• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

So? What is the Story with the shortage of Hatbadges?

GW,

I have some Jimmy capbadges I am hopefully not using...did you want me to ship them to you??  8)

Seriously...I had no idea there was a shortage of these items.  I guess though, all I have to worry about is 'naked guy' cap badges so...I'll never understand why Jimmy doesn't have a kilt on or something!  >:D

ArmyVern said:
I'm certain that I once watched a recruiting commercial with a nice, young gentleman pilot disemarking an Aircraft (sure it was a Boeing too), in his service dress ... lovely little briefcase in hand ... onto the tarmac.

Ok well theres always the Polaris and Challenger guys........

There was a recruiting ad in the seventies that showed a young captain posed in managerial mode at the bottom of the stairs/ramp leading down from the front door of a 707. He had an attache case clutched in one hand, and looked very executivish. He certainly looked like he would consider a tour in a combat zone a career hinderance.

As a result, at least one CO I am aware of banned attache cases in his unit.

Actually at CFB Kingston and CFB Edmonton there's a ridiculous shortage of Jimmy cap badges for some odd reason... Borden had tones when I was there on PRETC while back but they wouldn't actually give them to us until we were clearing out to go on course, and at that, just 1... At least now I know WHY there is a shortage of something like that... We've been wondering for awhile!

Valcartier seemed to have a lot of them when I was there last year, ended up getting 2 just in case.

Sig Joeschmo said:
Actually at CFB Kingston and CFB Edmonton there's a ridiculous shortage of Jimmy cap badges for some odd reason... Borden had tones when I was there on PRETC while back but they wouldn't actually give them to us until we were clearing out to go on course, and at that, just 1... At least now I know WHY there is a shortage of something like that... We've been wondering for awhile!

Well that coupled with the fact that Kingston houses a whole regiment of Jimmy's and Edmonton is home to a Squadron of them, plus those attached to the rest of the 1 Bde units, whereas Borden has maybe a handful of Sigs working on base.

Digging up an old thread here but are there any updates on the Hat Badge issue that someone could pass on? I now have people in my section running around with metal Log Badges on their berets due to the shortage.

Could the shortage be because everyone has two (at least) headdresses.  AF has a beret and wallet...um, wedge, and the Land folks usually have two berets (one for work and one for parades).  Probably the same for the Navy lads too, one for the forage and one for the beret.
I didn't know that the Queen's Crown was on it's way out and had been replaced with the Kings...is this true??
Could it also be that PRETC recruits get rebadged prior to QL3...they rebadged me during my remuster (VOT for you younger folks) as I walked into POET (which I was unsuccessful at and rebadged again!)
:2c:
BYTD

Word on the street in my neck of the woods is the contract for them ran out and PWGSC has yet to renew it (same goes for Land Force Command pins, etc). There's apparently (again, word on the street) that there is quite the shortage of DEU-related accoutrements.

Currently in Gagetown the fol has none avail in Canada:

Engineer Cap Badge
LF Command Badge
Cpl Collar dogs

BYT Driver said:
I didn't know that the Queen's Crown was on it's way out and had been replaced with the Kings...is this true??
BYTD
Actually there is no such things as a Queens or Kings Crown. Each King or Queen has their choice of picking a crown of their choice from a group of crowns available.
As for hat badge crowns, The RCR have it made as the crown on their hat badge never changes.

X Royal said:
Actually there is no such things as a Queens or Kings Crown. Each King or Queen has their choice of picking a crown of their choice from a group of crowns available.
As for hat badge crowns, The RCR have it made as the crown on their hat badge never changes.

There is a bit of truth in this, but still not all of it is true.  Although the monarch does have a choice of crowns, the male and female crowns do have certain design similarities.  As for the RCR crown on their hat badge never changing, that is new to me.

The VIII CH doesn't have a crown to change with each monarch as their badge is topped by a Coronet.  The RCD have two official hat badges.  The Springbok has no crown, and the Royal Cypher would be that of the reigning monarch.  There are other units that also do not have a crown in their badge.

George Wallace said:
There is a bit of truth in this, but still not all of it is true.  Although the monarch does have a choice of crowns, the male and female crowns do have certain design similarities. 

There is no specific gender assigned to the crowns.  Each monarch approves their own cypher and the use of the "Queen's" and "King's" crowns designations is a colloquial usage to differentiate/explain the crowns used during the reigns of Edward VII, George V and George VI (which were the same by their choosing not by any established convention) from those used during Victoria's reign before and by QEII since.  There is no "guarantee" that if Charles or William takes the throne they will return to the cypher crown used by George VI.

Michael O'Leary said:
There is no specific gender assigned to the crowns.  Each monarch approves their own cypher and the use of the "Queen's" and "King's" crowns designations is a colloquial usage to differentiate/explain the crowns used during the reigns of Edward VII, George V and George VI (which were the same by their choosing not by any established convention) from those used during Victoria's reign before and by QEII since.  There is no "guarantee" that if Charles or William takes the throne they will return to the cypher crown used by George VI.
So, by your own submission, in order to help the layman muddle through the trapping of the Monarchy, we have a "King and Queen's crown'. Not an official designation, but one accepted to help the unwashed differentiate between the two.

I think everyone can concede that point and move along.

recceguy said:
So, by your own submission, in order to help the layman muddle through the trapping of the Monarchy, we have a "King and Queen's crown'. Not an official designation, but one accepted to help the unwashed differentiate between the two.

I think everyone can concede that point and move along.

Yes, the problem arises when people extrapolate that to believe that all crowns must change if we get a king, and then that it will return to the previous "king's crown".

Ahhh so it's much more complicated. In the unlikely event that our next Monarch is a female, Her Majesty may decide to change back to the crown formerly known as "king's".

I have noticed many hatbadges for sale (both kings and Queens crowns) at the local Historical Arms Society sale events, as well as ebay. Not to mention various unit kit shops.

Michael: Correct me if I'm wrong but not including the changes up to the 1920's the more recent changes represent the same crown just different versions of it as produced be us.

Back