• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reservist switching to Regular force

jackamela

Reaction score
Apologies if this has already been asked & answered. (I can't find it if it has).

How common/difficult is it for a Reservist to switch to Regular force? Officer or NCM, I guess - but mainly interested in it from the Officer side.

Is it a thing that happens, is encouraged/discouraged, and is it a long and difficult process?

It happens all the time. In my 14 years in the reserves I saw many do it, some in the same trade, some transferring to others. The PRes is often a farm team for the regs. It can take a while but it’s a well exercised practice that every unit should be familiar with. You have to be competitive for the trade you’re going for still and ref force trades have different quotas for ‘off the street’ versus ‘component transfer’ (or CT- PRes and Reg’s are each ‘components’ of CAF).

Yes it happens; some Res units support and others do not; and the process timeline is variable, lots of nuances depending on what, precisely, you wish to do.

IMO any reserve unit that doesn’t actively support a good soldier’s CT request needs a quick leadership change.
Agreed. There needs to be an acceptance that that is part of the life cycle of any reserve unit.

It happens all the time. In my 14 years in the reserves I saw many do it, some in the same trade, some transferring to others. The PRes is often a farm team for the regs. It can take a while but it’s a well exercised practice that every unit should be familiar with. You have to be competitive for the trade you’re going for still and ref force trades have different quotas for ‘off the street’ versus ‘component transfer’ (or CT- PRes and Reg’s are each ‘components’ of CAF).
Brilliant, thank you for the information.

I ask because I'm applying for Res right now, with regular job and a better half that is all I can commit to at this stage - though I may seriously consider a switch to Regular further down the road.

As I say, still in application process at this point but trying to map out potential long term.

Brilliant, thank you for the information.

I ask because I'm applying for Res right now, with regular job and a better half that is all I can commit to at this stage - though I may seriously consider a switch to Regular further down the road.

As I say, still in application process at this point but trying to map out potential long term.

Just be aware that, even as a reservist, you'll be away from home for big chunks of time during your basic training - usually in the summer.

During the training year (Sep-May) you'll be away at least one weekend per month, and maybe longer for concentrations like Gun Camp/ Brigade Ex which might take 10 days over Easter Break etc.

Just be aware that, even as a reservist, you'll be away from home for big chunks of time during your basic training - usually in the summer.

During the training year (Sep-May) you'll be away at least one weekend per month, and maybe longer for concentrations like Gun Camp/ Brigade Ex which might take 10 days over Easter Break etc.
Yep, and thank you for the fair warning. It does seem to be a significant time commitment. I am lucky in that my partner and my regular employer are both supportive as I very much want to serve.

For now, Reserves is what works so hopefully the stars align and I can join.

A year or two down the line I may want to go full time Regular so it is great to know that that might be a possibility - if there are positions available and if I manage to join and then subsequently demonstrate that I'm worth someone's time and effort to put through the paperwork.

Hearing that it can and does happen feeds the motivation, so thanks all.

The role(s) I'm applying for in Res would be neighbourhood of Intelligence Officer, Armour Officer or thereabouts.

Last edited:
Back