• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserves and the RCMP (and Other Civilian Police)

Aren't CIC instructors CF members also?   ???

True, CIC are members of the CF as they are a component of the Reserve Force (Primary Reserve (Militia), Supplementary Ready Reserve (retired and former members), Cadet Instructors Cadre and Canadian Rangers). Having said this, CIC does not fulfill any type of operational role within the CF.

Quite correct, Gunner. Our job is very specific in being the staff DND/CF provides to administer the Cadet programs, as detailed in the NDA Sec 46.

RCMP members are a valuable addition to the CIC ranks.

I know for a fact that there are members of the RCMP who are also in the Primary Reserve through one loophole or another, and are actively campaigning to the government to change policy. So there is hope......

My ex-gf's sister was married to an RCMP constable who was also in the reserves out in BC.....we're not talking so I cant help you any farther than the fact that I've met one.....haha...this is like cryptozoology....

"I know bigfoot exists.....because Ive seen him!!!"

I had always thought (Through reading it somewhere) that because of the precedent set during the October Crisis, that RCMP and Military couldn't cross over because the CF is considered Law Enforcement. Whiskey, here's a good one for you to weigh in on.

About RCMP and Commissions, my old Platoon Commander had a long beef with one of the local Mounties and I personally witnessed him jack up the Constable for not saluting him. Not a nice thing to do, not the way to handle it, but from what I understand, the Lt was within his rights to do it. Rebuttals?

Thats correct. Actually any person in Law Enforcement who takes a schedule 3 oath swearing allegience to the queen should be saluting an officer....at least that what I've been taught. However with regards to your specific post, in the detachment I worked in all the queens cowboys saluted officers...

bick said:
As it was explained to me, we are not able to join so that in case of national emergency, the govt can call upon the reserves and RCMP and not worry about any crossover.
Still curious about the guy in Vancouver, but rumours are rumours.

I heard that my plt commander (12 Fd Amb, Vancouver) works for RCMP, but I am not sure what position is he working for.

QR&O's are very specific when it comes to a member of the RCMP and the note at the end of Article 6.01 makes it very clear that any back doors into the Reserves were being consciously closed so I doubt very much that someone has found a legal way in.

6.01 â “ QUALIFICATIONS FOR ENROLMENT
(2) Subject to paragraph (5), the following persons shall not be enrolled in the Canadian Forces:

(a) a member of any other of Her Majesty's forces, or of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police;

(5) A member of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police may be enrolled in the Cadet Instructor Cadre. (4 August 1998)

(M) (4 August 1998)

NOTE

A member of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police enrolled in the Cadet Instructor Cadre is not eligible for transfer to another sub-component of the Reserve Force (See article 10.06 (Transfer Between Sub-components of The Reserve Force)).

The RCMP Act provides insight as to why this is.   It'd be interesting to know how many members are actually aware they could be ordered out of Canada and even more interesting to know what their pay scale is while on a UN mission (ie. overtime etc).   Hmm...maybe there's something to the oft repeated rumour that the RCMP is absorbing the MP Branch...bring me the Serge and show me the money baby! ;)

Employment of Force   4. The Force may be employed in such places within or outside Canada as the Governor in Council prescribes.

R.S., c. R-9, s. 4.

argylls_recruiting said:
May be he's a civilian member of the RCMP.

Civilian members are not allowed to state they are members of the RCMP - for pretty obvious reasons.  If they got caught their job would be on the line.

I had seen in offical writing back in the 80s about this topic, and the word 'paramilitary force' was used, in reference to the RCMP, and it had something to do with that. You can't be in two 'Forces' of Canada at once. Check into it. It makes sense, like being in the Regs and in the Militia at the same time.

However, we all know that regional police throughout Canada, can also be reserve members.

Did you know that everyday RCMP items like everyday CF items have NSNs with a 21 country designator?

Cheers,

Wes

Griswald said:
Civilian members are not allowed to state they are members of the RCMP - for pretty obvious reasons.   If they got caught their job would be on the line.

I have some friends who are RCMP "CM's", and have a badge identical to a regular member, except it says CM on the bottom. They were in the foresics and armourer areas of F Division, and maybe because of their trades they get a badge, as I can't see a receptionist having one. One is in the Militia currently, the other used to be years ago.

Cheers,

Wes

Wesley H. Allen said:
I have some friends who are RCMP "CM's", and have a badge identical to a regular member, except it says CM on the bottom. They were in the foresics and armourer areas of F Division, and maybe because of their trades they get a badge, as I can't see a receptionist having one. One is in the Militia currently, the other used to be years ago.

Similar for the city police departments, they swear in their forensic and property staff, and they are formally called "Special Constables", much like the Transit staff were.  But thats mainly because they have to handle drugs and swear things in for court purposes, and other things that they otherwise would not be able to do legally.  Heck even one department that I know of had their financial accountant sworn in because it used to be  a police member that did the job, so that was more due to a union grievance.  But they aren't truly civilian staff, and highly doubtful they would tell anyone they are "members".

THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION IS EASY AND DEALS WITH HISTORY.  THE RCMP FORMERLY NWMP WAS RAISED AS A PARAMILITARY FORCE TO DO BATTLE WITH RIEL.  THE FORCE IS STILL ON THE BOOKS AS A PARAMILITARY UNIT.  UP UNTIL SOMEWHERE IN TH 70's, WE USED TO DO "LATERAL" TRANSFERS BETWEEN THE FORCES & RCMP AND OTHER FED DEPARTMENTS.  THIS WAS KILLED IN THE 70's DUE IN PART TO PENSION AND SENIORITY PROBLEMS.

CH1: If you don't know all capital letters means yelling on this forum. FYI

Best Wishes ;)

Sorry guys. Ignorance on my part! I stand gratefully corrected.  old hands used to trigger & tty! Not this confounded abaCUSS.

The reason RCMP cannot join the mo, but city police etc. can is because technically the RCMP is considered a dragoon Regiment on the books of the Cf. therefore you cannot serve in 2 regiments at the same time and join the mo.

Q 1 said:
The reason RCMP cannot join the mo, but city police etc. can is because technically the RCMP is considered a dragoon Regiment on the books of the Cf. therefore you cannot serve in 2 regiments at the same time and join the mo.

Don't know where you guys get this stuff. Close but no cigar. They have NO connection to the CF. Read the rest of the thread.

Sigh.... check this out then if your so smart

www.Regiments.org/regiments/na-canada/cav/rcmp.htm

Back