• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserves - Kit

"a) I have no respect for recruits, especially ones asking dumbass questions. pass your course and I might show you some.
b) I get many, MANY questions like yours every day. They‘re always the same, annoying as ****, and totally pointless. If I "pencilled in 3 minutes" for each of them...you get the idea.
c) I‘m not fighting with you. My last post was directed at Kurbo.
d) you‘re not a god**** private, you‘re a recruit. pull that ******* chevron off of your profile, you haven‘t earned it yet.
that‘s it from me. if you have any intelligent questions to ask in the future I‘ll be more than happy to answer them. untill then, go away. "

Is this really a good example of a leader?
I don‘t know if it‘s me but I find it kinda scary when a LEADER says "I have no respect for recruits".
What happens when someone who wants to join the army comes here and see‘s that an instructor they might have possibly wont respect them?
What an excellent way to make someone feel welcomed to the Canadian Forces, maybe you should work in recruiting. Thats just horrible.

Falcon theres a difference between someone being on course and someone asking a question in the recruiting form on a public web site.

You guys need to relax.

I am quite relaxed, ask my shrink he told me the same thing, you might require a medium though.

Falcon,
Re: Drills, etc. Like the Speedy commercial: "First you get good, then you get fast". They‘ll never get confident if you tear them a new ******* every time. Don‘t forget, we all started at the same place. None of us were born knowing misfire drills. Patience is a virtue. All the other platitudes, "You catch more flys with honey" etc, apply. We all have lousy days and short tolerance at times. Sometimes, (most times) I‘m no saint either.....but. Square breathing my Brother.

I did not say yelling and screaming all the time a la Sgt. Hartman (Full Metal Jacket). I said it was acceptable (at least to me) from time to time and when warranted. Like if you are under "contact" (you know out in the field, and not on the parade square), and the troops can not get the gun going. At that point the troops should have had enough practice time on the guns and they should have passed thier handling tests, and be good to go for the field. Have I made it clear what I mean yet?

Falcon I was with C troop B BTY 1RCHA ROTO7. I spent the fisrt 3 months living in a tent just out side of Glamoc. I then moved to TSG and contined on for the remainder of my tour. during my tour i was employed as a C9 gunner. My reserve unit was 56 BTY 5 FD REGT RCA. I was a Gun Det Cmdr when I left for the airforce for full time employment with good money(hence why i bought a new truck). as for you not believing me if i was or was not in Bosnia,or even in the military hmm well i guess everyone has an opinion. some are justified some are misinformed. people dont have to brag about what they have done or not done to be accepted, if your good at your job and you know it, thats all that matters. as for you trying to compare a recruit learning how to do drills with a wpn to him asking a question, hmm well i guess they all have a close simularity. ok not realy. thats why people go to basic training is to learn how to put up with the BS, the yelling and the stress. if we all came in able to deal with it, then their would be no use in having to train everyone. if you have anything further to discuss please email me through the system here. and then we can talk some more. everyone else i am sorry if i have gone on, i am tired of know it all troops trying to degrade and belittle everyone else around them. everyone have a good day

CTD sounds legit to me, quite a bit of experence too.

I‘ve found the best instructors I‘ve had never raised their voice. Their bearing and professionalisim yelled for them.

My basic course have one reg force instructor and 7 reserves. The reg force corporal never made any of the stupid army comments that you always hear, never quoted full metal jacket and i can‘t remember him a time he lost his cool and flipepd out. That being said he was the most feared and respected of our instructors because he looked like a soldier, spoke like a soldier and acted like one.

We feared losing his respect 100 times more then we feared doing push ups, extra drill, red chits or punishment from the other mcpls and sgt‘s.

I will vouch for CTD because we have served together in WATC Firing Troop last year. I'll even forgive him for going Air Force.

If the bullshit I hear on here is indicative of the 48 Highlanders, there‘s a Regt you might want to avoid. You are arrogant without the experience. (This does not apply to all, but there are quite a few just in this topic). You sound like a lot of you are in need of running with the handspike to clear the mush from your brains. And I defy you to challenge me, as I do not put my rank or TI down either.

All the kid asked for was what he was expected to issued. All that was required was a link to an appropriate thread or a shorten version such as webbing, combats, rucksack etc. Not a tirade from the peanut gallery. It was a simple question that deserved a simple answer.

For a MCpl to say he has no respect for a recruit is one of the most asinine things I have heard in a long time. One of your primary functions to instruct. If you think recruits are no better then whaleshit that is how you treat them. You will earn no respect and in the long run you will turn out poor candidates. Your job is to pass your wisdom and knowledge to them, not boost your ego by scaring the **** out of them because you have the â Å“powerâ ? (sounds like an inferiority complex to me). There is a time and place to raise your voice, and guaranteed it is always planned, otherwise you come across as a screaming banshee who has lost control. I always found a whispered word into the ear from behind usually did the trick.

For other 48 Highlanders out there, get a grip, these few here are giving you a bad name.

Certainly this is a private site, and quite frankly it is probably none of my business.

However at times it pains me to observe some of the attitude and embarassing rhetoric displayed by some participants who claim to be members of the CF. By claiming to be soldiers, they become the public face of the CF. At times it is quite the ugly face here.

There likely is no solution.

However in appealing to professionalism, perhaps those who purport to be CF members may wish to consider the maturity of their post, and how that post will be viewed in a public forum before they hit "add reply".

That public maturity may be the best means of identifying who is a real soldier and who is a "poser".

I just stumbled across this little flame firefight, and frankly I‘m embarassed.

Newbies have a right to ask questions, and should not be chastised for their curiousity. If necessary, there are ingenious ways of curbing their enthusiasm if it starts to run amok (e.g. telling them to see the QM for a bucket of tartan paint ...) but hurling insults is not the way.

We‘ll try to watch this more carefully to avoid further repetitions of such pedantic behaviour.

The question was reasonable. As a Mod, I‘d like to apologize for not noticing this train-wreck sooner.

Ditto what the others said about hollering.

Regarding chevrons, you learn rank structure on Basic Training/BMQ whatever they call it these days. If you haven‘t had the course yet, how would one ever know what the rank of Private looked like? Not knowing, I would start with the first one....a single chevron....duh

To all of the yappy ones, you have just drawn the attention of nearly every Mod on the Board. Posers only annoy, but they are dealt with quickly. You guys, though, have embarrassed us - tread lightly.

I‘d like to apologise if I‘ve offended anyone with my replies to Munner, or if I‘ve been a negative influence in these forums. That was not my intention. I thought my reply was reasonable, and there seem to be other NCM‘s on here who agree with that.

However, since the moderators find this type of conduct unacceptable, I am willing to admit that I may be in the wrong. Certainly, I could have ignored the post instead of replying to it as I did. The tone of my post was mainly due to frustration resulting from having to deal with the same pointless questioning from recruits on courses. I understand that these forums are supposed to be a more relaxed atmosphere, and that because of that my response may seem overly harsh, and unproductive. I‘d like to assure the moderators that you will not see a reply like this from me in the future.

As to all of those who thought that saying that I do not have respect for recruits was "unprofesional", I think you‘re right out to lunch. Respect is something that‘s earned, not something you automatically get for answering roll-call. If my troops demonstrate that they have a positive attitudes, are ready to learn, and are able to meet the standard I expect of them, then they will have earned my respect. Otherwise they‘ll have to work their asses off to get it. That applies to members of ANY rank, but especially so to brand new recruits.

48Highlander,

I have refrained from posting in this thread until now, but I feel it is necessary to correct you on one point.

Yes, respect must be earned, but you are forgetting that at the same time that you expect them (of ANY rank) to earn YOUR repect, YOU must also earn THEIRS. When you are demonstrating that you do not yet respect someone, how do you expect them to gain any amount of respect for you?

In other words, I should respect someone who has in no way earned that respect, just so that they will respect me back?

I don‘t know sounds a little backwards to me :)

I‘m not saying I‘m automatically not going to respect a recruit just because he‘s a recruit. A good number of recruits arrive on course fully prepared, and earn my respect within minutes. Some do not manage to earn it at all. And the vast majority manage it over the next couple weeks. Yes, respect is a two way street. However, as a new recruit I respected my instructors even when I knew for sure that I had lost their respect. It just made me work harder to try and get it back. If I respected every recruit simply because I wanted their respect, I wouldn‘t be a very effective instructor.

You don‘t have to respect him immediately, but you do have to demonstrate that you are worthy of his respect. The professional approach is to prove from the first impression that your respect is worth earning.

Well thanks for the advice. I‘m not sure what your opinion of me is based on what you‘ve seen so far, but I‘ve never treated my soldiers poorly if they did not deserve it. Our platoon adm cpl last summer asked the troops who their favourite instructor was, and according to him the majority picked me. I‘m not sure how proffesional it is to be asking questions like that in the first place, and it‘s certainly not my job to try and win a popularity contest, but at least it goes to show that I don‘t have a problem earning their respect. I‘m just sorry that I seem to have done the opposite in these forums.

respect is a two way steet. in order to have respect you have to gain respect. i personnaly respect eveyone and everything i know or do. this is untill something happens for me to lose this respect. many times i have been let down by my superiors and lost respect for them one by one. whats more important is the i have lost respect for some of my soldiers for how they treat others around them. if we are a team in the military then we need to work towards that goal if that means i have to go help soldier out at the wee hours of the night on my own time well i guess thats what i am going to do. if we have no respect for the people we train or work with, we cannot effectivly do our jobs as soldiers. when i was over seas i went on a patrol with a officer from another unit one evening, he looked down at some locals and yelled at them "your all a bunch of f*&^%%g savages. i looked over at his sgt and said what was that for, we have spent3 months trying to get these people calmed down and he goes and says this. that day i lost all respect for that individual. but not for his corps." this is an example of a person who had no respect for these people. some of them were battle hardened soldiers. some of them were civilians. he showed no respect for these people. as bad as it is, i found out later he had little respect for his troops that worked for him. this is why we need to have respect for everyone unless they lose your respect for a just cause. you dont know who you are dealing with. cheers guys maybe we should start a post on what being a soldier means.

Well, this thread certainly has turned interesting and with lots of good points, some bad, whatever.

CTD, it would really help if you separate your points. Everything clumped together is kinda hard to read. :)

"As to all of those who thought that saying that I do not have respect for recruits was "unprofesional", I think you‘re right out to lunch. Respect is something that‘s earned, not something you automatically get for answering roll-call."

I think you should respect everyone, period. Recruits, civilians, retired members and enemy soldiers. Respecting someone as a good soldier or good leader IS earned and something different then respecting people on a whole. I think it‘s important to make this distinction.

I think if the soldiers in iraq involved with the prisoner abuse investigation had respected the prisoners (enemy soldiers/suspects) they wouldnt have touched off an intertational incident and embarassed their country. A little respect goes a log way.

Back