• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserve Co-op enrollment 2014-2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
scriptox said:
Haha Canada94, the first two links you posted refer directly to the program I was supposed to enter.. small world  :p.

As you can see with the first link, they cancelled it for the South Halton because RHLI didn't want to host it in their Burlington Armoury anymore :(.

Good to know. I have heard my local regiment had large decreases in class sizes these are probably do to the cuts the reserves faced last winter, however its all heresay.

A couple of my friends actually joined the res through the CO-OP program!

Thanks for all the links and help. I'll make sure to contact the nearest base to me as soon as possible!

I have completed all the requirements to join the program [size=9pt](CFAT, PT, INTERVIEW, RELIABILITY CHECK, MEDICALS) which starts in February 2013. I was hoping someone can tell me when I would expect to get a call from Ottawa regarding if I made it in to the program or not. The anxiety is killing me lol :) My last requirement was the medicals which was done on December 3, 2012. I applied for Combat Engineer as my first choice and ACISS as my second. Thanks![/size]

Wow. Frig. Normal font size please. Completely unnecessary to make your text larger than the default; this isn't some MSN chat.

If you are joining a reserve unit in the co-op program, the unit should be the ones to get in touch with you. I don't see any reason Ottawa would need to get in touch with you directly. Ottawa isn't even where recruiting is centralized anyway.

Once the recruiting centre dealing wit your file has you as having passed everything, your file is sent to the reserve unit. If you've passed everything, your next step is your formal enrolment. That happens at the reserve unit. They will in the meantime have done the legwork necessary to load you on a Basic Military Qualification course.

The reserve units have been shut down since about mid Dec and should begin to start back up this week. This will be very routine and mundane admin for whoever's dealing with it; they'll get to you in time, probably in a few weeks.

Depends how you did on the requirements. Wait and see, and please, cut the font down a tad.

I am thinking of doing co-op in the armed forces in grade 11. What kind of stuff do they do there and will it look good on my RMC application?

Pretty much anything that is extracurricular will "look good" on your application. Here's a link to check out too:

http://www.dsbn.edu.on.ca/armyreserve/index.aspx?id=13899

I live in Toronto, and this is located in St. Catherines. I guess this isn't a viable option for me? Also, do they have something in the air trades?

Unless Co-Op is available in your area,  you won't be doing it.  There are other things you can do too add to your RMC application that don't involve the Reserves.  AFAIK Co-Op is only for the Army Reserve,  not for the Air or Navy Reserve.

Should ask around your school too see if it is available.

I found this on a google search - may or may not be applicable too you
http://www.employerregistry.ca/L/Haltonen/Programs/SpecialtyPrograms/CanadianForcesSpecialty/tabid/572/Default.aspx

SIROEW said:
http://www.dsbn.edu.on.ca/armyreserve/index.aspx?id=13899

WHAT YOU'LL DO:
Learn to inspect and maintain vehicles and equipment (e.g. clothing, survival gear and personal equipment);
Learn to operate with support elements such as logistics, artillery and armored vehicles;
Learn to employ field craft and procedures including camouflage and concealment, internal security, patrol, escape and evasion tactics.

Is a driver wheel part of this program? 

Learn to operate with armoured vehicles?  Does a Reg Force unit support this training?  Otherwise I don't see them operating with armoured vehicles during a Reserve BMQ/BMQ-Land and possible DP1(if they stay in that long)

Escape and Evasion? 

-Skeletor- said:

Learn to operate with armoured vehicles?  Does a Reg Force unit support this training?  Otherwise I don't see them operating with armoured vehicles during a Reserve BMQ/BMQ-Land and possible DP1(if they stay in that long)

Escape and Evasion?

Me thinks someone used creative writing for that program.....

For a no BS from someone who has spent time in combat arms reserve and reg force. The Co-op program gives you a knowledge base of what the army is but doesn't give you the education on how it operates.

The lack of inspections and PT is something I never had. However, after working with graduates of this program I can say that they were never up to par after reaching the next level of training. It is a sad reality but the truth. Pt always fell behind and general military knowledge was sub standard.

However once upon a time being a reservist... I truly believe that even with part time courses you can gain  very good skills. You have to put in what you want out of it. Your spare time at home you have to study and know what you are doing. You have to do a lot of things on your own time and the learning curve can be steep. Just press on and do the best.

If you have any questions just send me a PM.

-Skeletor- said:

Escape and Evasion?

When I did my Co-op 8 years ago there was no armoured vehicles or vehicles of any kind. The only time I got any where near vehicles from an operator standpoint was when I was offered my Driver wheel package right after my DP1.

Co-op isn't a bad program for those who are dedicated to it.  The problem comes when you have 75% of the troops quit after the BMQ-Land portion, because all they wanted was the money and the credit, and the rest start to drop quite fast.
I know for a fact there are only 4 people still in now out of my crse of 25.

I'm finding reserves as a whole are starting to get soft. PT is at a minimal and inspections are rare because everyone is more worried about fitting in the 6hrs of lectures into the 3 hrs of time that they have on a Thursday night. As bananaman said you have to put in what you want out of it.

You may want to consider devoting your time to advance classes and getting as high a mark as possible in highschool instead of a coop BMQ.

BMQ can be very time consuming especially if you're are spending a weekend or two per month away on exercise or making up classes you possibly missed during the week.

Just judging on the threads about RMC on this forum they appear to take school marks and courses over a reserve basic training qualification.

Just an update for anyone wondering about this. The armed forces information booth people came to my school today and I asked for information on this matter. She said that if you want to go to RMC, co-op is not a good way to go and you should focus more on your academic marks. (Basically what the previous poster said)

Yea, this reserve stuff is too far away from me

If you live in Toronto the reserves are definately not to far from you, there are many units to choose from. In terms of co op in Toronto, I know that the Queens York Rangers get the majorityof their new troops through the co op program.

I just found out that I got accepted into the program for an infantry reserve position. I'd like to hear from anyone who has been through the program about what is taught in the program and what is the curriculum like for the entire thing? Thanks a bunch!

You do Basic Training (BMQ) and Soldier Qualification (SQ).  Recommend you search.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back