• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ROTP 2009 (Summer)

benny88 said:
So what do you think? Would you rather have had the 2 week indoc?

No, it would have been useless.  There would have been no need for it and would have been both a waste of my and CF time.

Everything I learnt was in IAP and I did not need to know anything before that. 

I did have a half day thing at my ASU where they explained to me what forms I needed to fill out and they gave me an example of how to do that.  But that is all that was needed.

I am from London and got accepted into ROTP CIV U, I did not get into RMC but meh its OK with me as long as i got into ROTP I'm happy still. I had a very quick acceptance into ROTP i handed in my application last minute but got in during the first selection commitie. I have been told by the CFRC here in London that July 18th I will be sworn in and that a week or two weeks later i should get ready to head out for this "mini basic".  I am actually looking forward to this, i know it will not give us an accurate representation of what to expect in the next couple of years but i think it will give us a little taste of the military life maybe lol and thats something i cant wait for...
I got accepted into ROTP in February for Int officer just for anyones curiosity.

Chops said:
I am from London and got accepted into ROTP CIV U, I did not get into RMC but meh its OK with me as long as i got into ROTP I'm happy still. I had a very quick acceptance into ROTP i handed in my application last minute but got in during the first selection commitie. I have been told by the CFRC here in London that July 18th I will be sworn in and that a week or two weeks later i should get ready to head out for this "mini basic".  I am actually looking forward to this, i know it will not give us an accurate representation of what to expect in the next couple of years but i think it will give us a little taste of the military life maybe lol and thats something i cant wait for...
I got accepted into ROTP in February for Int officer just for anyones curiosity.

Looks like we're going to be sworn in together. I applied in Ottawa, but I live in Chatham (going back for the summer), so I'm getting my file transfered to London.

I was told by Ottawa that I wasn't doing anything this summer... perhaps this might change?

Chops said:

303.gif

109.gif

Right out of Profs say students lack maturity, feel entitled

303.gif

I'll be seeing you guys in London as well. Nice to hear someone had the 'mini-basic' confirmed.

Heff18 said:
On a side note, how is the CAM program treating you, benny88? I got my application in last Friday (there are reasons for the late app.) and the MOS people are being extremely helpful in pushing it through. I'll know either way by the end of the month.

Liking it a lot. There's been a snafu with the flight school ownership, but I've tried to steer clear of the politics. Unfortunately, even though I'm 2nd or 3rd in flight hours in my year I STILL am going to have to stay part of the summer to finish up my PPL due to administrative delays caused by the switch.
    All in all, the program keeps you busy with the ground school/PGI and flight hours on top of the course load, but it's a good group of people and you won't hear me whining considering I'm getting flying time. PM or post in the CAM thread for more info.

I have been accepted to ROTP Civi-U and I have to report to St Jean Aug 2, 2009 for the IAP. My enrollment date it July 17th. I am still trying to figure out exactly what the IAP course entails.

Hope this helps.

I have done 2 years of Civilian University and am now going on BMOQ this summer, so I didn't do the mini orientation. I will give you my feelings about it. Civi U is not military college, and so I think it's a waste of gas money to fly kids from all over Canada to do a 2 week course and send them home again. I think it makes more sense just to have them do BMOQ to get their intro to the military.

On the flip side it might help candidates feel more like a part of the military family, which I also think is important. I spent a long time feeling like the only thing connecting me to the military was my paycheque. Anyways, that's what I think. It would be more cost effective to run a few regional 2 week courses though.

Intelligent Design said:
Civi U is not military college, and so I think it's a waste of gas money to fly kids from all over Canada to do a 2 week course and send them home again.

Good point. I'm from Ontario so I just would have driven, so I didn't really think of that, but now I realize how ridiculous it is to fly people from the Coasts in just so they can learn how to fill out forms and other brickabrack.

benny88 said:
    Good point. I'm from Ontario so I just would have driven, so I didn't really think of that, but now I realize how ridiculous it is to fly people from the Coasts in just so they can learn how to fill out forms and other brickabrack.
Noting is ridiculous when it comes to forms  :p

ScottS said:
I started ROTP this year, and I think this is a great idea.  I think the introduction to how the CF operates is extremely important for those who have no experience, especially the basics such as dealing with claims etc.  I have some experience and at times I found it difficult to adjust. I don't really know what is covered in two weeks, but some exposure to drill, PT etc. would probably be helpful to give people a taste of what the military is like before they have a year of subsidized education under their belt.

Still often takes longer for people to figure it out. RMC has a long-standing practice that a cadet can leave any time during first year without penalty if he or she decides military life is not for them, but if you show up for the first day of second year, you have to repay the costs of your education if you choose to leave after that.

Back