• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Rebuilding Canadas Military

scm77

Inactive
Reaction score
This came from the website of Belinda Stronach, who is campaining for the PC Prime Minister candidate.

Backgrounder - Canada‘s Place in the World

http://belinda.ca/Belinda/english/mediarelease_mar2_backgrounder.shtml

REBUILDING CANADA'S MILITARY

The Canadian military has been plagued by years of under-funding and spending cuts. While Paul Martin was Finance Minister, military spending was cut from $12 billion in 1993-94 to $9.3 billion in 1998-99, a decrease of over 20 per cent.

In 2002-03, the Canadian military budget was $11.8 billion. This was approximately $395 in per capita military spending in comparison to $1,425 per capita in the United Kingdom. In terms of 2002 military spending as a percentage of GDP, Canada ranked 17 out of 19 NATO members at 1.2 per cent, one position above Luxembourg.

Although Canada has the world's 34th largest population, it has the 56th largest regular military force and the 77th largest military reserves.

In its February 2002 report, â Å“Canadian Security and Military Preparednessâ ?, the Senate Standing Committee on National Security and Defence concluded the current level of funding for the Department of National Defence was insufficient to fulfill the many tasks assigned to the military. The Committee recommended an immediate budget increase of $4 billion to sustain current operations; increase the number of Canadian Forces personnel; increase training and capacity for new types of operations; and address the continuing â Å“rust-outâ ? of equipment.

In its October 2002 report, â Å“A Nation At Risk: The Decline of the Canadian Forces.â ? the Conference of Defence Associations (CDA) identified problems common to all three armed services including: inadequate funding; large budget allocations not available for spending on military capabilities; a shortage of personnel; a shortage of spare parts and other supplies; â Å“rusting outâ ? equipment; and decaying infrastructure on military bases. The study indicated that aircraft holdings had dropped from 700 to 300 over the past decade. It also noted that there is a severe shortage of spare parts and skilled technical people to maintain new equipment in the Army, which could result in 40 to 50 per cent of army weapons and vehicles being grounded. The CDA recommended that the military budget be increased immediately by $1.5 billion annually.

As part of her plan to rebuild the military, Belinda Stronach would increase military funding by at least $1 billion each year to reach and maintain funding at 2 per cent of Canada's GDP.

REBUILDING OUR RELATIONSHIP WITH THE UNITED STATES

Canada's economic livelihood depends on an open and secure Canada-United States (U.S.) border. In 2003, over $500 billion in trade crossed the Canada-U.S. border â “ almost $2 billion in trade every day. With 87 per cent of Canada's exports destined to the U.S., there are approximately 2 million Canadian jobs that rely on the free flow of goods across the Canada-U.S. border.

The federal Liberal government has jeopardized relations with Canada's largest trading partner and closest ally. Due to perceived inadequate security measures in Canada, U.S. security concerns have led to severe border clampdowns during heightened levels of alert since September 11, 2001. Border delays that result in production down time can cost a vehicle assembler up to $1.5 million per hour.

As part of her plan to rebuild Canada-U.S. relations and secure Canada's competitiveness, Belinda Stronach would place Canada inside an integrated North American security perimeter. The security perimeter would provide:

Enhanced security at points of departure to North America;
Enhanced security at points of entry to North America;
Focused domestic security measures; and
Enhanced security at the Canada-U.S. border
Belinda Stronach would build a cooperative relationship with the U.S. in which commitments are honoured and political differences are communicated in a respectful way.

SUPPORTING DEMOCRACY AROUND THE WORLD

As of January 31, 2004, Canada had 231 personnel serving in United Nations (U.N.) peacekeeping missions, including 193 troops, 24 civilian police and 14 military observers. Canada is also currently providing another 1,900 personnel as part of the International Security Assistance Force in Afghanistan.

At less than 1 per cent of the total 48,590 U.N. peacekeepers from 94 countries, Canada's contribution was smaller than other industrialized countries like the U.S., the United Kingdom, France, Germany, and Australia.

In a 2003 report, the Pearson Peacekeeping Centre concluded that the current military funding in Canada is inadequate to meet peacekeeping needs. The Centre also suggested that the cumulative under-investment in Canada's foreign policy through the Department of National Defence, the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade and the Canadian International Development Agency has led to a decline in Canada's reputation and influence as a peacekeeping nation.

As part of her plan to support democracy around the world, Belinda Stronach would re-establish Canada's leadership role in peacekeeping operations around the world. The plan would also focus on sharing Canadian expertise to help fledgling democracies establish themselves more successfully.

They all say what we want to hear to get into office and then they change everything they said they wouldn‘t and don‘t change what they said they would.

Originally posted by CFL:
[qb] They all say what we want to hear to get into office and then they change everything they said they wouldn‘t and don‘t change what they said they would. [/qb]
I think it is different in this situation because increased spending to the military isn‘t what the majority of the public wants to hear. If she was just saying what people wanted to hear she would have said that she would put all that money into healthcare or education.

Originally posted by scm77:
[qb]
Originally posted by CFL:
[qb] They all say what we want to hear to get into office and then they change everything they said they wouldn‘t and don‘t change what they said they would. [/qb]
I think it is different in this situation because increased spending to the military isn‘t what the majority of the public wants to hear. If she was just saying what people wanted to hear she would have said that she would put all that money into healthcare or education. [/qb]
Politicians will say whatever you want to hear in order to get into office. Then when there in office its "oh sorry we dont have the budget for it." They don‘t nessessarily serve the people but more there own personal agendas, so until i see more money in the bank for the Canadian Forces thats when i‘ll believe what the politician has to say. Until then it‘s all hot air...and you can‘t run an army on pre-election promises.

Yea, like everyone says, these politicians are not here to serve you and me, but to get themeselves into office. Yes, some of them may have very strong feelings for their own people, but the majority (think of all the politicians we‘ve had) just say what you WANT to hear.

"YES vote for me and i will be your SAVIOR" - yea rite.

With her saying she will raise military spending to 2% of the GDP... do you really think Canada‘s going to make such a huge leap?

I thought Paul Martin was going to the the military‘s answer. Nope. He hasn‘t done much.

She (and her people) are not inspiring my confidence, seeing how her people "forgot" 1200 soldiers serving in Bosnia (we‘ve only been here for 12 yrs and we will be there for a couple more). If they were truely intrested in the military, they might have noticed this little oversight...

I agree with CFL, I voted for Brian Mulroney‘s Conservatives in 87 and at that time they were talking about a ‘new‘ Defence white paper, and never saw it happen then....what makes you think anything good will happen now?

Do we vote for the devil we know (liberals) or the devil we don't know (Conservatives)?

I think the devil we don‘t know. Seeing as the devil we do know hasn‘t done f-all. What do we got to lose? Can the budget get any worse? :rage: Stupid politics...

Look at the options. A party that has screwed the military for years and show no sign of changing (I think Martin said his top priorities were health care and native affairs), the communists (who would have us solve the world‘s problems by hugging everyone), or the Conservatives. At least they promised something.

It could be that a lot of people really do have the best intentions when they run for office. But, power corrupts, it always did and it probably always will. No different with our politicians - they make promises "I‘ll do this, or I‘ll do that, just as soon as you check my name on that little piece of paper." But does this happen? I‘ve never seen it it.

[/rant]

Does anyone remember Jean Cretien with his campain promise about sales tax? Let me refresh your memory if you dont:

Pre-election: Yes I will be the one to take away the GST!

Post-election: Come on, you guys knew I was kidding right?! I think Canada knew in their heart that I was not serious!

you would have to be dumb to believe that a government would get rid of TAXES...

We need taxes and i personally dont mind paying them.

Back