• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Soldier Operational Clothing and Equipment Modernization

The ‘82 pattern webbing was inexcusable as it was just a different take on the ‘64.
The grommet/hook attachment method was brain dead as fuck. As the plastic hooks constantly sheared - and grommets ripped out making the belt N/S. Plus the tab method of closure - sure the nylon tabs where robust enough (albiet small and awkward) but the plastic loop again cracked and made the pouch N/S

The coat hanger frame ruck was another travesty from the ‘82 pattern project.
I preferred my 82 Pattern over the tac vests. Even with the grommet/hook issues. Zip ties can fix a lot.

I preferred my 82 Pattern over the tac vests. Even with the grommet/hook issues. Zip ties can fix a lot.
If they’d just made 82 pattern covered in Molle we’d be in a much better place. Mind you the issue with 82 was that for some reason we decided that regardless of how it was supposed to be used, the but pack would be attached at all times.

Honestly by the time the TV showed itself the DHTC Patrol Vest and Chest Rigs could have been issued to everyone… For less money as well.

It was a nice idea.
Get us pack howitzers again, and you are good to go. Seriously we are way to symmetrical of a force. Our kit needs to reflect the diversity of our missions as well. Tac vests need to be customized to the user. Have a generic load out for BMQ but then leave it upto individual units and trades to decide their own lay out. A vehicle tech doesn't need the same vest layout as a Grenedier

Back to my rant about gear...

It is a bit of a pet peeve of mine, as when I first joined, I was issued the 1951 pattern webbing (lucky me), as the '64 pattern was fucking terrible (curious if they dug the guy who did that up so he could fuckup the Tac Vest), and there wasn't enough '82 pattern to go around (which was also terrible executed with the velcro and the plastic hooks).

One example of better than plain Jane Cordura Nylon is BlueForce Gear's Ultra Comp - they license it to a lot of other gear companies FWIW.

It only took the British about 20 years to get this stuff right. And I think they still use both chest rigs and web gear for different applications

Back