• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

regular force infantry, can't wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

arnold.c

Inactive
Reaction score
i'm 17 and just dropped out of highschool, i managed to get 15 credits within a highschool year just to do this. but they told me to re-apply becaue of a reason you can figure out. some recreational fun i'm used to having. anyways i hope to be off to basic in feburary, at least thats what they told me.

good luck to all of your personal journeys.

arnold c.

Why not finsih highschool while your still in the highschool mode. The army will still be there in a year or 2.

well, truth is i'm out of highschool mode. i think i used all my juice. i got the smarts but i need to work with my hands, and a added bonus is i'm helping out at home...this is gonna take a lot of stress off my mom

arnold.c said:
well, truth is i'm out of highschool mode. i think i used all my juice. i got the smarts but i need to work with my hands, and a added bonus is i'm helping out at home...this is gonna take a lot of stress off my mom

How are you going to help out at home once you're shipped off for Basic?  Or did you mean financially?

It'd go a long way to me believing that you "got the smarts" if you capitalized "I" once in a while.

I don't know your circumstances, but I won't congratulate you for being a quitter - you've just made a decision that you'll come to regret.  Many here (including me) made similar decisions in the past, most of us came to regret it.

Strongly recommend that you finish High School - as LWQ points out, the Army isn't going anywhere.

Lol okay, I'll start using proper English. Yes, I do mean financially. I'm no quitter. I just want to do something that will benefit the wellness of my family and whats most important myself. many people do agree with you but given the circumstances this is the best option I can take. My mom has diabetes so proper meals and relieved stress are a must as she has already been hospitalized a couple of times. If I don't want to continue in the military, I will still be able to enter college without a diploma.

I know we may be beating the proverbial dead horse here but I’m with Roy and LWQ (and a lot of others). Go back and finish high school. You’ll need it both for the military and any other career path you choose.

Also look at it this way do you really think the Army, or any potential employer/organization, wants someone who almost finishes something then quits? 

“Well Sgt we cleared most of that building of the enemy, but you know we gave up and decided not to check the last couple of rooms.”

Presuming there is a unit nearby, and also presuming that it will not adversely affect completing your education, which should be your main concern right now, why not check out the Reserves?  You can get an introduction to military life to see if it really is what you want before committing yourself to several years. You like it,  then the option to CT to the regulars is there after you graduate.

I would agree with you guys. Although there are many reasons why this is obviously a bad idea, I have. one reason why I should follow through. I did not finish half of high school then quit. I had this planned a year ago when i really wanted to make something of myself. I wanted this a year ago, i'm i'm finnally here.
I dont plan on becoming an officer by the way.

Ok Arnold I’ll bite what are the reasons?

Basically you’ve said you quit something half way through and not only are trying to justify it but asking expecting us to do  the same and applaud you for giving up.

Arnold you’re asking for membership in an organization that does not understand let alone condone “giving up” or “quitting” It is not in our mindset.

Perhaps you need to read (just read mind) some more here and not just in the recruiting threads either to understand what is expected of you. This is not a job, you want a job try being a Latte Tech at Starbucks. This is a lifestyle. To paraphrase our USMC cousins, there is no such thing as an “ex Soldier.” Both Roy and I have taken the uniform off, but we cannot shed the experiences that shaped who we are, and the bonds we share with guys like LWQ still serving.

Whether one wears the uniform for 20 years or just a couple it will change you and stay with you for the rest of your life.  It’s noble that you say you want to take care of your mother. That’s the sort of thing we do look for and want. However you need to really think this one out. If at the end of the day you realize that your values are not those we have then perhaps you should look elsewhere.  Either way giving up on education is something that will come back to haunt you down the road.

Well thanks for the advice. I do understand - but in reality, this can work. I make something good out of this. my recruiter even pointed out that "Many of the old farts, didn't even have their diploma". There are things you do, and things you don't do, just no regrets. I try to learn from everything. The military I something i've been wanting to do forever ever since i joined cadets when i was 14. I know what it feels like to be proud of your uniform. I'm not asking you to applaud my desicion, but fill me in on what to expect.

arnold.c said:
Well thanks for the advice. I do understand - but in reality, this can work. I make something good out of this. my recruiter even pointed out that "Many of the old farts, didn't even have their diploma". There are things you do, and things you don't do, just no regrets. I try to learn from everything. The military I something i've been wanting to do forever ever since i joined cadets when i was 14. I know what it feels like to be proud of your uniform. I'm not asking you to applaud my desicion, but fill me in on what to expect.

Yes - it can work, but it can work BETTER if you finish High School.  You're recruiter is right, speaking as an "old fart", I didn't have High School when I joined either.  Partway into my career I came to understand the value of an education - so I spent three years finishing High School by correspondence, and ten years acquiring a university degree by correspondence.  I wonder how much smoother my life may have been had I finished High School in the first place.  I wonder how many hours of good times I robbed from my children while sitting in the local library studying.  I wonder how much more of a soldier I could have been if my attention hadn't been divided between family, the CF, AND my own education.

I used to subscribe to the "no regrets" theory too.  But I'm here to tell you - although I am happy with who I am, where I am, and what I've accomplished - I have regrets.

Cadets and LIFE in the CF have very little in common.  Get it out of your head that because you were in Cadets you have an idea what it is to be in the military - you don't, you're deluding yourself.

I strongly believe you should be looking at a local Reserve unit - get your ass back into High School - FINISH what you started, and THEN consider CT into the Regs in a year or two, if that remains your choice.

This is going to come across harsh, c'est le guerre:  Your Mother's financial problems are NOT your financial problems.  It is not up to you to support her (or any siblings that may be involved) - that's HER problem.  I think helping out as you can is admirable - but the necessity to do so shouldn't be a deciding factor in any long range, life changing decisions you make for yourself.

First off, I agree with others that have posted, go back and finish HS.

Secondly, you are doing yourself a great diservice by not finishing, It will follow you for the rest of your life. As far as 'Old farts' go, that was a completely different day and age, one that cannot be compared to today's.

Speaking from experience you will be better off with your HS Diploma, Much like you I withdrew from Grade 11 at 16 to work and provide for my family, However it took me a couple years to realize what a mistake I had made, as I cannot help out much if I am only going to be working in dead end jobs the rest of my life due to a non-proper HS education. I went back at 19 and completed the rest of my HS years, and I will tell you this, best decision I have made to this date.

I personally have doubt as to if someone who is not willing to finish HS is going to be able to finish the rigorous training the Army has, BMQ, SQ and MOC to name a few.

If I don't want to continue in the military, I will still be able to enter college without a diploma.

I do not know where you recieved such information, but I am pretty darn sure that that is not possible, I don't know of any post-secondary institution that will accept someone without a HS Diploma or a GED. If I am wrong than I am wrong, however I think you have been grossly misinformed about this.

Danjanou has a good idea, go back finish HS and join the reserves, if you are still interested after you finish HS then go RegF, at 17 it sounds like you dont have much left to go? perhaps just Grade 12? if so why would you quit so close to the end? (and no matter what anyone says, willingly stoping to do something is quitting)

And finally I would like to touch on one other point, you mentioned you had no plan on going Officer; However an education is not only for Officers, there are going to be many instances as an NCM that a complete HS education would serve you well. (I know I am out of my lane on this point, but I do not believe I have said anything untrue? Perhaps an Infantry member can go further on this point)

Speaking as someone who did drop out (got a High School on my own time) it WILL hurt your career. You want to do something special guess what when your file goes to the Personnel Selection Officer that ever base has he will check your high school records and note that you did not finish and that my friend is a big X against you. Trust me you'll have to prove to him that you will and can learn at the pace required to complete whatever course or new job you will want. And guess what you have already told him you couldn't once. You tracking what I am saying here?

Go back, finish high school, do the Res thing and earn some cash to help out your mom (very applaudable thing you are doing BTW) and then when you have that diploma in hand come play with us in the regs, you'll be a better soldier and a better person for it.

Not getting your HS is a big mistake, period.  There are trades and occupations where this might not matter, and a little less formal education can be forgiven, but the CF isnt one of them.  In this day and age, HS is in most cases the minimum you need to get decent work at most any company in the country.  You should seriously reconsider your choice.

Consider this:  It's not what you do in life that you'll regret, it's what you don't do.

This is very good advice, and you'd be a fool to ignore it.  Besides, have you ever thought of how much time on Course and in a classroom it takes to train a soldier?  If you can't hack High School, you are not going to hack learning how to become a trained soldier.

It was my understanding from the recruiter that I talked to that completion of highschool wasn't as important as CFAT scores. From this thread it seems it is. Did I misunderstand what the recruiter said?

I realize some things are limited by education(like grade12 science or math), but that the main trades lack of education wouldn't be a factor untill later on in their career(plenty of time for a correspondence course or 4).

And if I knew then what I know now, I'd of definatly stayed in school to finish.

A couple of things from my perspective:

First off - while you believe that dropping out of HS to help your mother is the right thing to do - don't forget that she will bear that added burden of regret too - that she was the one who held you back - and that's not good for her health. No parent wants that - trust me, we'd all die to give our kids a better future.

Secondly - maybe you weren't doing too well, maybe the 'classroom' structure didn't match the way you learn. Consider this though - unless you're applying for a high-speed Univ Degree with a lot of competition, nobody cares what your overall average was - just that you showed the willpower to make it through the system. Look into getting the rest of your Diploma from an on-line program - many school boards offer it now.

Third - To cover what's been said here - look at the Reserves. I'm a career Reservist - 12.5 years out of my almost 16 are full time. I've never looked back, and virtually no regrets. As a Reservist, you can earn a wage, be at home for mom, finish HS on the side, and even work another job for more $$$. I've had young soldiers doing just that - and it's a hard drive, but it works.

Fourth - never, ever believe that you can predict the future. So you don't need a degree for some of the NCO trades - two years into your service you could become injured and released - with no career training, and no diploma - and sadly, I've seen that happen too - those are the poor buggers with a real problem.

There's literally hundreds of years of CF experience represented on this site - almost every option has been experienced or witnessed - listen to the folks here. Stay in school - but find an option that works for you.

Well.  If you have no plans of progressing past the rank of Cpl in your lifetime, then no High School may suffice.  However, you may find that you don't have a long career, as now a days it is expected that members 'advance' in their Trades or get out.  That means you must have an education.

CSA 105 said:
Listen, kid.

You ask opinions.  People with vast amounts of experience give them to you.  You basically then come back on, tell them they are full of sh&t, that you know everything, that you have it wired tight, that all the options they've given you don't work out.  Then you ask for more, looking, seeking, searching for someone to validate your decision and pat you on the head and say "OK little Arnold, you're right, you know it all, why can't we be just like you... sign here, we'll make you a Sgt right away because you are so gripped".

The attitude you are demonstrating on this thread is garbage.  If you ask, then get an answer, say thank you, think about it and haul it aboard.  People here have lots better to do than pamper your ego by validating an obviously foolish life choice.  Do you think your situation is somehow unique and you've made a brilliant life strategy that more should follow, that the Army should cater to in order to prove your wisdom?

Would I want you as a soldier under my command?  Not a chance.  The skilled NCOs working for me have many better things to do that have to deal with someone with your attitude and entitlement complex - I wouldn't want to subject them to the grief you're sure to cause.

Wake up.
With all due respect, you don't know what the**** i've been through, and i know i'm fortunate, but you forced me to say it. And no, i don't know ever thing, i'm actually learning a lot from these great people that are giving me their adivce and stories without being so rude about it. So i'm sorry but don't tell me about unique situations, or proving my wisdom, because by talking like that, i know you are my senior and I should watch what i say, you have no idea.Eeveryone says being a soldier is not a job, its a lifestyle, you see things and challenges you would never concieve in your dreams, its a hard life, but your living it. I and any infanteir can take an obscene amount of crap, after all they are called grunts. But bashing things so personnal to me, things i'm willing to share like that. we'll i apologize if this offends anyone. but its how i feel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back