• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserves on Reg Force courses.

Blunt Object

Inactive
Reaction score
I know they use reservists to add to the numbers for Basic courses like BMQ-BIQ but is it possible for a reservist to get on a reg force course such as a LAV driver, Gunner ect... I ask because training is slow at the unit and I was talking to the OPs staff and they said its possible but unlikely. If anyone has any experience with this situation or knows how the system works and is willing to share their knowledge with me the help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Blunto

Yes, reservists can get on courses. Your unit Ops WO will have to look into it through CFTPO.

It's based on availability and openings....also whether or not your unit wants to send you.

Regards

I dunno... granted it was in the 80s and 90s, but people from my Unit went on Regular Courses all the time. I can't say what happens these days however.

I have to agree with Muskrat..

Much more prevelant in the 90's and maybe the 80's, not sure... But since 01 I can say that I've seen 1 reg force course for a reservist. (Comms)  It just doesn't happen like it used to, why, I'm not sure. In the 90's I can tell you that I've seen several JLC/JNCO crses.

My 2 cents, not that its worth anything!

kc

To clarify, I personally attended a Det 2 I/C course which "converted" to a 6A (at that time) qualification in the Reserves. That course included M109s of which we had none, at my Regiment. I also took a MILIPAC course with the Regs. A couple of guys in my Unit had several other courses, including Advanced Arty Tech.

These days, all leadership courses are 100% interchangeable... Elementary, Intermediate and Advanced....
As to technical, in your trade training, it will depend on the trade you belong to.  CME did some changes last year and Reg & Res have the identical trade course - one is split over two summers, the other one isn't.  The cost of training the saper has been set as the same.
If the other trades aren't there yet - they will be soon enough.

geo said:
These days, all leadership courses are 100% interchangeable... Elementary, Intermediate and Advanced....
As to technical, in your trade training, it will depend on the trade you belong to.  CME did some changes last year and Reg & Res have the identical trade course - one is split over two summers, the other one isn't.  The cost of training the saper has been set as the same.
If the other trades aren't there yet - they will be soon enough.

Geo have they decided with the new Reserve Courses where a Pte(B) would change to Pte(T) [i.e. be called Sapper]? would it be after blocks 1-3 or 4-6?

NS... not in the loop for that info.
Will have to wait till I drop in for my next visit.....
Puzzle palace prevents me from getting all pertinent data

Reservists were loaded on the Turret Operator / Crew Commander Course in 1 VP this Fall - are now teaching on the same courses, and will deploy on 1-08.  These days (ie the Army is at war) many things are possible.

geo said:
NS... not in the loop for that info.
Will have to wait till I drop in for my next visit.....
Puzzle palace prevents me from getting all pertinent data

No worries, just would like to give my troops a heads up on when they can be called sappers ;)

PPCLI Guy,

Your news is very welcome and it's about time that this sort of thing started to happen.  My examples are from the 1999-2004 timeframe.  Glad to see that things are turning around and we aren't letting process get in the way of results for this sort of training.

Like PPLCI Guy was saying it is more common. For TF 1-08 a PCF cycle began in the Fall-New yearish time frame. There are guys from my unit on LAV drvr, gnr, crew commander courses as we speak, as well as guys teaching the same course. Additionally we have one troop on his recce course. These courses are directly tied to deploying with the task force but there have been other courses in the past where reservists from my unit have attended reg force courses. i.e. 2003/2004 time frame Advanced Winter Warfare, 2005 time frame CQCI, jump courses, AMO courses, some recce courses around 2001.

I think there may be a difference between eastern and western units in terms of their acceptance of res. guys on reg courses. In my limited experience it is directly attributable to the relationship between the RSS WO's in the units, the reg force units running the courses, and brigade G3's.

Phil...
some of it will depend on how tight the Bde staff controlls the individual's purse strings.  At present, units will pay for the training their personnel undergo.  If your course uses up tons of expensive ammo, the bill can be quite high....

Command-Sense-Act 105 said:
PPCLI Guy,
Glad to see that things are turning around and we aren't letting process get in the way of results for this sort of training.

Like I said, being at war tends to change things

CFSEME occasionally loads reservists on QL3 weapons and vehicle tech serials if there's room.  They complete the parts they require (ex. wpns reservists do small arms but don't continue on to armament) and they are considered equivalently trained to their reg force counterparts on the PO's they've completed.

I think the only true method for a Res today to land the coveted Driving/Quals would be land a position (EN force?) at one of the schools of excellence or the Canadian Maneuver Training Centre (CMTC).  It may be the long way round but rather than wait for a "hell freeze" time frame you get the course and be more acceptable for augmentation to a TF.

Phil B,
I agree with your thought over the expansive differences between Area commands.  Having the opportunity to compare notes with western units (KCOR,BCDs)  they have/had much more opportunity for Augmented training.  In my slice of the world, LFCA doesn't seem to be as accepting of this new concept.  Maybe it's a wait and see approach they are using or it's a closely guarded secret?  But Armour Res here is no closer to being a viable addition to Reg Units until we are cross trained on their platforms and the funding formulas are changed so Home res units are not left paying the bill for that training. (Now this may have been addressed with recent conferences but I never heard of any results or agreement on how to tackle this.)

Maybe it was an artillery thing in the 80's and 90's, for both attending an instructing.  I took the Reg Force FOO Technicians course (then I spent 5 years and 3 ranks in the BC's party), and in turn assisted on the Reg Force Arty Technicians Course for the Milipac, as I was already on the base, and we had the beast early for trials.  We tended to have 1 or 2 guys a year on the Reg Force courses, especially if they overlapped the University schedules (May starts were great...).  I guess things change.

Ubique

Regan

Years ago my Leadership course was almost 50/50 reg/res. One guy got disciplined for using a GPS on his patrol. The course officer came into the class room and started going off about how "You reservists lack a sense of professionalism" when a guy at the back yelled out "You know he is a *********(no names no pack drill Reg force Battalion), right?" the officer turned bright red and stormed out of the room. He sure must have been mad when they gave top candidate to a reservist. 

Pert much all leadership courses are now common.  Some special "reserve" courses are offered in blocks - to provide oportunities for the working person who can't take 12 weeks off his civ job to qualify for advancement.

WRT gunner's comment on the course officer.... you see that less & less.

During a staff visit to the LFQA TC last year, I spoke to the school CWO & course WO about Res candidates;
1.  Average physical fitness condition was lower.
2.  Lacked some experience / competence in basic fieldcraft
3.  Had more experience than expected in FIBUA / MOAT whatever you want to call it.

Reservists were as hard working as their reg counterparts and were very motivated.  Reg candidates worked well with and worked hard to bring the Res up to an equivalent standard...

Back