• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ROTP incorrect degree...

Fiera said:
Or is it acknowledgement of my error

Yes, it's your "acknowledgment". You should have just said "I was wrong". Instead you decided to say "I was wrong but.....blah blah blah".

You were wrong. That's it, that's all.

Okay, back on topic now.

Cheers,
The Staff.

Fiera said:
I can accept that I am mistaken. I have yet to come across a BA in Business while searching through degree programs. It could be as simple as its not something that was/is offered locally at the time I was looking. At the time of my post, I was only aware of an MBA as a Business degree with one university offering an Accounting degree with as sub focus in Management (while business related, I wouldn't and didn't consider this a Business Degree).

When you are looking at undergraduate calendars it is often referred to as a Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) or Bachelor of Commerce (BComm).

The BBA / BComm tends to cover a broad selection of business topics such as economics, mathematics, accounting, finance, marketing, management, management science, business strategy, and entrepreneurship.  Normally in 3rd and 4th years you have a chance to concentrate in one of these areas (less economics and math, which as separate degrees). 

Good luck

MC

Fiera said:
I have yet to come across a BA in Business while searching through degree programs.

As MedCorps suggested, the business programs are usually their own faculty (sometimes even with a fancy name "X School of Business") and not a part of the Arts.

For example, since you are in Vancouver, here is SFU's business program, at the Beedie School of Business
http://www.surrey.sfu.ca/business

I think I had a definitive answer before the degree argument started, and I thank you all!
and for the record CDN Aviator is awesome

Medcorps, Ballz, thank you both. The schools I have looked at on island didn't have anything of the like, just an MBA. I hadn't looked off island as most of the mainland schools are out of my price range to attend.

As for CDN Aviator: The explanation past acknowledging I was wrong wasn't directed at you, I was answering MCG's question and indirectly MJP.

Fiera said:
Medcorps, Ballz, thank you both. The schools I have looked at on island didn't have anything of the like, just an MBA. I hadn't looked off island as most of the mainland schools are out of my price range to attend.

http://www.uvic.ca/gustavson/undergraduate/index.php

http://www.viu.ca/business/bba.asp

edit - http://camosun.ca/learn/programs/bba/

And not to forget Royal Roads... http://business.school.royalroads.ca/

I would be surprised if there are any universities in Canada that do not have a undergrad business program and I would be shocked if there are ones that have a MBA that don't have an undergrad.

In my unaccredited opinion,

If there are is an x amount of Engineer Officer positions opened for DEO, I would fill up these available spots with those who have applied with an engineering degree. Of course, if x still hasn't been filled up, I would then consider everyone else. This seems like the most rational process, with very little subjectivity involved. In this model, I guess that it all comes down to what x actually is at the time of your application, and how many well qualified individuals with an engineering degree apply. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure that these variables cannot be quantified until the selection board actually meets. But... there is always hope!  :)

:2c:

matthew1786 said:
In my unaccredited opinion,

If there are is an x amount of Engineer Officer positions opened for DEO, I would fill up these available spots with those who have applied with an engineering degree. Of course, if x still hasn't been filled up, I would then consider everyone else. This seems like the most rational process, with very little subjectivity involved. In this model, I guess that it all comes down to what x actually is at the time of your application, and how many well qualified individuals with an engineering degree apply. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure that these variables cannot be quantified until the selection board actually meets. But... there is always hope!  :)

:2c:

In fact, these variables can be and are quantified long before the selection process begins.  Although some officer occupations will accept any degree (the sole criteria being a degree), many have required degrees.  Engineering (all types) is one such officer occupation.  Prospective engineers do not necessarily have to have an engineering degree, but the list of acceptable degrees outside of engineering is short and specific (physics and computer science are two of which I'm aware).  If there are not enough applicants with acceptable degrees, then the occupation goes short.  We don't open the floodgates to anyone who wants to try after that.  I may be going out on a limb here, but I'm betting that anyone with a business or history degree (and nothing else) will not be accepted into an engineering occupation under any circumstances (CFRs excepted).

Without quoting or asking anyone in specific, would experience in the construction industry help my chances?

Back