• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Release Item 5F - Questions Release or Reenrollment (Merged)

Technician said:
After reading the DAOD 5019-2 I and the QR&O 15.01, it does say that I am able to provide a written representation to the AA. This I assume would be in the form of a memo? I am not too sure as being just finding this all out today. So would anyone have any advice on what I should do?

At some point in time, you will be issued with a "Notice of Intent to Recommend Release" and this will come from your CO.  So until you receive this notice, there is not much you can do, other than prepare yourself.

Find a good, motivated, Assisting Officer to help you.

The eloquence of what I thought, vs what hit the page, differ.  I stand embarrassed.  Withdrawn. 

:cheers:
ajp said:
An aa is just an officer assigned, at your request, to assist with admin within your situation.  Chooser  the most to experienced  officer, or most trusted., available.  But they are bound by the ruled.  They are not lawyers etc.  the assist.
:rofl:

:facepalm:
ajp said:
An aa is just an officer assigned, at your request, to assist with admin within your situation.  Chooser  the most to experienced  officer, or most trusted., available.  But they are bound by the ruled.  They are not lawyers etc.  the assist.

I know that this subject has been beaten to death, and I think I have read all the information that has been shared.  What I haven't seen, is any success stories... I know that, unless there was a clerical error on the release category; a 5F indicates you were a dumbass in some form or other. 
Anyone have any success stories of pers who were released under 5F and were allowed to re-enlist?

Thanks

Sarah9021 said:
I know that this subject has been beaten to death, and I think I have read all the information that has been shared.  What I haven't seen, is any success stories... I know that, unless there was a clerical error on the release category; a 5F indicates you were a dumbass in some form or other. 
Anyone have any success stories of pers who were released under 5F and were allowed to re-enlist?

Thanks

There will be very few. Typically a 5f release means that that is an individual the CF is better off without. That's the simple truth of it. There's little difficulty in recruiting, and anyone hwo has already proven unsuitable/unreliable once is a pretty big risk to recruit again.

Hello, I got 7 years in the Navy,  It's not a done deal yet but there is big chance I'm getting release 5f for alcohol related incident, It might sounds silly but I would like to know am I entitled for a HHT and such (Im in Halifax and would go back to MTL), Brookfield are not allow to tell me and release center are not sure as well...., also how bad is a 5f once it comes to find a job civil side. Thanks for feedbacks.

Technician said:
After reading the DAOD 5019-2 I and the QR&O 15.01, it does say that I am able to provide a written representation to the AA. This I assume would be in the form of a memo? I am not too sure as being just finding this all out today. So would anyone have any advice on what I should do?
Yes memo with attach references but you don't really have to worry about the form it's the assisting officer job you got to worry about its contain only ;)
You could start asking around for references memo style or so that could help you that's pretty much it.... for now

samuel777 said:
Yes memo with attach references but you don't really have to worry about the form it's the assisting officer job you got to worry about its contain only ;)
You could start asking around for references memo style or so that could help you that's pretty much it.... for now

The member you replied to hasn't been active since Jan 30, 2014....

Hi everyone,

I was released in 2012 under a 5f for substance abuse, I was going through a tough time in my life at that point since then I have been to rehab and have been sober from all substances including alcohol for more then a year. This December I decided to try and reenlist and application was selected for further processing. I was just curious if anyone has seen anyone ever get back in under a 5f release and if them selecting my application for further processing is a good sign. Thank you everyone and it would mean a lot for everyone to not judge me on my past I was young and immature and I feel like I have moved on from that point of my life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was always under the impression that it was impossible to re-enrol after a 5F release, so the fact that you were selected for further processing is more than I would've expected. I'd be interested in hearing how your application goes.

westcoastrider7 said:
I was released in 2012 under a 5f

For reference, perhaps,

Reenlisting after being released on a 5f

will be merged with,

5F Release questions/answers (merged)
http://milnet.ca/forums/threads/102903.75
4 pages.

As always,  Recruiting is your most trusted source of information.

First Congrats on a year sober.

I don't know how hard it will get to be back, but I would say you would have to jump through a few extra hoops. And depending on what charges you had before you may have a very short leash if you got back.

I hope you do, because I think a recovering addict is a very good resource for the forces. There are a lot of people with issues that need peers to look up to. A year sober is a huge mountain when you are looking up at it.

Best of luck.

gryphonv said:
First Congrats on a year sober.

I don't know how hard it will get to be back, but I would say you would have to jump through a few extra hoops. And depending on what charges you had before you may have a very short leash if you got back.

I hope you do, because I think a recovering addict is a very good resource for the forces. There are a lot of people with issues that need peers to look up to. A year sober is a huge mountain when you are looking up at it.

Best of luck.

Thank you for your kind words, I've never been in trouble with the law, everything on my credit check is good to go. I have a extremely good paying job now I just miss the military and would actually probably take quite a pay cut going back in but I miss it everyday and I wish I had this all figured out when I was in. I figured it would be worth a shot trying to get back in. Thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know a fella that was kicked out twice and still got back in. It took the third punt to finally keep him out!

Hope that helps!

For reference, perhaps,

Reenlisting after being released on a 5f

will be merged with,

5F Release questions/answers (merged)
http://milnet.ca/forums/threads/102903.75
4 pages.

See also,

Getting Back In/Re-enrolling Mega Thread 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/294.475
37 pages.

As always,  Recruiting is your most trusted source of information.

Sorry for reviving a very old thread. I've had some people in similar situations PM me over the past few years hoping to find out if I had any trouble with the visa process because of this problem. I figured I'd just write an update here to serve anyone else in the future.

Long story short, it wasn't an issue. Everything went fine. My visa was approved. I'm living happily with my now-wife south of the border as a permanent resident. As a few folks here helpfully pointed out, a 5 release isn't considered "dishonorable". As such, I doubt USCIS cared about the specifics.

Thanks again to those who responded to the original post.

Back