• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Some of the bought & paid for media

Pretty much exactly what I said would happen when this whole shameful thing was proposed by the Liberals.

If you take money from the government, people will be expecting you to be kindly disposed to the government…
Like the WINNIPEGFREEPRESS took government $. I cancelled after a few months.

The Winnipeg Sun has been purchased by a local former MLA /city councillor - it has a notably right side lean but it won't take GoC $$$$

Colour me not remotely shocked in the slightest...

The phenomenon that actually does surprise me is just how many people still believe what the media tells them at face value, despite repeated and clear examples of that same media manipulating or outright lying about things in order to push an agenda.

And government money does buy loyalty. Just look at how favorable the various media outlets were to the Liberal government over the last few years...

The phenomenon that actually does surprise me is just how many people still believe what the media tells them at face value, despite repeated and clear examples of that same media manipulating or outright lying about things in order to push an agenda.

And government money does buy loyalty. Just look at how favorable the various media outlets were to the Liberal government over the last few years...
One can argue that the Toronto Star (owned by Postmedia, traditionally right-leaning) and CBC are friendly to the LPC. NaPo and the Sun series (both owned by Postmedia) are not.

CTV and Global aren’t particularly left or right.

So I wouldn’t 100% agree that the media is LPC-friendly.

One can argue that the Toronto Star (owned by Postmedia, traditionally right-leaning) and CBC are friendly to the LPC. NaPo and the Sun series (both owned by Postmedia) are not.

Again, fair point that I find myself also agreeing with you on.

I meant more in general terms, the Liberal government seemed to get some pretty favorable coverage across the board for a few years there. (This is just my own observations & interpretations)

The negative stories didn't seem to sting as hard as they could have & should have (again, just my own opinion)

And I do believe the media's coverage of the Liberal government was influenced, at least somewhat, by the fairly large sums of money the government was supplementing them with. (Don't bite the hand that's feeding you millions of dollars, after all...)

Lately it seems that media organizations across the board seem to be holding the government more accountable, not accepting non-answers quite so often, and seem to stay on track with their questioning rather than accept a deflection.

(Granted, for my own mental health I took a fair step back & stopped following the news as closely as I once had - so I may very well be totally off base here...)

In the 2015-18 period, the Liberals were saying alot of the same stuff then as now. Things that are being critically torn apart by the media today, was reported either without much analysis or even enthusiastically (CBC, I am looking you). Cabinet Ministers would get interviewed and they would get noticeably easy treatment compared to CPC Cabinet Ministers only a few years earlier.

Alot of it is human nature- the media is trying to attract viewers. If a Government is popular, how critical of it are you going to be, if you think much of your audience likes them?

“Repeat a lie often enough and it becomes the truth." J. Goebbels

How liars create the ‘illusion of truth’​

One obstacle is what you already know. Even if a lie sounds plausible, why would you set what you know aside just because you heard the lie repeatedly?

Recently, a team led by Lisa Fazio of Vanderbilt University set out to test how the illusion of truth effect interacts with our prior knowledge. Would it affect our existing knowledge? They used paired true and un-true statements, but also split their items according to how likely participants were to know the truth (so "The Pacific Ocean is the largest ocean on Earth" is an example of a "known" items, which also happens to be true, and "The Atlantic Ocean is the largest ocean on Earth" is an un-true item, for which people are likely to know the actual truth).

Their results show that the illusion of truth effect worked just as strongly for known as for unknown items, suggesting that prior knowledge won’t prevent repetition from swaying our judgements of plausibility.

Back