• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sexual Assault & Sexual Misconduct in the CF

1429132707.jpg

The order is now in the media, with a reminder that we are advancing over ground that we fought once before.

Military bans crude jokes, racy photos in sexual misconduct crackdown
MURRAY BREWSTER, The Canadian Press
The Globe and Mail
17 Aug 2015

OTTAWA -  That everything old is new again may be the best way to describe the coming battle over sexual misconduct in the Canadian military.

The country’s defence chief has formally signed orders intended to stamp out impropriety and harassment, but to understand the kind of uphill struggle facing Gen. Jonathan Vance, just look back to 1999.

“To attract and retain this highly skilled pool of personnel, they must know that they will be treated fairly, and with dignity and respect throughout their careers,” wrote now-retired general Maurice Baril, who much like Vance today, was laying out his expectations for gender equality as women were introduced to combat jobs.

He said women had a right to a harassment-free workplace and fair and equitable employment practices.

Fifteen years ago, Baril asked soldiers to respect one another. Vance is now demanding it and threatening consequences.

Last spring, a blistering report by retired Supreme Court justice Marie Deschamps found sexual misconduct was “endemic” in the military, where leaders tolerated a pervasive macho culture and women were afraid to report harassment and even assaults.

Vance’s order not only prohibits obvious offences, but goes beyond to target behaviours that “perpetuate stereotypes and modes of thinking that devalue members on the basis of their sex, sexuality, or sexual orientation.”

Inappropriate jokes of a sexual nature, racy photos and unwelcome advances are among specifically prohibited acts.

During his swearing-in last month, the new defence chief made a point of saying that bullies are not welcome within the ranks and are often the least effective members in combat.

Yet, the attitudes that have sustained harassment are deeply entrenched and were identified a decade and half ago as major obstacles to the integration of women into combat posts.

“Women must cope simultaneously with symbols and behaviours which perpetuate and maintain male ideology while developing identities as women which satisfies the organizational culture,” said a Dec. 20, 1999 employment equity plan.

“The male identity of the organization is strongly evident through sexualized behaviours and norms, such as male attitudes of paternalism, sexist male talk, joking and innuendo and sexual harassment, in the day-to-day work environment.”

The new order by Vance tells commanding officers to act quickly when they hear of a complaint and warns that all leaders are accountable for failures that let the current culture continue.

The blunt instructions not only lay out expectations in terms of behaviour, but set timelines for action, including a rare meeting planned this week involving senior leadership from across the country where Vance is expected to lay down the law.

The onus will also be on members who believe they’ve been victimized to step forward, something that’s expected to lead to a surge in complaints and possibly military police investigations.

“Eliminating harmful and inappropriate sexual behaviour within the CAF depends on its members demonstrating the integrity to act in a manner that bears the closest scrutiny and the courage to overcome difficult challenges through determination and strength of character,” said the order. “There shall be no grace period for the application of our values and ethics. Proper conduct starts now.”

Yet, it is not the first time the military has been here.

In the late 1990s senior leadership struggled to understand why women, who had fought to become frontline soldiers, tank drivers, fighter pilots and submariners, were ditching their uniforms in unacceptably high numbers.

The report concluded that career management, social and family issues drove the departures, but the notion of a sexualized culture was never far from the surface.

“Although organizational policies and regulations are evolving in attempts to integrate women, the experience of women as ‘women within a male-dominated organization’ contributes significantly to the attrition of women from that environment,” said the employment equity review.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/military-bans-crude-jokes-racy-photos-in-sexual-misconduct-crackdown/article25990911/

Bumped with the latest - more charges (release also attached in case link doesn't work) ....
Today (11 Sept 2015), the Canadian Forces National Investigation Service (CFNIS) charged a former Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) medical technician for incidents alleged to have occurred while he performed medical exams at Canadian Forces recruiting centres in London and Thunder Bay, Ontario.

Petty Officer, 2nd class (PO 2) (Retired) James Wilks was charged with the following:
  • two counts of sexual assault, in accordance with section 130 of the National Defence Act, and pursuant to section 271 of the Criminal Code; and
  • ten counts of breach of trust by a public officer, in accordance with section 130 of the National Defence Act, and pursuant to section 122 of the Criminal Code.
It is alleged that between 2004 and 2009, the accused performed medical examinations on CAF recruits and serving members contrary to prescribed medical procedures.  In September 2010 and January 2012, the CFNIS laid a total of 23 charges against PO 2 Wilks (Retired) in relation to similar incidents.  In December 2012, the CFNIS laid 17 additional charges against the retired member.

As a result of the high visibility of the previous charges laid against Mr. Wilks regarding these incidents, eight additional victims came forward to file complaints ....

Damn.. more lickings for Mr. Wilks, good that more are coming forward.  I have had a couple medicals done by him back in my PRes days in Thunder Bay, he was an odd cat for sure.

/// I'll leave the Thunder Bay trashing for another post... I left it without looking back for many good reasons.

Next step:  "We are proud to announce that the Sexual Misconduct Response Centre (Interim) is now open ...." - also attached if link doesn't work.

This part jumped out at me:
.... If Canadian Armed Forces members have experienced or witnessed harmful and inappropriate sexual behaviour, the Centre is now available by phone at 1-844-750-1648 or by e-mail DND.SMRC-CIIS.MDN@forces.gc.ca A team of dedicated professionals is ready to provide support, information, and referrals between 7 a.m. and 5 p.m. EST, Monday to Friday. Should a call be received outside of regular hours of operations or on statutory holidays, members will be able to leave a message and at their request, one of the staff members will return their call within one business day ....
Any word out there if there's consideration to the hours of operation being eventually extended?  Then again, I'm guessing it might end up being assessed based on usage, but worst-case in me is picturing the victim of a late-night really bad incident having to leave a message?  Or is that why the CDS said to call 911 if all else fails:
.... In the interim, anyone needing immediate emergency assistance should call 911 ....

More on the Centre here.

We were briefed today that these are just the hours for the interim center.  Once the full centers are up and running (2017 or so apparently) the hours will be extended. I've got a number of other concerns with the set up as well but I'll comment on those once I get a few more questions answered by the people working to set this up.

Schindler's Lift said:
We were briefed today that these are just the hours for the interim center.  Once the full centers are up and running (2017 or so apparently) the hours will be extended. I've got a number of other concerns with the set up as well but I'll comment on those once I get a few more questions answered by the people working to set this up.

2017? It will take 2 years to get the 'full centres' up and running?

Wow. Just wow.  :facepalm:

Schindler's Lift said:
Once the full centers are up and running (2017 or so apparently) the hours will be extended.
Sounds like at least SOMEONE thought of it - thanks for sharing.
daftandbarmy said:

Wow. Just wow.  :facepalm:
Have to agree with this, though ....

Quote from: Schindler's Lift on Today at 14:29:00

daftandbarmy

Wow. Just wow. 

They have to get the Sexual Misconduct Response Centre (Interim) Main HQ and Regional HQ's up and running first. ;D

Budget
Coord with other agencies
Staff and training

I somehow think 2017 is an ambitious target.

The big issues I see are that they run the risk of injecting themselves into the policing process, whether it's civpol or MP.  They also duplicate much of the same services already available through provincial victim services programs. 

When it comes to the Centers...will they have call display in the event they need to reconnect or intervene with someone in crisis who hangs up?  How will that affect someone who wants to remain anonymous? 

Will their number be blocked?  The Centers I mean.  If someone in an abusive situation calls for assistance will the Centers number show up on the callers display so that their partner can see it later on and get upset? 

If someone wants to reach out to the Center but they don't want the police involved does that mean some administrative process would kick in and what are the rights of the accused to know their accuser or even defend themselves from the accusation against them?

Believe me, if the Centers are going to exist then I want them to work and be useful but I also want them to be fair and effective.  Time will tell.

Schindler's Lift said:
When it comes to the Centers...will they have call display in the event they need to reconnect or intervene with someone in crisis who hangs up?  How will that affect someone who wants to remain anonymous? 

Will their number be blocked?  The Centers I mean.  If someone in an abusive situation calls for assistance will the Centers number show up on the callers display so that their partner can see it later on and get upset? 

If someone wants to reach out to the Center but they don't want the police involved does that mean some administrative process would kick in and what are the rights of the accused to know their accuser or even defend themselves from the accusation against them?

Believe me, if the Centers are going to exist then I want them to work and be useful but I also want them to be fair and effective.  Time will tell.

My first thought is that we should emulate/replicate whatever civilian rape/suicide crisis centres currently use - certainly they must have a suitable system for us to use or build upon.  No need to re-invent the wheel, although we will likely do just that

I would suggest that this new centre will be much like Blue Cross and CFMAP, in which we have purchased capacity within an already existing system VAC/Blue Cross and CFMAP/Health Canada.

The set-up time required will depend on the extent of bilingual content of the standard response packages, follow-up/reporting mechanisms and the training of the phone operators.

Creating a separate system when excess capacity exists in other similar under-utilized programs is not fiscally responsible.  Similarly, I am puzzled why a centre is being set-up to handle just these calls when the entire CAF is being lectured and counselled on the no tolerance policies.  Shouldn't there be a single 'whistle-blower'-type call centre that handles all complaints of which the sex-related ones would be a sub-set, likewise for harassment, fraud, domestic/spousal abuse, suicide prevention, drugs/addictions. 

Because the former justice said to do it, and if we do anything other than exactly what she recommended, we'll be hammered in the media for turning a blind eye. It doesn't matter if it makes it easier/more efficient/more economical/provides better support.

PuckChaser said:
Because the former justice said to do it, and if we do anything other than exactly what she recommended, we'll be hammered in the media for turning a blind eye. It doesn't matter if it makes it easier/more efficient/more economical/provides better support.

Looking good is half the battle  :nod:

Simian Turner said:
I would suggest that this new centre will be much like Blue Cross and CFMAP, in which we have purchased capacity within an already existing system VAC/Blue Cross and CFMAP/Health Canada.

The set-up time required will depend on the extent of bilingual content of the standard response packages, follow-up/reporting mechanisms and the training of the phone operators.

Creating a separate system when excess capacity exists in other similar under-utilized programs is not fiscally responsible.  Similarly, I am puzzled why a centre is being set-up to handle just these calls when the entire CAF is being lectured and counselled on the no tolerance policies.  Shouldn't there be a single 'whistle-blower'-type call centre that handles all complaints of which the sex-related ones would be a sub-set, likewise for harassment, fraud, domestic/spousal abuse, suicide prevention, drugs/addictions.

Quite frankly I would have more faith in the Crime Stoppers system than anything the CF comes up with (in 2+ years at no doubt an extraordinary cost to the taxpayers)

http://www.bccrimestoppers.com/

MARS said:
My first thought is that we should emulate/replicate whatever civilian rape/suicide crisis centres currently use - certainly they must have a suitable system for us to use or build upon.  No need to re-invent the wheel, although we will likely do just that

Actually, for many years now our Victim Services personnel have been working hand in glove with these civilian sexual assault and victim services agencies.  I guess what already exists isn't good enough.  ::)

Simian Turner said:

Nope.  It's a whole new entity being essentially built from the ground up.  Sure they are looking at models used by the militaries of other nations but no, they are not buying into any other system.  I don't know why not though.  Each province has their own mandated and established victim services program that can be tapped into for free now. 

Back