• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Soldier On Sports Recovery/Rehabilitation Fund

Geo;

I have just received the form "Non Public Property (NPP) Payment Deduction Authorization". On this form it states the NPP Outlet (Soldier On Fund) and the SO Account Number. The person would fill it out like any other deduction with a void cheque and the money would be directed to the fund specified when set up.
You can always call me at 613-816-3200 or email at McLean.AC@forces.gc.ca if you would like to discuss further.

Sgt Andrew McLean

Good Day to all;
MCpl Rick Rickard recently travelled to Vancouver Island with World T.E.A.M sports on a kayak trip. Here is a link to an article written about the trip. Rick is sending me pictures shortly and I will post them here once I have received them.
http://www.27east.com/story_detail.cfm?id=163393

Duty With Honour
Soldier On
Sgt Andrew McLean :salute: :cdn:

Recently a LCol. from the British army contacted us about a British program called "Battle Back", he told us that it was somewhat inspired by both the American Wounded Warrior and Canadian Soldier On programs. I have attached a recent article about their similar type program in the U.K.
There are some very good opportunities that have been presented by them and one is a D-Day Memorial bicycle ride across northern France. The dates are for late May 2009. I will be sure to pass on the info once more has come our way.

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/TrainingAndAdventure/NewHelpForWoundedSoldiersInBattleBackToFitness.htm

Duty With Honour
Soldier On

Here is a link to the most recent article on Steve Daniel (retired) he is now in China and rowing on the lake getting ready for his races starting on the 9th. At the end of the article is an audio link with pictures. You will notice in the pictures the very large support our troops ribbon on his racing shell. Good luck Steve.
http://www.northernlife.ca/News/Sports/2008/090208-paralympicsTOP.asp?NLStory=090208-paralympicsTOP
:cdnsalute:

Duty With Honour
Soldier On

Andrew,

Any idea if Steve is going to have a blog going or if we can contact him via e-mail to send our encouragements?

Strike

Strike;
I am not sure if CBC will have an athletes blog on their site much like the one for the Olympics. I know that Steve has access to the internet and is loading pictures on his facebook profile. (steve daniel) I have his personal email but am not comfortable listing it on here. I will be chatting with the Paralympic committee public affairs to see if they have a means for us to send messages to a blog site. Will let you know soonest.

Duty With Honour
Soldier On

Strike; here it is.

The Canadian Paralympic Committee has a "Wish Good Luck" to a Canadian Paralympic athlete page. You can scroll down on the athlete tab and find his name. He is listed as Steven Daniel. And for the selection of sport they do not have his discipline- Adaptive Rowing listed yet. I would suggest in the Message title block putting "Adaptive Rower".

There is a committee member in Beijing who prints out all the messages and delivers them to the named athlete.
I am sure Steve would love to hear from members of Army.ca.

http://www.paralympic.ca/page?a=2152&lang=en-CA

Duty With Honour
Soldier On

Good Day to all;
Attached you will see pictures of MCpl Rick Rickard's recent kayak trip. I posted the article link a few days ago here.

Duty With Honour
Soldier On

Andrew,
thanks for sharing all this info here. If it appears that not many post, and therefore are not interested, I would submit that most are like myself and don't want to spoil this wonderful thread with mindless drivel-type posts.

Please keep it coming.
Bruce

Andrew,

Have to agree with Bruce.  Those pics are awesome by the way.  Especially the last one.  That would have been a nice trip to be on.  Beautiful waters.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Andrew,
thanks for sharing all this info here. If it appears that not many post, and therefore are not interested, I would submit that most are like myself and don't want to spoil this wonderful thread with mindless drivel-type posts.

Please keep it coming.
Bruce

One only has to look before clicking on this subject:  Views    10246  (as of this second).

Just in;
Received this photo today. Our former CDS with Haley Wickenheiser. Thanks again to the Canadian Woman's Hockey team and all the volunteers and participants of this years Good as Gold golf tourney.

Duty With Honour
Soldier On
Sgt Andrew McLean

Good Day to all; Beijing
Steve Daniel finished 4th in the semifinal race so he will be rowing in the B final for international placing. In a short few months Steve has been able to reach the world stage in arms only rowing. He has achieved the gold medal in family and character and serves Canada proud. Congrats Steve on your success.
:cdnsalute:
Duty With Honour
Soldier On

Congratulations on all the hard work & dedication Steve

Good luck in the semis

CHIMO!

Good Day to all;

The Army Run is fast approaching and I believe they will reach their max of 6000 runners, yesterday they had 5700 registered.

Maj. Bruce Henwood (retired) and his son will be travelling from Calgary to participate in the 5km, he is not sure how fast he will be but is very much looking forward to being part of the celebration. I have attached a link to an Army News article which gives some background on his career and who he is. I was on tour with Cpl Schovanek and think of him often when dealing with the Soldier On Program.
http://www.army.dnd.ca/LF/English/6_1_1.asp?id=183
http://cavunp.ab.ca/EventsArchive/Event%2020_HenwoodPresentation/Henwood%20presentation.htm

Duty With Honour
Soldier On

Didn't know if you'd share this one, so I thought I would - well done!

Shared in accordance with the "fair dealing" provisions, Section 29, of the Copyright Act.

Sergeant on a roll with first-ever Army Run
Donna Casey, Sun Media, 19 Sept 08
Article link

He probably could do the half-marathon without breaking a sweat but Sgt. Andrew McLean knows the five kilometres he'll cover this Sunday in the first-ever Army Run will be a one-of-a-kind experience.

McLean will park himself in a wheelchair and roll along side his friend Master Cpl. Paul Franklin, who lost both legs to a suicide bomber in Kandahar in 2006.

Franklin has warned McLean, a multiple winner of Ironman competitions, that wheeling the 5K at the inaugural Army Run event will feel like a marathon for his torso.

"He said he would tape my legs to the chair," said McLean with a laugh of participating in the downtown run Sunday.

"I'm going to be there with Paul and I'm going to be there with 6,700 other runners. We'll be feeding off each other," said McLean of joining Canadian Forces members from across the country.

Event organizers have been overwhelmed by registration for both the 5K and half-marathon which sets off at the Cartier Drill Hall Sunday morning.

Modelled on the U.S. Army Ten Miler and the Marine Corps Marathon in Washington, the run is designed to connect Canadian troops with other Canadians.

'A BIG THANK YOU'

"It's about supporting the Canadian Forces, supporting the troops but also giving a big thank you to the Canadian public," said McLean.

The run is also a fundraiser for the Military Families Fund and Soldier On, a program McLean co-founded to help injured soldiers resume a healthy lifestyle.

Other injured soldiers will also lace up for the race, including Cpl. Shaun Fevens, who survived a bomb blast a year ago in Afghanistan that killed six fellow soldiers.

The 25-year-old Halifax native plans to run the 5K with his physiotherapist.

McLean said participants, including civilians who make up two-thirds of those registered, will be buoyed by the energy of the event.

"It's a show of unity throughout all the commands," said McLean of the strong showing among army, navy and air force ranks, including Chief of Defence Staff Gen. Walt Natynczyk and Defence Minister Peter McKay.

"In the end, all of our jobs go right back to the soldier standing in the front lines," said McLean.

Good Day to all;

The Army Run was a great success and many of our injured were able to attend with either a family member or fellow unit members. The tally for money raised for both the Military Families Fund and Soldier On is not yet in but I am told it was passing the 20,000 mark 2 weeks ago. Will update everyone as soon as I get the total. Link provided is from the Ottawa Citizen today. Congratulations to all who participated and a huge thanks to the organizers and volunteers who made it happen.
Pte Rob Webster who sustained a C-2 cervical spine fracture was also on hand from Toronto, CMP presented him with a Toronto Maple Leafs jersey signed by names like Johnny Bauer, Wendal Clark, Daryl Sitler and 30 other Leaf greats!!  Do not have to be a Leaf fan to know what that shirt means to a fan.
:cheers:

St-Jean recruit school instructors also were on hand in strength and pride, their team was named after 5 injured soldiers Sgt McCoy, Cpl Fevens, MCpl Franklin, Pte Webster and Capt Fawcett. They also brought a heavy cheque of 4500 for Soldier On bringing their total to date to just over 18,000 donated to SO.

Lots of pictures to follow and I will post a few once I receive them.

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/story.html?id=97e71333-98f3-4b2c-a587-193aa481927a

Duty With Honour
Soldier On

Good Day to all; attached are two photo's or Pte Rob Webster PPCLI (Edmonton) with the Leaf's hockey jersey and some Army Run Bunnies!! Rob's trip to Ottawa was coordinated by many both from the Canadian Forces and the Civilian Health Services, a big thanks to all of them for their hard work and commitment for making this happen for Rob. :salute:

Duty With Honour
Soldier On

Photo of the cheque presentation by St-Jean Recruit School. MCpl Franklin, Capt Fawcett center and the CDS is just off to the side.
$4500.

Duty With Honour
Soldier On

Back