• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Soldier Operational Clothing and Equipment Modernization

I mean the Yanks have the 10th Mountain Division a couple hours drive from Ottawa in Fort Drum. Lots of mountains in upper New York state lol.
hat foil GIF

Pity we don't have a regiment called light infantry with a battalion of light infantry located right beside the Rockies, where we could establish a CoE...

I mean the Yanks have the 10th Mountain Division a couple hours drive from Ottawa in Fort Drum. Lots of mountains in upper New York state lol.
hat foil GIF
IMG_0973.jpeg
Actually…

The ARNG has a Mountain School in Vermont. The hills are a decent choice for a basic school, and there are some technical challenges in areas too.

That said there is a reason that USASOC has a mountain school in Colorado, and Utah and Alaska are used as well.

Pity we don't have a regiment called light infantry with a battalion of light infantry located right beside the Rockies, where we could establish a CoE...

And it would be great to have some helicopters there too, right?

Oh wait, what's this...

Would there be any benefit to reshuffling the jump billets into light/parachute battalions, perhaps with further battalion- or company-level specialization?

Mass the specialties that boil down to Person with Ruck in sufficient numbers to allow CoE development.

Would there be any benefit to reshuffling the jump billets into light/parachute battalions, perhaps with further battalion- or company-level specialization?

Mass the specialties that boil down to Person with Ruck in sufficient numbers to allow CoE development.
Honestly all three LIB’s should be Para BN’s. (Got to say Para least anyone think one is doing a CAR again).

Personally I’d opt for Coy level specialization; Mountain & Arctic basic for everyone then AMO/AC for a Mountain Coy/Bn
Urban/Subterranean Coy/Bn
Then one BN gets a Desert for Coy, Jungle for another, and Amphibious Ops for another.

Then cascade that down across the PRes units that support the Reg units.

But that is another kettle of fish in and of itself.

I'd also like to point out that are certain times I did wear issue gear.
IMG_3792.jpeg

IMG_3799.jpeg

IMG_3795.jpeg

IMG_3793.jpeg

and greatly appreciate the advances in materials and designs that have come since that...

SR-25043_zps47860284.jpeg

what logistik made there looks surprisingly good.

It does look slick. This stuff can look great but then fall apart when it's used- especially when the final product is produced to different standards than even the trial stuff. We don't have a good history with quality control.

It does look slick. This stuff can look great but then fall apart when it's used- especially when the final product is produced to different standards than even the trial stuff. We don't have a good history with quality control.
I'm choosing to be cautiously optimistic haha.

Honestly out load bearing equipment, for all its flaws, is extremely robust. Even the ISSP vest, while a piece of crap, is bordering on over built.

The whole falling apart boots fiasco was an issue with the companies that won the competition, already the lowest bidders, being unable to produce at scale and maintain quality control.

Honestly all three LIB’s should be Para BN’s. (Got to say Para least anyone think one is doing a CAR again).

Personally I’d opt for Coy level specialization; Mountain & Arctic basic for everyone then AMO/AC for a Mountain Coy/Bn
Urban/Subterranean Coy/Bn
Then one BN gets a Desert for Coy, Jungle for another, and Amphibious Ops for another.

Then cascade that down across the PRes units that support the Reg units.

But that is another kettle of fish in and of itself.

Do the battalions have to be Para Bns? Why not just jump qualify all members? Maybe it is a distinction without a difference but given the frequency with which parachute forces are deployed by chute, and the size of the actual forces involved (companies rather than divisions) do we need to take the focus of the LIBs away from their ability to deploy by any means, including in armoured vehicles, and fight on their feet?

And if a Light Infantry Battalion (Parachute) can be reinforced by an Artillery Battery and an Engineer Troop (or Squadron), why can't it be reinforced by a Light Cavalry Squadron and an Armoured Transport Squadron/Company when the occasion demands or permits?

Edit - wrong thread, again. Everything is connected to everything.

Do the battalions have to be Para Bns? Why not just jump qualify all members? Maybe it is a distinction without a difference but given the frequency with which parachute forces are deployed by chute, and the size of the actual forces involved (companies rather than divisions) do we need to take the focus of the LIBs away from their ability to deploy by any means, including in armoured vehicles, and fight on their feet?
You are advocating to focus on the easy and ignore the hard parts until it is too late. A battalion that jumps into a fight will have a substantially different sustainment train than a battalion that marched in, and both will be different than one that came in over the beach or the one that stepped off helicopters. Inside the rifle platoon, it might all look the same. But at the battalion HQ, there are tangible differences for which knowledge and experience is needed.

A parachute is just another means to deliver troops onto an objective. In my mind well trained light infantry would be trained to jump out of perfectly serviceable aircraft mid flight.

Not Long ago they talked about having the Rocky Mountain Rangers and the Calgary Highlanders specialize in Mountain warfare, even talk to have the KOCR have a horse back troop for Mountain ops. Somewhere that died.

Not Long ago they talked about having the Rocky Mountain Rangers and the Calgary Highlanders specialize in Mountain warfare, even talk to have the KOCR have a horse back troop for Mountain ops. Somewhere that died.
It was a nice idea.

A parachute is just another means to deliver troops onto an objective. In my mind well trained light infantry would be trained to jump out of perfectly serviceable aircraft mid flight.

Until it comes to needing have riggers, JM, and PI spots, plus the facilities to continue training them. Nice idea, ignores practical realities. And has little to do with SOCEM.

Oh good some reserve structure comments. Anyone care to bring up hair cuts?

Back