• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Soldier On Sports Recovery/Rehabilitation Fund

Good Day to all;
From Monday the 2nd June to Tuesday the 3rd of June I completed a run/walk of 172km in support of the Red Run/Walk the Highway of Heroes and the Canadian Forces Health and Fitness initiatives. Throughout the 23hrs while on my feet I was joined by many friends who kept me company. Even in the quiet dark hours of 02,03 and 0400. To those who supported me in body and in spirit "THANKYOU".
There are many MFRC's and DGPFSS(CFPSA) events coming up in the next few summer months. If you can volunteer some of your time to strengthen our Defence Team please do.
http://www.cfpsa.com/en/corporate/NewsCentre/Support/index.asp

Duty With Honour
Soldier On
Sgt Andrew McLean :salute: :cdn:

Here is a link to an article in the latest Maple Leaf about Sgt Steve Danial (retired).
Best of luck Steve.
http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/community/mapleleaf/article_e.asp?id=4438

Duty With Honour
Soldier On
Sgt Andrew McLean

Here is a recent article posted on the Airforce webpage.

http://www.airforce.forces.gc.ca/8wing/news/releases_e.asp?cat=99&id=6388

Duty With Honour
Soldier On
Sgt Andrew McLean :cdn: :salute:

Good Day to all;
I have some great news to report to all who have been following this thread the past couple of years.
First Capt Kim Fawcett recently competed at the World ITU Triathlon Champ in Vancouver and placed 3rd overall for woman with above the knee amputations. Her placing should be moved up to 2nd due to an athlete not completing the required amount of loops for the cycle portion. Congrats to Kim for a great effort.
Steve Daniel (retired) this past weekend was successful in his bid to be part of the Canadian Paralympic Team and will be headed to Beijing this September to once again represent his country on the World Stage. Congratulations Steve on a great effort. We we are all behind you and we will be watching!!

You Are
You Can
You Will
We Believe

Duty With Honour
Soldier On
Sgt Andrew McLean :cdn: :salute:

Good Day to all;

The 2nd Annual Celebrity Golf Tourn was a huge success. Final total raised for the Soldier On program was $42,000!!! Thanks to an anonymous donor tripling the $14,000 raised for the day.
www.soldieron08.com

Duty With Honour
Soldier On

19 Wing Comox;
Another community initiative in Comox being held today. Click the link below to read about Canada's own Julian Austin playing at the Whistle Stop Pub in Courtney B.C. in support of the Soldier On Program.

http://www.airforce.forces.ca/19wing/news/releases_e.asp?cat=79&id=6418

Duty With Honour
Soldier On

Andrew,

There are photos on the Trenton drive from the Surf 'n Turf.  Kim was part of the RMC team and did the road bike portion.

Photos from the Limestone Tri are not yet up, but when they are I will let you know.  Damn!  Can that girl swim!  I was watching her heat in the pool.  I think she may have lapped a couple of people.

Thanks Strike;

I was getting to that one as well. LOL So much going on. The link provided is to the Contact news paper and an article on the Surf and Turf event. They also happen to collect $1500 for Soldier On with reports from the Wing Commander that a few more dollars are on there way. Congrats to 8 Wing for a very successful event and congrats to all the participants who participated. Capt Kim Fawcett can been seen just below center under the text!
http://thecontactnewspaper.cfbtrenton.com/archives/june_20_2008/page12_13_june_20_2008.pdf

Duty With Honour
Soldier On

Below is an email I sent to Glen Hooge, Kenny Shaw and Barry Vandusen owner of the Whistle Stop Pub in Courtney B.C. The link to the event held http://www.airforce.forces.ca/19wing/news/releases_e.asp?cat=79&id=6418
They raised a total of $5500 dollars for the Soldier On program.

I would like to take this time to extend a heart felt thanks to all who took time this past Friday to support  the Soldier On Program. With your efforts, lives will continue to be touched and goals will be more easily achieved. Through community events such as yours, we build stronger Canadians. I understand the time and effort it takes to put events such as these together and without volunteers non of it would be possible. Thank you!
To all with adaptive lifestyles, their families and friends and to those who support them;
    You Are
    You Can
    You Will
    We Believe

Duty With Honour
Soldier On
Sgt Andrew McLean

Attached is a photo of the event organizers along with 19 Wing Commander Col. Fred Bigelow.
A cheque presentation will be conducted on Friday June 27th at 19 Wing Comox.

Duty With Honour
Soldier On
Sgt Andrew McLean
Soldier On Program Developer

Recent news release on 19 Wings web page.
Once again a big thanks to those who take time to support our troops.
http://www.airforce.forces.ca/19wing/news/releases_e.asp?cat=79&id=6545

Duty With Honour
Soldier On
Sgt Andrew McLean
Soldier On Program Developer

Good Day to all;

I am writing my last post as a SAR Tech and will be shortly leaving the trade (not the military) to start my new position in Ottawa as the Soldier On Program Manager. I believe that I have made the right decision in pursuing a personal support postion and am looking forward at the opportunity to make a difference each and every day.

Thanks to all who have supported the CFSOF program and to those who continue to!

Duty With Honour
Soldier On
Sgt Andrew McLean
Soldier On Program Manager

Sgt McLean:

Thanks for all of your work in establishing the programme. Believe there is alot more great work that you can do at the head of the programme that will benefit many more CF men and women in uniform. Look foward to meeting you on your arrival.

Ws

Good Day to all;
Here is a link to a CBC story on Steve Daniel and his road to Beijing.
http://www.cbc.ca/national/blog/special_feature/road_to_beijing/a_soldiers_battle.html

Duty With Honour
Soldier On

Good Day to all;
The link posted is about a program called Project Healing Waters from the United States. Sgt Thompson 2 PPLI and Cpl Kozakiewicz (Koz) 2 PPCLI were the 2 Canadians mentioned. I chatted with Sgt Thompson and he said they had a great time. Soldier On provides resources for not only conventional recreational activity but for the unconventional as well.
As you read through the article you will see the effort made by those to put this together and Soldier On contributed the airfare for our guys to attend. I hope as our fund grows we can contribute even more.

To Dave and Koz thanks for your dedication and committment.

http://www.nativebrooktrout.com/features/feature9.html

Duty With Honour
Soldier On

Recently Sgt Karen McCoy of 403 Sqn Camp Gagetown participated with the Canadian National Sitting Volleyball team in Oklahoma. They went down to gain knowledge and exp from the American National Team who are off to Beijing for the Paralympic games. Sgt McCoy had a great time and thanks everyone for their continued support of the Soldier On Program.
Without fund raising initiatives and donations we would not be able to provide these types of experiences for our athletically diverse CF members. Thanks again to all who continue to support the SO Program.
(Sgt McCoy is second from the right)

Duty With Honour
Soldier On

Good Day to all;

Between the Canadian Paralympic Foundation and the CF Soldier On Fund we have surpassed the $100,000 mark. Funds are being used as the requests come in.
Our latest benefactor will be MCpl Rickard from North Bay who will be heading on a 5 day Kayak trip in B.C. with World T.E.A.M Sports.
The organizers approached us to include a CF member with an athletic diversity and MCpl Rickard accepted. He will get some pictures and will update us on his exp. The organization teams up non diverse and diverse athletes (disabled) to come together in completing a mission. The organizers also offered the spot "all expenses paid" so we did not have to dig to deep for this trip. Along with Project Healing Waters we hope to be able to send more CF members on these trips. He will also be joined by an American service man or woman.

Duty With Honour
Soldier On

Here is a picture of MCpl Rick Rickard being quickly followed by the Wing Commander of 19 Wing Comox Col. Bigelow. This years ski event will hopefully be held in Feb 09 and have between 5 and 10 CF members participating.

Duty With Honour
Soldier On
Sgt Andrew McLean

Good Day to all;  I have updated on this blog for close to 2 years now and have kept to updates and activities that have been going on across Canada with regards to Soldier On. This time my post is to get some greatly needed feedback from the Army.ca membership and guests. Here is the question/concern.

If I were to after these past couple of years tell you all that our focus from here on in will only be Active serving members and that the program will no longer focus on retired what would your response be?

My position on the Soldier On program is very well documented in this blog.

Duty With Honour
Soldier On
Sgt Andrew McLean

Good Day to all;

In the past week we have received some very heavy cheques in support of the Soldier On Fund. 25,000/20,000. We received a cheque from the Good as Gold Golf tourny for $5000 http://www.goodasgoldopen.ca/ Thanks to the Canadian National Woman's Hockey Team for that.

Duty With Honour
Soldier On

Good Day to all;

I have been in Ottawa for 1 month now and am settling in my new position with the Soldier On program. We have had a basic foundation for the SO program in place for some time but had not yet developed the strategic plan which will bring this program to its full potential. CMP has given us guidance on this issue and with his instruction we will have a framework in place by October. Along with that a meeting with DVA is in the works to discuss retired members.
The program has been very successful up until now and we continue to provide financial support to those who have asked. With a strategic plan in place we can further the process of intergrating it into the mainstream culture of the CF.

We are doing the right thing.

I will be shortly posting our Key messages.

If at any time you have questions or concerns please feel free to contact me through the DIN or through Army.ca.

Once again a heart felt Thank you to all those who have given their time and efforts to help support the SO program.

Duty With Honour
Soldier On

Back