• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

So I'm in the market for a new(er) car...any suggestions?

The Mazda 3 is pretty nice. I like it, I really do. It has plenty of power, feels good when I'm driving it, just overall a great little car. Couple things I don't like are the rear seats, just seem small, luckily I don't sit back there and the others(Civic, Corolla) were just as bad. The speakers are iffy, don't always sound great but that's not the biggest thing in the world, not an issue at all if you don't crank the stereo up big time. I don't like the clutch much. Compared to the other standards I've driven, the clutch has a lot of travel before its fully engaged. Its not a big problem but I notice it, and of course if you buy auto its a non-issue. Gas mileage is great. I have about 2000 Km on it, have half a tank or so, and I last filled up(second time I had put gas into it) after about 1600 or 1700 Km. So I'm getting about 800 Km a tank, which is pretty nice. Mostly city driving too.

Overall, I love it. The reasons I ended up with it was simply because out of the Civic, Corolla, and Mazda3, it was the most comfortable to drive, it had the most space for the driver(I'm not huge, but I felt cramped in the Civic and Corolla), and just seemed to be the car that fit. I love it, I wouldn't trade it for the world. Heck of a good little car.

Thanks for the info condor....I need all I can get.

I had the chance to take a Hyundai Elantra for a spin from Pet to Ottawa recently.

Not a bad car, a bit under-powered and hungery for the go juice.

Seemed well built...a far cry from the Pony days.

Keep the info coming troops.

Regards

Hey....

How about a 1981 Ford Bronco?

6.6L V8, removeable top and 3 inch lift, various perf. upgrades (tb spacer, MSD ignition, hooker headers thru flowmaster etc.)

Gets about 230-250km per 70$ tank. (that's one way to Wainwright)

Going Cheap!!

Found On Road Dead......Freakin Old Reject Dodge...

No thanks....tow it out to the range for target practice    ;D

I remember the days when owning one of those didn't mean you had to mortgage your house to fill 'er up.

Good luck trying to sell it. Mind you hunters might be interested in it.

Regards

Well got done looking at cars and what a freakin' day it was.

I'm still pissed as hell but that really doesn't matter.....I can't stand high pressure sales at all. It got to the point that I was almost yelling at the sales guy because he just didn't get it.

I was looking for a car and only wanted to test drive....nothing more.

Next thing he wanted was a deposit to secure the car and assumed that I was going to buy it then and there. I had to explain to the sales rep that I still had to check out how much my insurance was going to go up and check with the bank to see if I could even get a loan....but that didn't even phase him.

Now it is a fine car....2005 Chevy Impala sedan. I like the look and feel. The reviews of it are pretty good too. I know a few guys who have one and they say the mileage is pretty good for a car that size. It is a GM Certified car at that. The mileage is sitting at about 39k and the asking price is sitting at $17k.....I had him down to about $16 700. Meanwhile a quick search of their website and lookie at what I found. The asking price is $17 5k....other cars in Ottawa with even less mileage are going for on average $15 900 to around$16 995.

If we go back....I'll confront him with it and see what kind of a deal we can get.

Anyone have any horror stories on that car?

Here it is....

http://www.butlerchev.gmcanada.com/weblogi...tUsedVeh.Detail

Now onto other cars we tried out.

2007 Dodge Caliber. New to the market. Asking price was sitting at $19 000 and that was for the SXT with the bigger engine. My concern is the transmission....Continuosly Variable Transaxle. Nothing more than what you'd see in a Skidoo clutch with a FWD transmission on it.

http://www.dodge.com/en/caliber/index.html

Nice little car but felt a bit on the cheap side....kinda like an early model Suzuki Sidekick. Pretty good on gas but I don't know anything on it.

2006 Toyota Corolla going for about $20k new. Like it but again...feels a bit on the cheap side. Also as the wife puts it.....gutless.

1.8 L engine gets great fuel economy, but if it means it'll take 10 minutes to pass a semi......

Got to take a 2006 Toyota Camry with 2200km on it and it was going for $24 995 and the dealer wasn't going to budge on the price at all. I liked it, the frau liked it and it hauled ass. Fuel economy was pretty good as well. Solid car and lots of room.

2003 Camry 45k on the odometer asking price $19 995 as well....is this a fair asking price? There would be hardly any warrenty left on it.

However the fact that the dealer wasn't budging on the price didn't sit well with me at all.

Any suggestions?

I'll keep you posted on how we make out.

Regards

I know of one guy with an 2005 impala - he likes it.

His criticisms centered around a lack of power, and difficulty putting 2 car seats and a booster seat in the back.

I've driven it (damn TGIF) and liked it, I believe his expectations for power and handling from a family sedan may have been .... misplaced, I thought it was pretty good for a four door!

I'd try to bargain it down to 15k or so. You know it was a trade in that cost them 10k!

Sold the Bronco by the way - asking price, went the first day - thanks to that smokin' AB economy!

Hi there Franko  I know what your going through but I was lucky enough to have a decent dealer . I just wanted a small car and bought a brand new 2006 Pontiac Wave very good on gas . But I am not sure if that car would meet you needs mine is the four door Hatch back

It's worth it to check out canadiancarprices.com to get the Canadian Black Book wholesale and retail prices for used cars...

For a base 2005 Impala the wholesale is $13k and retail is $15675, +/- depending on mileage and options...

I picked up a 2006 Chev Aveo this past week and so far so good. I like how it feels and how it drives. Franko try it out.

The wife and I both like the Alero as well.....but's it's a discontinued line, prices will go up on parts enevitably.

Right now as it stands the Dodge is looking rather good. A friend of the family is the head mech at a Dodge dealership (semi retired) says it appears to be a solid car and the construction of the tranny and engine were designed by Mecedes/ Chrysler.

Warrenty plan also is good...had no problems with it on my other cars.

She just walked in and asked "If you had to buy a car right now, what would it be" I answered the Caliber....so did she.

WE still have a lot of looking to do before we get firm on an idea of what we want though.

Regards

My 2 cents

Write down what you want - and your price

Find a broker

Then he does all the noz with the dealers

He calls you with car A-B-C which fits your specifications

That`s my plan for the next altn vehicle

In the meantime - anyone have an oilwell near by? Meet my 2003 Bravada - http://www.hispanianews.com/archive/2003/01/17/05.htm

On Cruise Control at 80 km I can almost make it 100 km past Montreal and back to Ottawa.

Yeah...seriously thinking of going that route as well.

Anyone deal through a broker for a car before?

Regards

DISCLAIMER:  Three years ago I never would have said this, however my opinion has had a radical tuneup.

My oldest daughter (18) just bought her first new car,  KIA Rio. I know, I know......"is she mental?"  I thought the same thing, until I rode in it, drove it, and basically dissected it.  They did a radical redesign and upgrade to everything, similar to Hyundai back in the '90s (anyone remember the godawful early ponies?).  I gotta say, I'm impressed, and their warranty is bullet proof.  I suggest you give 'em a look.

Way ahead of you...was planning on going later this week.

Regards

Franko,

Thanks so much for posting your opinions of the cars as you check them out. I am car shopping right now too and looking for something along the same lines as you are. I just don't have the means to get around and check many vehicles out right now. Please keep it coming.  :)

Pea said:
Franko,

Thanks so much for posting your opinions of the cars as you check them out. I am car shopping right now too and looking for something along the same lines as you are. I just don't have the means to get around and check many vehicles out right now. Please keep it coming.  :)

No problem.....I'll keep you posted, speaking of which....

Well just got the phone with a mechanic friend of mine from back home. He explained that the engine and transmission for the Caliber were in developement for a few years now and have gone through Mercedes standards testing.

I guess that now that they control 53% of Chrysler they want to ensure quality.

He's says that it's shaping up to be a quality car. Now this guy I can actually trust, been working with the company for years and now partially retired, drives a Chevy and a Dodge, has a Mitsubichi and Toyota as well for the others in the family.

His only concern, which it is warrented, is that it is a new car and they haven't been on the market for long. As such there isn't many user end miles on it right now.

His take on it is....buy it if it suits my needs. It does.

Get extra warrenty on it for at least 5 years bumper to bumper and at least 10 yr or 100k powertrain.

Also oil changes must be regular or a bit on the short side. He says that most problems with people who get a leased car or new is they let it go way too long, thye gunk up and clog up the oil pickup in the sump....it goes down hill from there. You all know the rest.

After a break in period, which isn't very long at all anymore (under 2000km) he says to switch to full synthetic...which I had done with my old Neon, and it still looks pretty much pristine today....just very tired.

Not bad for an 11 year old car that most people make fun of on a regular basis IMHO.

Mind you we are still searching and we're still open to any other cars at this point. The research is causing me to turn a bit gray....but it'll be worth it if we get a good car at a great price.

Regards

Used Acura TL. Should be able to find one (2001-2003) with 50,000km for about $17-20k. Since the new gen TL's came out, there are some terrific deals on the older body styles.

If you want to go new, I would def check out the Hyundai (yes, Hyundai) Sonata V6 GL or GLS.

That's a bit too much kms on a car that has a third of the mileage as my old Neon.

Probably wouldn't have any warrenty left on it at all either.

I'd have to pass on that....sorry.

Regards

54/102 CEF said:
My 2 cents

Write down what you want - and your price

Find a broker

Then he does all the noz with the dealers

He calls you with car A-B-C which fits your specifications

That`s my plan for the next altn vehicle

In the meantime - anyone have an oilwell near by? Meet my 2003 Bravada - http://www.hispanianews.com/archive/2003/01/17/05.htm

On Cruise Control at 80 km I can almost make it 100 km past Montreal and back to Ottawa.

What are the costs associated with a broker.  Does he/she take a % of the sale or a flat rate and are you (we) responsible for those monies?

I have never heard of a broker.

Cheers

I also forgot to mention our vehicle.  We have a '03 Santa Fe, V6, AWD.  I was against it (refer to various other posts re: reliability, I also drove my buddies parent's Pony in High School). 

The SF has been great, around 550/600 km per tank (city driving).  It runs in FWD until it notices traction problems then goes to a 60/40 front/back split (I think, or it may be 50/50).  It is a good size.  My bro bought a Liberty at the same time and was jealous of the difference in interior size.  Lots of room for, strollers, babyseats, other assorted debris from growing up.........

God how I miss the days of my early '80's Rabbit ;)

Back