• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Soldiers lauded at Flames game

schart28

Inactive
Reaction score
http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/story.html?id=ec95f746-49bf-451a-ad66-7614873a750a&k=66710

Jamie Komarnicki, Calgary Herald
Published: Saturday, December 22, 2007
A month before 150 reservists leave for a tour in Afghanistan, Canada's military heroes received a standing ovation at the Pengrowth Saddledome Friday in a special Calgary Flames salute to the Canadian Forces.

Cpl. Duncan Campbell's combat fatigues stood out in the sea of red worn by Flames fans flooding the stands for Friday's game against the Dallas Stars.

His own Flames jersey will be safely stashed with his gear when the reservist with 33 Skilled Engineer Squadron heads to Afghanistan in January.

View Larger Image
Cpl. Duncan Campbell receives a signed jersey from Adrian Aucoin at a ceremony at the Saddledome on Friday honouring local troops who are headed to Afghanistan.
Ted Jacob, Calgary Herald

Font:****He'll bring it out in Afghanistan to cheer on the hometown team from afar, he said.

"Whenever I'm off and there's a game -- especially a playoff game -- I'll have my Flames jersey on, I'll be cheering for them," said Campbell, 21, a lifelong Flames fan who was part of a colour guard that took to the ice for the Flames' salute.

Before the game began Friday, the Flames made a special on-ice presentation to 20 soldiers in honour of all the Canadian Forces.

The Flames and Global Calgary donated 300 tickets in sections 311-317 in the Ultimate Fan Zone to local soldiers and their families for Friday's game.

Season-ticket holders donated about 60 more tickets. Among the air force, navy and army soldiers taking in the game were about 150 reservists from 41 Canadian Brigade Group, who will leave for Kandahar as part of a six-month tour of Afghanistan to augment the Canadian mission.

It's the second annual salute to the Canadian military at a Flames game, and it's even more poignant with the Calgary troops set to depart, said Ken King, Flames president and chief executive officer.

"As our military has become more prominent in our daily lives in terms of their activities and actions and through the news -- and it touches us more closely -- we just think it's a nice opportunity to give them tribute for their important work," said King.

"It's amazing to me that one day they're standing here on our ice surface and in a very short while they'll be standing in the desert fighting for freedom," King said.

After months of training, Cpl. Stefan Bakken, 22, said he's eager to head overseas.

"I'm excited. I've been training since last April, I want to get to the actual job," he said.

With the support of family and friends staunchly behind him, Campbell said it's comforting to see the city honour the soldier's task he faces in Afghanistan.

"I'm really looking forward to going and being able to do my job as a soldier and to help the mission in Afghanistan," said Campbell.

jkomarnicki@theherald.canwest.com

I remember at a Leafs game last year 4 soldiers rappelled down from the roof rafters onto the ice and a few more came out from the dressing rooms (including Lt. Gen Leslie IIRC) to receive an award or commendation from the leafs and the NHL (something like that, not exactly sure what though). 

Anyways, when they were lined up and stood at attention and the announcer said their names, the crowd was cheering far more loudly and enthusiastically for them then whenever the players names would be announced, and even when they would score a goal.  One of those things that makes me proud to be  :cdn:

Good on the Flames for showing their support like this as well.

To the troops going over there, God bless and keep safe.

What the heck is a
33 Skilled Engineer Squadron
? Me thinks there is typo shouldn't that read 33 Field Engineer Squadron or 33 Engineer Squadron.

The NFLD Grinch said:
What the heck is a ? Me thinks there is typo shouldn't that read 33 Field Engineer Squadron or 33 Engineer Squadron.

Yeah... sure sounds like a typo..  ;D

I think its great that more companies are starting do things for the troops .  We as a nation need to stand behind our troops while they finish the dangerous work in Afghanistan and help rebuild that war torn nation . 

The Sens have their annual C.F. Appreciate Night in January. I'm hoping I can score a ticket again this year. Last year was good fun.

just gotta say that i was overwhelmed by the support from the Flames and the city of Calgary..... as a member who is deploying in the new year it means alot ...and thanks for the Jersey!!! ;D :salute: :cdn:

As Flames season ticket holder for the past four seasons, this game seemed a little different for me than it did in previous years, as now I am in process to be a MARS officer (NOAB in march I believe).  It makes me realize that I won't be able to take for granted the fun and atmosphere of the Saddledome as I embark on a totally new path for my life.  It also makes me happy that the Flames in turn recognize those who make this choice, and to recognize them so publicly and profoundly.

C/10 said:
just gotta say that i was overwhelmed by the support from the Flames and the city of Calgary..... as a member who is deploying in the new year it means alot ...and thanks for the Jersey!!! ;D :salute: :cdn:

MFRC already had the draw for the jerseys?

His own Flames jersey will be safely stashed with his gear when the reservist with 33 Skilled Engineer Squadron heads to Afghanistan in January.

The NFLD Grinch said:
What the heck is a ? Me thinks there is typo shouldn't that read 33 Field Engineer Squadron or 33 Engineer Squadron.

Hmm... these guys must really know their sh!t if their unit is a Skilled field squadron VS an unskilled squadron!

Glad we're sending over the good guys :)  :warstory:  :)

geo said:
Hmm... these guys must really know their sh!t if their unit is a Skilled field squadron VS an unskilled squadron!

Glad we're sending over the good guys :)  :warstory:  :)

Yeah I know 2 guys in that article and yeah they got their stuff wired tight.

Nice to see the NHL teams acknowledge the Troops, good on the flames (even though I am not a fan ;) )

Good to hear it.

The Owen Sound Attack an OHL team every week give tickets to LFCA TC Meaford for free.  Usually it's about 50-60, but about once a month they give the base about 150-200.  It's a great thing that the local community supports the CF in such a way.  Always gives me a warm fuzzy.

FIWI we've come a long way from the days when it was not PC to be seen in town in any kind of uniform.

The embarassment of having been ordered NOT to travel to & from the unit in civies is a long time ago - dead & buried

I was reading on the Globe that the Leafs were planning on doing the same on Feb 2 v. the Sens.  Anyone know if it's actually happening?

At present, that's the thing that is being done everywhere & I would be VERY surprised if the Leafs did not do it.
The usual time to do it is just prior to deployment overseas though / embarcation leave.  Since PPCLI are the next to go over, it might be a tad early for such an event to happen in Central area.... where the troops (Petawawa) are closer to Ottawa than they are to Toronto (and someone has to pick up the Tn & Rats tab for the troops to "show")

The Sens are having their Forces Appreciation Night on Jan 17th.

The Leafs are doing their appreciation night on 2 Feb.  I have been trying to get tickets to the game for a while.  Only game that is available while I'm home.

Wonder which troops the Leafs will be offering their tickets to.
Petawawa seems a bit far for the troops to travel
The gang from Borden & Meaford? 

Back