• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reg's Med Tech, Lots of ?s Need Info Please

• Thread starter Thread starter Skammer
  • Start date Start date
I could care less if your 18 or 50, if you are a dumb Pte, you just a dumb Pte...if you try and learn and want to improve with a positive attitude towards my attempt to develop you into a competent medic, then I will give you every opportunity. I for one am a beleiever that being in the CF is a young persons game and youth and the willingness to learn is a fundemantal neccessity if we wish to keep the CF effectuve in yrs to come.

That is exactly what I was hoping to hear. I am enetering the CF (hopefully) to gain many new skills. I am eager to get in and begin training as a Medic. There is so much I want to do and learn.

Quick question, when you are out in B.C. (for the anglos) were exactly are you put up?  And are you actually attending classes at the Justice Institute with civies, or are they teaching the program at a satelite location that is strictly military only?

Chilliwack, for the time being...there are rumours of it returning to Borden as a function of Humber college.

Armymedic said:
Chilliwack, for the time being...there are rumours of it returning to Borden as a function of Humber college.
  Hmm, I thought one of the reasons the CF uses the Justice Institute was that they offered a PCP program in a compressed format (4 months) vs 2 years at CAAT/ITALs in Ontario.  Would Humber (or Centennial/Alqonquin/Fleming etc) be able to compress their courses in order to meet the CF's requirements and still be able to grant a PCP designation.

I guess we'll find out by Sept 06 when the contract is negotiated and awarded.

Armymedic,

That's very interesting to hear that an accelerated paramedic program may be awarded to Humber College in Ontario. Being an Ontarian civvie myself, I've been thinking about moving to BC to enrol in the JI's PCP program because of its accelerated nature.  Practically all paramedic programs in Ontario take at least 2 years at the current time...

Usless conjecture / Question: If Humber does win the contract, is it possible that the CF will replace it with the PCP curriculum currently offered by the Justice Institute?

Like you said, I suppose we'll have to wait and see until Sept 06. I was looking forward to moving to the west coast for a while. I've been eyeing the JIBC for another reason: their PCP program is a prereq for any civvies who want to try out for the direct-entry pilot program for SAR-Tech. I've been thinking that being a medic first might increase my chances of making it as a SAR-Tech sometime in the not-too-distant future.

Any comments on the quality of the JIBC PCP curriculum? Accelerated programs can always be 'exciting'.

Any input would be valuable, thanks in advance.

If Humber did get the contract, would this mean that those who go through the Med Tech training would be able to get there A-EMCA designation as well as PCP?  I know no one here may know the answer, but I think it would be valuable info to know.  And no I am not looking at the Med Tech program as a way to bypass going to school and paying out of my pocket for the training (cause I have already asked a few questions relating to obtain A-EMCA while still in), I just like having back-up/contingency plans should things not work out, and the whole idea of CF Med Tech Training not being recognized in Ontario on the civy side is the big reason I haven't CT'ed yet.  If I had to leave the regs for any reason beyond my control, I would like to know that I could still get employment in field I have worked.

If you have an Ontario PCP program, or an equivalency recognized by the
Ontario Ministry of Health & Long Term Care, then you just need to write
the A/EMCA examination.  That is assuming the college delivers enough
of their program to issue a certificate.

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/english/public/program/ehs/edu/equiv_qa.html

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/english/public/program/ehs/edu/exam.html

old medic said:
If you have an Ontario PCP program, or an equivalency recognized by the
Ontario Ministry of Health & Long Term Care, then you just need to write
the A/EMCA examination.  That is assuming the college delivers enough
of their program to issue a certificate.

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/english/public/program/ehs/edu/equiv_qa.html

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/english/public/program/ehs/edu/exam.html

If you have an "Ontario" PCP yes, but from what I have gathered here, the JIBC program isn't equivalent.  What I was wondering was if the CF switched to Humber, and they came up with a shorter version of their program, would a person who took it be eligible to get there A-EMCA.  This is a hypothetical question of course, seeing as how Humber hasn't been contracted (yet) and the details of a program of study isn't available (yet), unless someone here is in the higher echelon and can provide info.

It's a pretty hard question, lots of ifs in it.  If Humber gets it, if they deliver enough of a program
to give a college certificate. We'll need to wait for the contract for the full answer.

Even if it is a shortened program, it might be easily expanded upon by the individual doing
supplemental courses on their own.  There are still a few part time programs in Ontario.

Hello,

So, in Ontario it takes 2 years to become a PCP?  That seems long.  I can see 2 years needed to train an ACP.  How long are most ACP programs in Ontario?

David

DartmouthDave said:
Hello,

So, in Ontario it takes 2 years to become a PCP?  That seems long.  I can see 2 years needed to train an ACP.  How long are most ACP programs in Ontario?

David

It takes two years at community colleges because of how the class days are, you aren't there from like 8-4, typically classes are about 3 hours, and depending on the schedule there maybe an hour to three hours between each class.  Also you have to do mandatory English and General Education Class so you become a more "rounded" student.  The programs are much faster if you went to one of the two private career colleges that offer the PCP program, but also way more expensive.  ACP is about 8 months - 1 Year depending on whos teaching it and if you are part-time or full time.

One of the differences, as I understand it, is that in Ontario most institutes offer it as a diploma program, which requires a certain number of credits, hence the additional courses and time. 

I have no idea how that pertains to AEMCA Licensing.

FWIW, the ACP is about 18 months in BC.  The plan is to couple the 16 week certificate PCP to the 18 month ACP, toss in an extra term of business and management, and have a degree in prehospital care.

DF

Another option for those with a PCP Diploma- Search and Rescue Technician . shttp://www.airforce.forces.ca/athomedocs/athome_2_e.asp .Starting 2007, we will be accepting direct entries for well qualified applicants. I believe a Paramedicine diploma will be the requisite standard. Zombie, don't give up! Any questions PM. Sorry medics for hijacking the thread, but for the good of the CF........  >:D

Back