• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"Security on military bases to be reviewed by all-party Commons committee"

George Wallace said:
Now we have to rebuild the Front Gates on many of the Bases that demolished them and then go with the program that the Gate Guards had in Germany......Arm the Commissionaires.  >:D

Since Commissionaires may not necessarily be the spouses of serving members and thus less likely to socialize with each others' families there may be less chance of the final incident that was the tipping point for "disarming" the Gate Guards in CFE - two of the guards in the main gate shack at the airfield with pistols drawn after getting in an argument about one of them shagging the other's husband.

MilEME09 said:
I was simply using MPs since A) they are a law enforcement entity, and B) most MP shacks are at the base entrance any way

Spread your wings. Of the 7 bases I have been to over the past 6 years, only an average of 35% of the major entry points have MP shacks located nearby.

Whats the legal ramifications  when a commissionaire at a gate tries to tell a CF member they aren't allowed to go on base because there is a lock-down and the member says whatever and drives around him?

Takes us back to what should be stunningly obvious:

There is a cost attached to everything. The cost may not be purely monetary, but it's certainly still there.

MilEME09 said:
I was simply using MPs since A) they are a law enforcement entity, and B) most MP shacks are at the base entrance any way

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

PuckChaser said:
Been to Pet? Not anywhere close.

Same with Gagetown....mind you it's down the road and around the corner though...

NFLD Sapper said:
Same with Gagetown....mind you it's down the road and around the corner though...

Kingston's is within a rifle shot, but gate sentries were told armed support was over 10 minutes away. So much for armed support.

Security does need to be addressed in so many ways. After 9/11 and again after Oct 2014 there was a 100% gate ID check, but I noticed that there wasn't a list compiled of people coming in or a comparison of the list to who was going out again. The ID check was simply more to signal that something was being done rather than an actual security measure.

I'm afraid that the recommendations of this committee will probably end up being far more "show" than "go", much like the ID checks at the gate. Lots of time and resources expended for little return.

Were I work now we need a swipe card to enter parking lot (when it works), swipe to enter building, swipe to enter elevator banks, swipe to enter unit lines....but still have to show ID to commissionaires upon entering building...

Swipe card is fine but if your card is stolen, whoever has your card has access to where you are.  I think a visual ID at the gate(ID card scanned and picture that comes up checked against you), manned on a rotational basis by units on base, to get onto the base as well as swipe cards + access codes to buildings and secure areas of buildings, tailored to your need to access individual locations.  Obviously supplemented by each and every member reporting unusual activity.

With that, we could get rid of the restricted area gates.

But what about the public security zones guys!!!!!!

Blasphemy.

SupersonicMax said:
manned on a rotational basis by units on base...

Manned with what people? I don't have enough personnel to accomplish my mandate, let alone fill all the CFTPO's that come from Div. If you have extra soldiers, sailors, airmen (I don't care what colour the DEU) send them my way and I'll employ them.

The guys that do 2x2 hour blocks of PT a day can do it.

1984 said:
Manned with what people? I don't have enough personnel to accomplish my mandate, let alone fill all the CFTPO's that come from Div. If you have extra soldiers, sailors, airmen (I don't care what colour the DEU) send them my way and I'll employ them.

See what happens over time when units on Bde Bases slowly give up doing all their Duty Rosters.  Somehow they are all short pers.

Gone are the days where there was a Duty NCO/O in every wet Mess, a Duty NCO in every shack, Duty NCO in the Mess Hall, Duty staff in Regt'l Duty Center doing security checks throughout the night of unit Lines, and Duty at front Gate as well as Base Security Patrols. 

I visited Gagetown a couple of years ago as a retiree.  I was surprised the gated entry was gone, but thought it logical.  If someone wants to cause havoc on a military base they can go through the woods, dress in a uniform or go for too soft targets just outside.  What I did notice was cameras were everywhere.  Those--if monitored--can provide a basis for mobile patrols to intercept anyone suspicious anywhere, such as that old geezer bicycling around and looking in strange places.  If bases need more security, surveillance and a quick response will be more effective.  The gate check is cosmetic but not effective security.

sandyson said:
I visited Gagetown a couple of years ago as a retiree.  I was surprised the gated entry was gone, but thought it logical.  If someone wants to cause havoc on a military base they can go through the woods, dress in a uniform or go for too soft targets just outside.  What I did notice was cameras were everywhere.  Those--if monitored--can provide a basis for mobile patrols to intercept anyone suspicious anywhere, such as that old geezer bicycling around and looking in strange places.  If bases need more security, surveillance and a quick response will be more effective.  The gate check is cosmetic but not effective security.

AFAIK those cameras are for show only....

1984 said:
Manned with what people?

Tones of layed off high school drop outs from the oil field just kicking around in their parents basements. Cut off their IE and stick them on guard duty.

Oh sweet, disgruntled dudes that don't give a fuck. That's who we want at the gate.

Sheep Dog AT said:
Oh sweet, disgruntled dudes that don't give a frig. That's who we want at the gate.

There are lots of desperate people out there with the crappy economy. Finding suitable candidates shouldn't be an issue, finding money to take security seriously at our bases is the tough part

Back