• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Samsquanch joins the army?

Samsquanch

Inactive
Reaction score
I've applied for the infantry reserves in British Columbia. I filled out the application then sat on it for a month. This was to make sure I still wanted to do it. My enthusiasm hadn't faded a single bit. I drove down to B coy in Aldergrove gave the recruiter my filled out paper work.
I had moved around much more than the boxes allowed for residence on the paperwork, so I was asked to put down all of the places. Then I was asked to get my optometrist to fill out a form. Brought that back a day or two later (50$). Application was then mailed away. I went on vacation for a few weeks, and when I got back there was a call on the machine for me to come down and write the CFAT. (Vancouver)
I came down CFRC approx. 6/5 weeks after having the application sent away for the aptitude test. While down there I was also asked to fill out the drug/alcohol question sheet. Alcohol was actually pretty hard to answer when it asked how many times. Take once a week for the last 6-7 years 52 times per year at least... oh yeah what about camping when I drink for a few days on end. Well lets just say it adds up. After all that and the CFAT we were sent to the waiting room, some people went this way with papers in hand some the other way without I don't know why? Doesn't matter.... I was asked to come back in for an interview /medical in two weeks. That's as far as I have gotten. Tomorrow I go in for the second part. I'll add more to my application story tomorrow.

Aww and here I was expecting a funny story about some huge hairy dude joining the army.  :'(

Good luck though

Interview was over very quick today about 20 mins. I don't know why I was worried. I was picturing a large room sort of dark with three very intimidating high rank officers grilling me about everything I've ever done. Not so at all. She was very nice and I felt at ease immediately in the small, well lit office. ;D I was asked a few questions 50% were yes or no. The on-line questionnaire helped a little I guess. I got recommended at the end.
Then it was medical time. I pissed in the cup.... that went well no overflow and the remainder hit the bowl no rim. I was then taken for a hearing test, vision test with and without glasses. I was v2 and that's good enough for infantry. I was worried about that one. Colorblindness test. Then more waiting for the next doc. he came and got me and went over my medical history. Made me do some some breathing, checked my flexability, reflexes, motorskills, asked me more quesions... He recommend me for immediate enrolment to my local unit. Now I guess I wait some more while the file is sent back to Ontario.
So far so good boys and girls... I'm not sure what happens next but I'll post it for anyone who cares.
Cheers
Squanch

Oh yeah they took a good hard look at all my tattoos. Even asked me why I got them.

Samsquanch said:
Oh yeah they took a good hard look at all my tattoos. Even asked me why I got them.

What kind of Tattoos do you have?

Last name down the forearm, half sleeve left upper arm with skulls and city scape, vines, number 13, Medusa, and calves with maple leaf.
They were just checking distinguishable marks scars for body ID and I guess for hate type tats as well, i.e Nazi stuff. Defiantly don't have any of those. When I told them my Dad did them they looked somewhat stunned. haha

I found a speech made to the U.S navy in 1997 by william J. Benette before deployment. I've modified it to fit one page for my fathers retirement from the police force next month (getting it framed). This is not the original speech I have edited it to be police specific. I though I'd post it because it also makes me realize why I feel the need to sign up.

Honor never grows old, and honor rejoices the heart of age. It does so because honor is, finally, about defending those noble and worthy things that deserve defending, even if it comes at a high cost. In our time, that may mean social disapproval, public scorn, hardship, persecution, or as always, even death itself. The question remains: What is worth defending? What is worth dying for? What is worth living for?

Most of the people in our society are sheep. They are kind, gentle, productive creatures who can only hurt one another by accident. I mean nothing negative by calling them sheep. It is like the pretty, blue robin's egg. Inside it is soft and gooey, someday it will grow into something wonderful. But the egg cannot survive without its hard blue shell. Police officers and other warriors are like that shell, and someday the civilization they protect will grow into something wonderful. For now, though, they need warriors to protect them from the predators.

Then there are the wolves, and the wolves feed on the sheep without mercy. There are evil men in this world and they are capable of evil deeds. The moment you forget that or pretend it is not so, you become a sheep. There is no safety in denial. Then there are sheepdogs, and you are a sheepdog. You live to protect the flock and confront the wolf.

If you have no capacity for violence then you are a healthy productive citizen, a sheep.

If you have a capacity for violence and no empathy for your fellow citizens, then you have defined an aggressive sociopath, a wolf.

But what if you have a capacity for violence, and a deep love for your fellow citizens? What do you have then? A sheepdog, a warrior, someone who is walking the hero's path. Someone who can walk into the heart of darkness, into the universal human phobia, and walk out unscathed.

The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Still, the sheepdog disturbs the sheep. He is a constant reminder that there are wolves in the land. They would prefer that he didn't tell them where to go, or give them traffic tickets. The sheep would much rather have the sheepdog cash in his fangs, spray paint himself white, and go, "Baa." Until the wolf shows up. Then the entire flock tries desperately to hide behind one lonely sheepdog. Understand that a sheepdog is a funny critter: He is always sniffing around out on the perimeter, checking the breeze, barking at things that go bump in the night, and yearning for a righteous battle. That is, the young sheepdogs yearn for a righteous battle. The old sheepdogs are a little older and wiser, but they move to the sound of the guns when needed, right along with the young ones.

I just got the call today I'm being sworn in on Thursday the 11th of Jan. I'm very excited and can't wait to start. Time to increase the length of my runs the 3km isn't going to cut it anymore I guess. Thanks to ARMY.CA I am armed with loads of knowledge and have made some contacts around my area. Thx ARMY.CA Samsquanch out. :salute:

If you can run 3Km at a single go, you are doing better than most individuals just getting in.  Don`t stop, keep training - we'll let you know when to stop :)

Welcome aboard!

Back