This is my story: I am currently a reservist in Ottawa with an Artillery Unit. Over the last year I have been going through the application process to be a pilot in the Air force. Well I got 'the call' and I am scheduled to go to St. Jean come January in the new year(uber happy and excited!). My question is mostly about moving and taxes. Currently I live with my parents (I just finished school and moved back in). Canada Revenue currently sees my residence as in Ontario. In January I will be working in Quebec for a few months and then who knows after that. From my understanding in the first few years of pilot training I will get bumped around a lot. Should I keep my permanent residence as my parent's house and keep filing the Ontario Tax Package? Also what about my driver's license, OHIP card, car insurance, license plates....etc, should I keep all those Ontario based as well?

I found these two threads useful:

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/49350.0.html
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/40513.0.html

I know taxes are based on where I am residing on the 31st of December but if I keep my address as my parent's house is it still legal even though I am not really living there anymore? I have no common law, wife, or dependants. I really don't want to go through the hassle of changing my address every few months.

Any thoughts or insights would be very helpful. I know I am jumping the gun a bit but I don't like surprises and I do have certain finacial and investment decisions to make very soon.

Thank you all!

It'll always have to do with where your permanent residence happens to be at the end of the year.....

Il you have been living in a province more than 6 mths and are required to get drivers licence and car registration in a province.... that's your residence.

1.  While you are working in QC, you will have taxes deducted as if you were living in QC - you'll get refunded when you file your fed tax return at the end of the year.

2.  When you get to pilot trg you will most likely be working out of Manitoba or Alberta so it'll be one tax return anyway.

old man neri said:
This is my story: I am currently a reservist in Ottawa with an Artillery Unit.

That is your problem. Just kidding, I had to say it. Best of luck for you.

Old Man Neri,

Since the Feds won't be moving your F&E to St-Jean you will remain a resident of Ontario.  Continue to claim as an Ontario resident.  Keep your Ontario plates, license and insurance for the time being.

You are permitted to keep your provincial insurance and license etc while in Moose Jaw too - an agreement exists between SGI and the CF.

Zoomie said:
Continue to claim as an Ontario resident.  Keep your Ontario plates, license and insurance for the time being.

You are permitted to keep your provincial insurance and license etc while in Moose Jaw too - an agreement exists between SGI and the CF.

Thank you!

One other thing - your health care is covered by the CF once you're in the Regular Force.  So hide your OHIP card, as you won't be needing it again (barring any mishaps or complications during training - but we won't think of that  ;D).

Cheers.

MM

Regulars & reservists on class B over 180 days are covered by the CF medical system.

You have to keep in mind that all employers are expected to contribute to the provincial medicare program.  The CF does not.  If you are not on the EI or welfare roll and use a medicare card you are not entitled to use, the provincial gov't will have the right to go after ya for reimbursment.

File away your medicare card for the time you are Reg / Res with +180 day class B

Back