• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ROTP at Civilian University 2004 - 2018 [Merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
MC said:
I think I actually get some compensation for my rent. Something like 160 bucks a month. It varies depending on where you live, I forget what they refer to it as.

That has zero to do with the subject at hand.......

CDN Aviator said:
That has zero to do with the subject at hand.......

Actually, it does. If I still stayed with my parents or was at RMC and stayed on campus, I wouldn't get it.  Therefore, you could consider that ROTP does cover part of my rent. Didn't think I'd have to spell it all out.

MC said:
Actually, it does. If I still stayed with my parents or was at RMC and stayed on campus, I wouldn't get it.  Therefore, you could consider that ROTP does cover part of my rent. Didn't think I'd have to spell it all out.

In a round-about way, sure...

PLD is not there to compensate you for your rent.  It is there to compensate you for the difference in cost of living in your area.

As for the last part of your comment, kepp it coming .....see how long that lasts

CDN Aviator said:
In a round-about way, sure...

PLD is not there to compensate you for your rent.  It is there to compensate you for the difference in cost of living in your area.

As for the last part of your comment, kepp it coming .....see how long that lasts

Threats now? Bottom line, ROTP does help you out with living expenses, like rent, so thanks for the intervention, relevance police, but I think everything is under control here.

MC, what you get is PLD.  It's not only for ROTP, it's for everyone.  It's been explained earlier.  You get your 1400$ a month + PLD.

Max

SupersonicMax said:
MC, what you get is PLD.  It's not only for ROTP, it's for everyone.  It's been explained earlier.  You get your 1400$ a month + PLD.

Max

I didn't get it while I still lived at home with my parents. Just trying to help the original poster out.

You're supposed to get it if you live off the shacks.  It's your right to claim it.  It's not automatic.

Max

MC said:
Threats now? Bottom line, ROTP does help you out with living expenses, like rent, so thanks for the intervention, relevance police, but I think everything is under control here.

Moderator Warning

There were no threats there at all. Just friendly advice; I'd suggest that you take it.

He explained to you what PLD is for. And, he was correct. It's an allowance and benefit that is paid to certain members, depending upon their geographic location. There's already plenty of threads on this site discussing PLD, and its who, what, how, where and why regarding entitlements.

ArmyVern
Member of the Relevance Police
The Milnet.ca Staff

angrydevil ,
let me the be first to say welcome to the site. Since I see you are well versed with computers spend some time reading the new site members info. One of the things aside from the MSN/ short from is to remember to use spell check, the grammar police are even worse than the relevance police. ;)

Good Evening,

This is now my second year of university at a civilian university down here in Vancouver.  I am in the ROTP program and I have two questions.

My first one is that last year I have never needed to see a doctor while I was in university so that is why I do not know the answer to this.  My question is if I wanted to go see a doctor regarding some health issues how do I go abouts doing this?  Since there are no CFBs around here, I do not believe that there are any MIRs around here either.  Would I just go to a civilian doctor and give them my blue cross card?

My second question is I was wondering if it is possible or if other ROTP students have done an international exchange before while going through the program?  Because if it is not possible then I would like to know then I wont even bother asking my ULO or SEM how to go abouts doing it.  I know I am an officer and that is my job but I would like to do an exchange to another country for a semester for spring or fall and if it was not going to affect finishing my degree in four years and if I paid for it myself, would I be able to do an exchange?

Thanks.

ChaosTheory said:
My second question is I was wondering if it is possible or if other ROTP students have done an international exchange before while going through the program?  Because if it is not possible then I would like to know then I wont even bother asking my ULO or SEM how to go abouts doing it.  I know I am an officer and that is my job but I would like to do an exchange to another country for a semester for spring or fall and if it was not going to affect finishing my degree in four years and if I paid for it myself, would I be able to do an exchange?

None of your training can be done out of Canada.  This includes academic.  You should be provided all this information during your SEM briefs.

I should have probably mentioned that my support base, Area Support Unit Chilliwack does not have an MIR, and for the members there, they have to go to a local civilian clinc in town.  I believe the closest MIRs to Vancouver are at CFB Esquimalt or CFB Comox which are both on the island requiring a long distance to drive and a two hour ferry.

I am not sure if they changed the rules for ROTP (Civi U) since I finished in 1998.  But I did good chunks of my academic schooling on exchange in the USA  via an agreement with my home university and the blessing of the CF / ULO.  The USA is not as sexy as some international schooling, but hey, it was international nonetheless <smile>.  

Give it a try, the worst they will say is no.

With respect to a doctor, you should call the MIR at your support base (even if it is some distance away, they are still responsible for you) and ask them what to do / how billing is sorted out.  They might even have something sorted out with a family doctor in your area.  It is better to ask in advance, then find out you misused your Blue Cross card for a routine health concern, when another arrangement was in place.  

Cheers,

MC

Try the Vancouver MIR

VANCOUVER

CF H Svcs C (P) Det Vancouver
4050 4th Ave W
Vancouver B.C., V6R 1P6

Medical Reception
Telephone: (604) 225-2520 ext 2504

Dental Reception
Telephone: (250) 363-4149

http://www.forces.gc.ca/health/services/hig/engraph/base_addresses_e.asp

As well, you should have your Blue Cross Card, that you use instead of the provincial health card that your fellow students use when they need to go to the doctor.  The staff at the clinic in Jericho should be able to give some advice on who would be good to see, as there are a number of us in the same situation.  If you don't have a Blue Cross Card, call the ULO at ASU Chilliwack to get the info on how to get one for yourself.

I have my Blue Cross Card, I've had it for a while.  I don't even know where my provincial health care card is now so that is not a problem.  The Clerk at the ULO told me I can just go see my family doctor but I think it would be better if I just went to the MIR at Jericho.

Shamrock said:
None of your training can be done out of Canada.  This includes academic.  You should be provided all this information during your SEM briefs.

Are you sure about it as I'm not sure about civi U but I have heard of several opportunities at RMC with those on the ROTP to go on exchanges with other countries.

The US exchanges are done with the military academies in the states (army, navy, air force) and sponsored by the mil col.  I'd ask your ULO, since it has been done (I know a girl that did a full year at IIT in India).  As long as you can prove that you will be able to graduate on time and it won't cost anything extra for the military, you might be able to get the military to give you the thumbs up.  However, that is just another OCdt's opinion and I don't get paid much for it.

Cheers, and good luck

I did international schooling while at civi-U and it was well worth my time.  I am not sure about other professions, but in the health care field, if you want to learn about trauma - you go where the violence is.  If you want to learn about how to manage care for the socioeconomically depressed - you go where the poor are.  If you want to see infectious diseases - you go where people have infectious diseases.  All of these skills were enhanced for me by seeking schooling in areas where I could find an abundance of patients, diseases, and experts to learn from. 

Do you think these are valuable skills for someone who deploys overseas to have? You bet, and my skill set would not be strong if I did not seek out exchanges while in ROTP and PGTP outside of Canada. 

I suspect the same is true for people studying conflict, history, languages, and development engineering

It is worth the experience (and even additional personal and financial cost), if the experience is of value to the service - and my patients. 

MC

<edit: spelling>

As a serving member in the Canadian Forces Primary Reserves and a Commercially Licensed Helicopter Pilot with my degree underway through RMC Distance Study, I have applied for the Airforce under ROTP and am wondering what would be my best option:

1)RMC
2)University of Western Ontario
3)Simon Fraser University in BC where I live close to currently

I have 6 university credits already.

What would be the fastest and most beneficial?
Thanks for feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back