• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Question of the Hour

Wasn't it retired officer Rene Jalbert who, as Sgt. at Arms of the Quebec Legislature,  talked deranged gunman  and ex-Cpl. Denis Lortie out of  using the legislative chamber as a mechanical target range with his stolen  SMG in 1984? 

Yes, Major Jalbert won the CV and the Gold Lifesaving medal from the order of St. John for his cool defusing of the dangerous situation at the Quebec National Assembly.

Congratulations Shec, well played.

If you have a question to play, please throw it in.  In the meantime, here is mine:  In the context of the Canadian Airborne Regiment, who, what, when and where was 4 Commando?

Bonus Points:  Who was it's Commander?

Dan.

http://www.airborneassociation.com/cgi/history-histoire/history.php

After being in Petawawa for one year, in June 1978, the Regiment underwent a reorganization. The two existing airborne commandos were reduced in size and a third, 3 Airborne Commando, was formed.  At that point the Canadian Airborne Regiment was composed of five separate units.

The infantry element was composed of three airborne rifle commandos,
combat service support was provided by the Airborne Service Commando and
to exercise command and control, the Regiment had an Airborne Headquarters and Signal Squadron.
The total strength of the Regiment in peace time was approximately 750 all ranks.

combat service support was provided by the Airborne Service Commando = 4 Commando?

Geo,

Close to the correct time period.  Good guess but no cigar, I'm afraid.

Dan.

Hmm what I know about 4 Commando is this,

A British Army Regiment, Formed July 1940, Disbanded March 1946, Best known for D-Day and the Dieppe Raid

However I do not know the connection to the Canadian Airborne Regiment. Or who their Commander was, I was under the impression that either Churchill himself was their commander, or they received a few different commanders during the years due to re-organizations, but perhaps Lieutenant-General Alan Bourne? or even The Lord Lovat?

JB... The Brittish 4 Commando of WW2 has nothing to do with this question.  As exspy has stated.... late '70s timeframe.
Canadian Airborne Regiment

geo said:
JB... The Brittish 4 Commando of WW2 has nothing to do with this question.  As exspy has stated.... late '70s timeframe.
Canadian Airborne Regiment

Ahh, my bad. The only 'Commando's I know of with relation to the CAR is the 3 Commando units, I will have to do some further searching then.

Refer to my post no 2485
the CAR had a number of commandos...
1 CDO  (Para Coy from R22R)
2 CDO (Para Coy from RCR PPCLI)
3 CDO (Para Coy from PPCLI RCR)
CSS Commando
HQ & Sigs Squadron

There was, at one time an Artillery element & an Engineer element to the Regiment
AKA 1st Airborne Field Battery and the 1st Airborne Field Squadron.  These two sub units were subsequently struck from the Regt.  Artillery & Engineer support were subsequently provided by 2 RCHA & 2 CER - all out of Petawawa.

After further reading, If 4 Commando was not the Service Commando's as exspy had said, perhaps the Airborne Field Engineer Sqn? or even the Airborne Service Support Unit, after its creation due to the amalgamation of the Airborne Service Company and the Field Service's Support Unit

JBoyd said:
After further reading, If 4 Commando was not the Service Commando's as exspy had guessed, perhaps the Airborne Field Engineer Sqn? or even the Airborne Service Support Unit, after its creation due to the amalgamation of the Airborne Service Company and the Field Service's Support Unit

There was no 4 commando, there was a Airborne Engineer Sqn, Airborne Battery, Airborne Service Support/ Tpt,Airborne Mp"s, full service support.
            NO 4TH COMMANDO

bilton090 said:

There was no 4 commando, there was a Airborne Engineer Sqn, Airborne Battery, Airborne Service Support/ Tpt,Airborne Mp"s, full service support.
             NO 4TH COMMANDO

Yes we have gathered that there was no actual 4 Commando unit, however exspy asked specifically about 4 Commando in context of the CAR, so are you saying he asked a question to which there is no answer?

exspy said:
Congratulations Shec, well played.

If you have a question to play, please throw it in.  In the meantime, here is mine:  In the context of the Canadian Airborne Regiment, who, what, when and where was 4 Commando?

Bonus Points:  Who was it's Commander?

Dan.

Dan,
are you thinking of the two reserve units. Westies and QORC ?

Gentlemen,

Let's see, how do I refine the question for you without giving it away.  You are already aware of the time frame, so let me provide the following:  It was organized during an international event, the Commando was manned by CAR members (who said anything about infantry?) and has nothing to do with the Reserves or a Reserve augmentation.

Dan.

At the risk of sidetracking the question, the Canadian Airborne Regiment was originally stood up with two commandos, 1 and 2. The first was francophone, but had an English company, while the second was anglophone. Following the restructuring and move of 4 CMBG in 1970, the "battle group" as it was termed had two battalions in CFE, 1 R22eR and 3 Mechanized Commando.

When the airborne regiment moved to Petawawa in the late 1970's it was reorganized into a three commando organization. At about the same time, 3 Mechanized Commando was retitled 3 RCR. At some stage 3 RCR and 2 PPCLI switched stations then switched back again.

I am not clear on the machinations as it was a long time ago, but essentially the army lost an infantry battalion, a field battery and an engineer squadron (?) in the move of the airborne to Petawawa. It's funny how all our reorganizations to increase our efficiency end up costing us combat arms units.

JBoyd said:
Yes we have gathered that there was no actual 4 Commando unit, however exspy asked specifically about 4 Commando in context of the CAR, so are you saying he asked a question to which there is no answer?

Was in the CAR at the time

Shot in the dark here:

Would we be looking for something that only existed as a reaction force for the 1976 Montreal Olympics ?

old medic said:
Shot in the dark here:

Would we be looking for something that only existed as a reaction force for the 1976 Montreal Olympics ?

I think you are on the right track, if not the 76 olympics, maybe the october crisis in 70É

if not on home soil, maybe the overseas tour of cyprusÉ

Old Medic,

I can't get anything past you.  You have the 'when' (1976) and the 'where' (Montreal Olympics).  I suppose reaction force is close, but it had a specific name (in answer to the 'what').  What hasn't been answered yet is the 'who'.  There is also a 'why' to all of this as well.

Old Sweat,

You're right.  The only reason one of the infantry battalions in Germany was called a Commando was due to; 1) the reduction in 1970 of the infantry strength from 11 to 10 battalions, and 2) the need for an English unit in Germany that could be manned by troops from both the RCR and the PPCLI.  In 1977 the infantry strength was cut again to 9 battalions, so good-bye 3 Commando.  The movement of the CAR from Edmonton to Petawawa in July 1977 saw the disbanding of 1 Airborne Battery and 1 Airborne Engineer Squadron.  160 parachute positions the Army never got back.

Dan.

what - as counter terrorism support? or better perhaps you are looking for OP Gamescan where they were designated Task Force III? why - because of the black september seizure and the murder of israeli athletes in munich during the 1972 olympic games? who - the Airborne Int Section?

and for bonus would the commander have been Colonel Lessard?

Back