• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"So You Want To Be A Pilot" Merged Thread 2002 - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't forget you can always do an occupational transfer while you're at RMC provided you pass aircrew selection.   A certain number of pilot slots avail are for OTs from within the CF.   I know a few guys that joined for AERE or some other trade then switched to pilot. Another thing that hasn't been pointed out yet, the RMC route is 4 years of school, 2 years to get your wings, plus you owe 7 years after you get your wings, that's right boys and girls 13yrs.   The 7 years isn't negotiable, it's restricted release which means one way or the other you're staying in till that time is up.

So as long as you pass aircrew, you've always got the option of switching later. The point is don't give up.

Just from prior posts on the subject, I do not think it is any easier to get into RMC depending upon what occupation you apply for.  RMC is extremely competitive--for all applicants.

This is just a curious question, since of course I do not possess the 20/20 vision (and thinks to astigmatiism its only getting worse..)
but i'm 6'2, how (un)comfortable would it be for me in a Griffon or a Seaking?

so im guessing getting into rmc is based on which program you choose, and how competitive it is?

Sheerin, you could be 7' tall and still be comfortable in the Sea King or Griffon, where you'd have the problem would be the Jet Ranger for basic helo school, I'm 5'7" and my head touched the roof. The tall guys have to slouch to be somewhat comfortable. It's definitely a tiny chopper.

Cheers,

Thanks, I was kinda curious to know. 
How many hours did/would you have to log on the Jet Ranger, before moving on?

The basic helo school course is 92 hrs. You're allowed to have up to 10% or 9.2 hrs for review if you're having trouble or you fail a test. Also, sometimes there's air traffic control delays or weather or some other thing that delays your flight beyond the scheduled time but they don't count that against the req course time (we call it DNCO or Duty Not Carried Out).  My total from BHS including DNCO was 115.7 hrs, all Jet Ranger time.

Cheers

A pilot friend of mine has heard that the training sequence for new pilots has changed slightly recently. Instead of Second Language Training immediately following BOT and before Phase 1 Primary Flying it can now occur after Phase 2 Flying at an appropriate time.

Anyone currently in the system who has done this?

I wouldn't be totally opposed to it, but I just wonder for the Pilots themselves... Doing both phases of flying training, and then before going to Phase III (Helos, Multi-Engine, or Jets), having to do 7 months of SLT. I know I would rather get on with Phase III training, rather than have to wait 7 months to start it.

Well... its probably depend on what is your fist language because for my part, I will have to do the second language course right after my officer course because i'm from Quebec. Knowing how the army like the standardisation of everything my guess would be no but then again i dont know. English is the only language in aviation so all the french speaking person (like me) need to master it before going on those course to be able to do the communication in english while in the air and catching what the instructors are telling me. :warstory:

My understanding is that at RMC, there is a set number of students they can push through in a given year, and those total number of seats are broken down and assigned MOC's based on the CF's requirements. So recruiters will act to fill those pilot seats that are available there first as these placements are paid for by the military already simply because they run the school regardless. If, like is the case for the last few years, they need many more pilots than there are pilot seats in RMC, they will act to fill them another way. Sure, DEO is cheaper for them, but they will, maybe, also send you to a civilian university. That was the case with me. I applied and was accepted after my second year at a civi-U and they sponsored me for the remainder of my education there. Although I ended up paying for a few years myself, I am happy about that now that I have heard just how difficult RMC can be.
So to those who are thinking of getting their degree and then applying DEO...think about applying part way through your degree...that way you can go to school, for free, and get paid, without all that daily inspection and military stuff that they go through at RMC.

Hello Everyone....My First post here.  Great Site!

So, I'm a Commercial Pilot-Fixed Wing.  300Hrs. 23 Years Old.  Live in Toronto.  College (3Yr Diploma) Education. 

I am not employed as a pilot, but run my own business right now.  I have a fair amount of free time, and would be interested in becoming a Pilot in the Reserves. 

Is this possible?

I have sent an e-mail to derbach.bg@forces.ca, but it comes back as undeliverable.
Look forward to your thoughts!

Cheers

CP

---------------
Jet Thrust.com - The Aviation Network
www.jetthrust.com

In order to be a Pilot reg force or reserve, you have to be an officer. In order to be an officer you must have a degree from a recognised university.  The recruiter at 4900 yonge st told me civilian certification is worthless to the military.

drop in an ask the recruiters, its a big brown building across from the shepherd subway stop.

Rich

There are very few pilot positions avail to reservists. TacHel being the most common. 400 Sqn in Borden and 438 Sqn in St Hubert are reserve Sqns, there are a few reg force positions there but it's mostly reservists. If you're interested in fixed wing, there's 402 Sqn in Winnipeg, but to give you a comparison of the experience they're looking for....I know a guy that got accepted to fly the Dash 8s at 402 Sqn, he had over 8500hrs and was the Capt on a CRJ for Air Canada. I think there's also some reserve positions in Trenton, but again, I have my doubts that they'll hire you with 300hrs of bug smasher time. Don't get me wrong, I have friends that had under 300hrs when they first flew the Herc, but they had gone through all the training in Portage, Moose Jaw and Portage again.

In addition to all this, you also have to pass the same aircrew medical that the rest of us do. So if you wear glasses, forget about it. If you have an irregular heart beat, forget about it.

Most reserve pilots that I know are retired reg force pilots. There's a very select few that are recruited off the street. The air reserve doesn't work the same way as the army reserve, one evening a week and one weekend a month kind of thing.

Cheers

pilot_hopeful said:
In order to be a Pilot reg force or reserve, you have to be an officer. In order to be an officer you must have a degree from a recognised university.   The recruiter at 4900 yonge st told me civilian certification is worthless to the military.

drop in an ask the recruiters, its a big brown building across from the shepherd subway stop.

Rich

Check with your recruiter again.  There's a program that is solely for Civilian Pilots.  It's run in partnership with Canadore.  Also a 3 Yr program at a recognised community college is also acceptable for officers.

Love793, I know the program you're talking about, it was my entry plan. It has since been closed to my knowledge.

In any case, at a minimum he'd have to go to Portage for the multi course. They made my RJ Capt buddy do it and as I said, he had 8500hrs. The course would be approx 3-4 months in length, could you miss that amount of time from work? Pilot training is not something you can do on weekends or whenever you're avail. It's highly technical and requires a certain amount of practice to be good at.

Thanks for the info.  I'm still awaiting the updated recruiters handbook.  He should still be able to use the "Semi Skilled" entry system.  Good point on the time frame though.

I am pretty sure that the three year diploma will not qualify you as an officer in the airforce but Inch or someone correct me if I am wrong.

I have a 3 year diploma, however, I got in in 1999 when they were actively recruiting pilots. Times have changed and to my knowledge a degree is required now.

Love,

You're a young fellow. Whats a year? Transferring your diploma to a university college and getting it recognized in one of their degree programs is propably the best advice. Just my 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back