• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Should everyone get a CD?

Select a CD option (read post for further information)

• Current CD. Marking - 12, 22, 32, etc

Votes: 42 77.8%
  • Progressive CD. Marking - 2.5 (or less), 5, 10, 20, 30, etc

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • Progressive CD. Marking - 5 (or less), 10, 15, etc

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • Lower Sleeve Arm Stripes. Marking - 5, 10, 15, etc

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • Other. Marking - post an idea

Votes: 3 5.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bart Nikodem said:
I don't see how. Is the VC somehow cheapend because other medals exist? The Medal of Honor awarded by Congress?
The first "S" in SSM stand for "Special". Hence the need for a separate "SM" that's not as special.
All the best,
Bart

You have a point about "Special". And using "Special" as the criteria for that medal would make it a slight stretch to include any and all military service. But if the CD is off limits, then I thin it would be worth it.

In our system I would say that excess service medals do cheapen other service medals. And, in my opinion, I think that the combination of SSM, CPSM and a new Canadian SM would be too much, in fact I would have preferred it if everyone were issued the PEACE bar to the SSM rather than the CPSM.

George Wallace said:
...A nice Certificate of Service to hang on your "I Love Me Wall" for any Service short of the prerequisite time for a Medal should suffice.

I could agree with you, if you could communicate a clearly defined, concise message on what a "prerequisite time for a Medal" aside from what the medal itself states. And, if not, then why would you be opposed to "A nice Certificate of Service" with "12 years" written on it.

Iterator said:
I could agree with you, if you could communicate a clearly defined, concise message on what a "prerequisite time for a Medal" aside from what the medal itself states. And, if not, then why would you be opposed to "A nice Certificate of Service" with "12 years" written on it.
George Wallace said:
Now you are Trolling.

Lol..  George.. instead of calling him Iterator..

maybe we should change his name to Re-iterator.  ;)
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=reiterator

Actually, in my books he has risen on the scale to the level of:  One "D" Ten "T"  ::)

Submission from Iterator:

From Iterator:
I could agree with you, if you could communicate a clearly defined, concise message on what a

"prerequisite time for a Medal" aside from what the medal itself states.

Agreed, that is unclear.

Let me use the ASM as an example.
Extracted from (http://www.defence.gov.au/minister/Broughtpl.cfm?CurrentId=3952)
"Six years reflects a length of time that we could be reasonably certain that most people would have

completed the requisite training and experience in the Regular or Reserve forces, to be considered fully

deployable should they have been called upon,"...

So, if someone were to ask - "Why is the ASM awarded at 6 years instead of at 5 or at 7?", a constructive

answer can be formed. There is a rationale.

If someone were to ask - "Why is the CD awarded at 12 years instead of at 11 or at 13?", there is no

constructive answer. You could try "11 years isn't long enough to receive a medal for being in the CF",

but that would be empty and somewhat circular.

Modifying the terms for a CD would both improve it and provide a rationale for it. It will detract little from those who already have them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back