• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

running: treadmill or outside?

MG said:
and that is why it is better to run outside than on a treadmill.... ???

Back to the post, I agree with MikeL. Paracowboy's thread is an excellent resource!

BTW, Jaxson, is it still too hot for running? 

Seeing how its february and i started this post back in oh.. July? No i dont think its too hot, i actually like the winter better though to be truthfull, i can go outside in track pants and a t-shirt in the winter, its heat i have to get used to.

hehe.  >:D  I noticed the July date and couldn't help but throw that in.

I am the opposite; I didn't mind running in the heat last summer but I can't stand the cold!

I have a poster in my gym on a Treadmill workout. It says that your bones strengthen when you work out. Is it going to help with fractures such as Shin Splints? I tried so many methods of preventing them, but none helped. As I ran it was getting worse. One day everything was OK and i was so happy that i forgot about the problem. When i stopped the pain came so suddenly and was getting worse by a second. I even sat on a ground cause I wasn't being able to stand up. I sat there and people watched me and offered their help, because I probably looked as If i had a broken legs. I stayed there for about 30 minutes, got up and walked home limping. Then i stopped running and since then I was running on a treadmill and I have no problems at all. Does anyone had a similar situation? Is this kind of training will help me with these fractures?

Shin splint's have nothing to do with your bones fracturing or whatever...

Check out Paracowboy's PT threads,etc lots of info on injuries, shin splints an everything else.

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/33109.0.html

Unfortunately at my current posting I work 12 hour shifts alternating night and day. This combined with the fact that I have a two year old daughter at home, I can not go for an out door run without getting a sitter.

I am a huge fan of running outdoors versus treadmills but in order to stay in shape, you do what you have to.

Atleast when you run outside, the scenery changes, your cardio is worked out more and inevitably I will get off shift work and once again run in organized PT which is noticeably different from the treadmill scene.

In my experience, you should run outdoors as much as possible and leave treadmills for bad weather days.

mover1 said:
Join the Militia
Travel to exotic Lands
Meet interesting and exotic people
Then kill them...
But Only on weekends

That's pure jokes.

Will increasing the incline slightly still provide the same workout as running outside? 

Rubes said:
Will increasing the incline slightly still provide the same workout as running outside? 

Yes and no.  Yes you can increase the incline to between a 1-2% grade to "simulate" the wind resistance that occurs when running outside.  No it still does not provide the exact same workout as outside, because of other factors, such as the cushioned/shock absorbing running deck on a treadmill.  Your stride is not the same (people tend to have shorter strides on treadmills), because the ground is moving beneath you, instead of you moving over the ground.  Because of this your muscles/tendons/etc. have to work in a slighty unnatural manner. 

As I stated previously in the post, I used my treadmill quite often.  Now I only use it when running is integrated into a crossfit WOD, or I when I do intervals, the rest of the time I run outside.

I AM A YEAR-ROUND OUTSIDE RUNNER...I HAVE BEEN RUNNING SINCE 1983 AND LOGGING EACH RUN STATISTICS.

EVERY SAT AND SUN AT SUNRISE I RUN EITHER 5, 6.2 0R 8 MILES...ONE WEEKDAY EVENING I WILL TRY TO PR A 4 MILE RUN.

IT TAKES AN INVESTMENT IN YEAR-ROUND RUNNING GEAR AND TIME, BUT IT KEEPS ME 50 YEARS OLD WHEN I AM ALREADY 66.

I CAN STILL DO 1 MARATHON A YEAR AT UNDER 4 HOURS...I AM ADDICTED  ;D

I am a year-round moderator..have been for awhile now and Mike keeps statistics.

Stop using higher caste when you make posts as it is the equivalent of yelling.

I crap on many people every year for this as....I am anal. :-X

::)WOULD YOU ENTERTAIN A TRIAL PERIOD FOR A ADMIRER FROM THE SOUTH FOR A WEEK...JUST TO SEE IF I CAN CONVINCE YOU THAT A MAJORITY OF POSTERS WILL BECOME FAMILAR WITH AND FORGIVING OF MY STYLE.

YOU ARE ADMITTEDLY ANAL...I AM ADMITTEDLY STUBBORN...

...ABOUT HAVING MY LIFE CONTROLLED BY THE PC TYPES WHO DECIDE ALL THE LITTLE THINGS...THIS IS A LITTLE THING WITH ME THAT I AM STUBBORN ABOUT...CAN I THUMB MY NOSE AT THE PCERS HERE, OR NOT :)

IT ALSO SAVES WEAR AND TEAR ON MY OLD EYES AND MAKES PUNCTUATION ALMOST A NON-WORRY ITEM...

PEOPLE THAT SEE ME COMING WILL QUICKLY DECIDE TO IGNORE MY POSTS OR TO READ THEM AND DECIDE I AM NOT REALLY SHOUTING AFTER ALL...

WHATTA YA SAY ;)

RONCO said:
::)WOULD YOU ENTERTAIN A TRIAL PERIOD FOR A ADMIRER FROM THE SOUTH FOR A WEEK...JUST TO SEE IF I CAN CONVINCE YOU THAT A MAJORITY OF POSTERS WILL BECOME FAMILAR WITH AND FORGIVING OF MY STYLE.

...ABOUT HAVING MY LIFE CONTROLLED BY THE PC TYPES WHO DECIDE ALL THE LITTLE THINGS...THIS IS A LITTLE THING WITH ME THAT I AM STUBBORN ABOUT...CAN I THUMB MY NOSE AT THE PCERS HERE, OR NOT :)

IT ALSO SAVES WEAR AND TEAR ON MY OLD EYES AND MAKES PUNCTUATION ALMOST A NON-WORRY ITEM...

PEOPLE THAT SEE ME COMING WILL QUICKLY DECIDE TO IGNORE MY POSTS OR TO READ THEM AND DECIDE I AM NOT REALLY SHOUTING AFTER ALL...

WHATTA YA SAY ;)

RONCO stay in your lane, keep this up and you will be on the fast track to banned-ville. You do know that you can adjust the font setting within Internet Explorer by going to View -> Text Size -> then chose the size which suits you.

RONCO said:

WHATTA YA SAY ;)

I say what I said before...........nothing to do with PC, we just like to be as professional as the internet allows us to be.
You may now consider this an unofficial warning......

:eek:YOU'RE NOT ONE OF THOSE STEALTH MODS ARE YA ::)

IF A MOD RULES...I WILL REACT...

BTW, ARE YOU A RUNNER :blotto:

Welcome to the official warning.........at least make an attempt, please.

Guess they have acted. And wether or not I am a runner is irrelevant, but to answer your question no I am not a runner but I can hump around the woods all day.

Back