• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Rick Mercer Fights Back!

Thanks for the clarification Librarian.  I find myself feeling a bit defensive on this subject and let it show in my post.  No disrespect intended Danjanou.

The Librarian said:
Simysmom,

I think that was the Padre's way of making a sarcastic remark about the article originator.

I think he's wanting to employ that K.I.S.S. rule for her because she just doesn't get it.  ;D

Edited to clarify: By employing the KISS rule, I mean no offense to anyone who posts on this site, or Rick Mercer's site either!!  ;)

Thanks that's exactly what I was meaning....it wasn't a judgement on the posters comments...I was trying to say that Ms Golfman is out to lunch.

IN HOC SIGNO said:
Thanks that's exactly what I was meaning....it wasn't a judgement on the posters comments...I was trying to say that Ms Golfman is out to lunch.

I figured I'd help you out Padre because I know you guys don't get to often express such sentiments!!  ;)

I'm sorry Padre, no disrespect to you either  ;D
My my, the brain is going on overload.

QUOTE,
I expect I’ll get some ugly stuff, too. It is a trite irony that you are chastised for daring to question the purpose of the military mission when that very mission is allegedly about restoring democracy and freedom of speech

That, for me, is the most telling line in her vile pathetic little diatribe.   "The nerve of those I chastise with my freedom of speech to use their freedom of speech to chastise me".
Yup, some "trite irony" there somewhere.............

Has anyone invited Ms. Golfman to log on here, and perhaps engage in an intelligent debate (NOT argument?)

If not, perhaps I will - although I am not a MUN Alumni, and my invitation may not carry as much weight as such a one (looking at YOU Danjanou!!!)

Just a thought.

Roy Harding said:
Has anyone invited Ms. Golfman to log on here, and perhaps engage in an intelligent debate (NOT argument?)

If not, perhaps I will - although I am not a MUN Alumni, and my invitation may not carry as much weight as such a one (looking at YOU Danjanou!!!)

Just a thought.

Define intelligent.....define argument....  ;)

Baden  Guy said:
Define intelligent.....define argument....  ;)

Argument = dogpile
Intelligent = no dogpile

Unfortunately, I think Ex-Dragoon is probably correct - such an invitation would most likely end badly.

Roy Harding said:
Argument = dogpile
Intelligent = no dogpile

Unfortunately, I think Ex-Dragoon is probably correct - such an invitation would most likely end badly.

"This evenings entertainment was brought to you by_____________________________."

I plan on responding to her via email.

I should mention that in her prior email:

"Please find attached a copy of my article. I offer it to you in the
hopes you will have an open mind when reading it.  I also hope you might
realize that despite how offended Mr Mercer was by an unfortunate phrase
I used to describe the coverage of the troops (a phrase I would take
back if I had the opportunity to) the tone of his letter was very
injurious to me personally; it is essentially an angry and patronizing
personal assault which has disturbed me and people close to me a great
deal. My whole point was not to disrespect the troops but to point out
that the media has an important responsibility to show all sides of what
is indeed a very complex issue, one that Canadians feel quite ambivalent
about. Mr Mercer did not really speak to that main theme. If this
exchange leads to a more open conversation about this very serious
matter then perhaps some good, and nor merely sheer spite, will come out
of it."

Danjanou said:
Yup, pulled an old term paper I wrote for one of her classes with her comments on it, looks about right ::)

Hey Danjanou - maybe we're missing a good thing here.

You know all those "some people" that are being perenially quoted anonymously - As in "Today the Conservative Environment Minister confirmed the Earth is round.  However, (insert any news organisation here) has reliably learned that "some people" say this is a lie.

Perhaps she is one of those.  I figure that one non-article gave the recipient enough non-thought quotes to be able to refute a multitude of articles.  Do you get paid if you get quoted as "some people"?  Or should I just change my name?

Roy I’ve got no pull. I’m betting there were times Memorial regretted accepting me as a "mature" student.  8)

William you seem to have developed a rapport with the good professor, perhaps you could be so kind as to send her an invite here to defend/discuss her position.  

While I personally am disgusted by her sanctimonious pontification, I will out of respect for the site and what we have here strictly adhere to the  guidelines re adult discourse should she accept and as a Mod ensure all others do too.

simysmom99 said:
I'm sorry Padre, no disrespect to you either  ;D
My my, the brain is going on overload.

It's all good...Librarian is such a sharp cookie....it's scary when women start to understand us men he he....my wife can read me like a book too....must learn to be more inscrutable.  ;)

The Golfperson (a "public intellectual"?) now heads an organization that receives a considerable part of its funds from the federal purse:

"Poor sod"
http://www.damianpenny.com/archived/008774.html

Mark
Ottawa

I managed to get my e-mail out to Noreen, and she has replied.  I would like to share her reply, but what about privacy?  Advice on this one would be greatly appreciated.

simysmom99 said:
I managed to get my e-mail out to Noreen, and she has replied.  I would like to share her reply, but what about privacy?  Advice on this one would be greatly appreciated.

Ask her permission prior to doing it.

Absolutely.  Regardless of the tone or content of the message, or the legality of reproducing or paraphrasing it, it's only civil to ask the originator's permission.  She tells you to pound salt, you have to respect her wishes.

Fatal flaw of standing up for someone else's rights... soldiers have to respect 'em even if they won't respect ours.

William Webb Ellis said:
I plan on responding to her via email.

I should mention that in her prior email:

"Please find attached a copy of my article. I offer it to you in the
hopes you will have an open mind when reading it.  I also hope you might
realize that despite how offended Mr Mercer was by an unfortunate phrase
I used to describe the coverage of the troops (a phrase I would take
back if I had the opportunity to) the tone of his letter was very
injurious to me personally; it is essentially an angry and patronizing
personal assault which has disturbed me and people close to me a great
deal. My whole point was not to disrespect the troops but to point out
that the media has an important responsibility to show all sides of what
is indeed a very complex issue, one that Canadians feel quite ambivalent
about.
Mr Mercer did not really speak to that main theme. If this
exchange leads to a more open conversation about this very serious
matter then perhaps some good, and nor merely sheer spite, will come out
of it."

Ummm....does she mean ambivalent Canadians reposing, eating fruitcake and having blissful stretches of catch-up sleep? (per her own article)  ::)  

Nice!

Thankfully, the majority of Canadian's look beyond the foibles of the mainstream media and appreciate the significant contributions, no matter the mode of reporting, that Canadian servicewomen and servicemen are making on a daily basis.

G2G

Infantry_wannabe said:
I'm a man but if it was possible to give birth to Rick Mercer's children, I would do it.

Well, unless he goes the surrogate route, he's unlikely to have children of his own.  If you talk him into donating to the sperm bank however, you could ensure that the following generation will have a number of Ricks ;)

Wow this thread is growing fast.

Back