• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"So You Want To Be A Pilot" Merged Thread 2002 - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
I considered it. Really considered it. But then I realized that although I loved the idea of being a pilot (who wouldn‘t want to be a fighter pilot), I wasn‘t sure thats where my skills were best placed. Basically the thought of getting out in 20 years and being a pilot wasn‘t really my cup of tea. I wouldn‘t really ever consider being a pilot as a civilian occupation. I figured I‘d sign up for occupations that are closer to what I‘ve been looking for in the civilian world.

I would but they have the dumb 20/20 sight rule, maybe I‘ll be your air nav in a couple years.

Forget fighter pilot, it would be great to fly ANYTHING...I too would like it very much, flying had always been my dream. My plan is to finish my degree at university and do some time in the reserves, then head to Australia (I have dual citizenship) and apply to their airforce. My family is from there and I got my sister to call an ADF recruiter, they are currently "evaluating" the "possiblity" of training pilots with laser eye surgury. Apparently, 40% of the Australian population of 21 million wears corrective lenses, so I guess they‘ve decided it‘s not worth losing 8 million prospective candidates right off the bat.

If not that, there is always getting a private license (starting at only 22 thousand...!) and applying from there.

My father (don‘t live with him) does physicals for air force pilots and RCMP officers, and said they have to be in rather good shape, to say the least.

May I ask what degree you are getting? When I was researching the trade, I found that Ground School is rather heavy in maths. I‘ve never had severe problems with them (did some calculus at university), but I chose instead to work on a degree in political science (useless as it is), and in a competitive selection environment (wide open doesn‘t necessarily mean desperate), I‘m just not sure how I‘ll stack up.

Hence the plan for military experience. And hey, if that doesn‘t work out, there‘s always the regs.

I‘m doing my degree in human relation communication... i did my 436 math and not my 536 math. I however did at cegep somes quantitatives math and at university i did somes stats math. To applicate on pilot you dont need necesserly math but it give you more chance. The selection board for pilots is march 27!!! I cant **** wait what will be the answer! I will cross fingers that day and try to put somes positives power when Borden people will read my files and decide what they will do with me :)

good luck man. put in a good word for me, perhaps i‘ll be joining ya in 4 or so years :) let us know how it goes.

cpl-cam, the 20/20 vision rule is more of a guideline. if you have close to 20/20 then your reevaluated, etc. But your vision still has to be good(you can still apply and wear glasses as far as I know)

you can‘t actually. DEO candidates must have 20/20. DEO is where you have the degree and apply from there. look at the entry plans on the air force website.

yup for the DEO program you must have a 20/20 vision... I know that for the other one you can have a little less view but there again to be a pilot you must score almost all 1 in your medic compilation

Hey all,

I've got three queries.

1) Lets just say I don't have 20/20 vision. But, I get laser surgery so that I do have 20/20. Am I eligable to be a CF pilot?

2) Also, how hard is it to become a fighter pilot? (I expect the answer to be somewhere between 'very' and 'extremely')

3) Is Canada going to buy the new F-22???????

Regards,
Harris  :cdn:

Hi Harris,

Here are some short, but brutally honest answers to your questions:

1) No - Laser surgery is not acceptable for the Pilot MOC

2) You are correct in your assumption:  You will most likely have a 1 in 16 chance of becoming a CF-18 pilot in the CF.

3) Future acquisitions for the CF is always strife with ?? and !!, so your guess is as good as mine.

Cheers,

Zoomie,

Ouch.... Rough stuff. Well thank's anyway. Are you a fighter pilot?

Regards,
Harris  :cdn:

No, he flys the Sleek Greyhound of Death!  ;D I'm a fling wing dude myself, Sea Things to be exact.

Cheers

As Inch inferred, I fly multi-engine aircraft.  Due to the huge wait for the CP-140 Aurora (aka Sleek Greyhound) I have been posted down the hall to 442 SQN, where I will fly the CC-115 Buffalo in its SAR role. :)

I didn't know you switched to Buffs, good deal.

The lingo is part of the whole Air Force "experience", you'll hear a ton of it.   Always good for a chuckle. I think "crunchie" is my favourite word, that's an army dude, because that's the sound they make when you land on em!

Here is the Medical Requirements set out for Flight Surgoens

http://www.dciem.dnd.ca/medical/glfs_e.html

I heard that they were changing the req'mts on the laser eye surgery. I heard that they were going to accept it. is that true? Oh, and i have a question. I'm 4'11". Is that gonna be a huge problem in becoming a pilot?
thnx

The Americans are researching the effects of laser eye surgery, but as of yet or in the near future, don't count on it.  4'11" could be a problem, I'm 5'7" with a 26" inseam and my leg length was almost too short. It all depends on how you're built, I knew a guy that was about 5'2" so there are short guys around, but lower limit according to the DCIEM website is 157 cm, which is just a shade under 5'2".

Cheers

Almost. Its hereditary. My mom is 4'11" too. so i dont think im gonna grow that much more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back