• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Some of the bought & paid for media

I can't be sure what kind of broadcast information people like to consume. My preference is the kind of thing I once saw on a relative's subscription service: one guy, reading teleprompted/written copy about the critical points of the major issues of the day, recycling approximately every half-hour. No inane babble between two or more presenters physically present making stupid jokes or chatting about their pets; no pointless human interest angle based on an interview of one of undoubtedly thousands of possible sob-stories consuming 90% of the segment time. "Talkies" are information-sparse to begin with.

And that is why most radio stations manage to give you a 5 minutes news bulletin on the hour that covers just about all you need to know is happening in the world: Just facts written down in advance to be pithy, read by a single announcer.

Then you can go back to what matters ... music, horoscope and which cream to use for nighttime healthy skin.

And that is why most radio stations manage to give you a 5 minutes news bulletin on the hour that covers just about all you need to know is happening in the world: Just facts written down in advance to be pithy, read by a single announcer.

Then you can go back to what matters ... music, horoscope and which cream to use for nighttime healthy skin.
Short newscasts cater to the attention span of the average consumer for some time now.

I recall media training we received some time ago which basically said: "Figure out what your message is; reduce it to an eight second 'sound bite;' repeat that sound bite throughout the interview so that its the only one they have available to present."

Eight seconds.

🍻

Except that the type of radio news I am talking about has no "sound bites". The announcer is the only speaker - they don't give you any interview with any of the politician/actor in the news - and he/she reads form a facts filled document so you don't get anyone's "canned message". You do get a lot of factual info however and no commentary, or attempts at explaining it to you, or editorializing.

To me, that is great newscasting.

Except that the type of radio news I am talking about has no "sound bites". The announcer is the only speaker - they don't give you any interview with any of the politician/actor in the news - and he/she reads form a facts filled document so you don't get anyone's "canned message". You do get a lot of factual info however and no commentary, or attempts at explaining it to you, or editorializing.

So basically who, what, where and when, and maybe some why. Cause why has a long tail...... ;)

Don't you get the announcer's canned message?

A good newscaster will not offer their own opinion. Basically its "a dead person was found last night in (where ever) and it is being treated as a homicide by police"

No opinion needed here.

But the newscaster is reading from a script prepared by somebody. It could be themselves or somebody else.

Somebody is deciding what is to be read and what is to be ignored. That choosing tells a story.

If the reports of dead people in one neighbourhood are reported on air while reports of dead people in another neighbourhood are ignored people's actions will be influenced even though no lies have been told.

In this you are correct - whoever decides what the news is can be swayed by their political and personal leanings.
The first major book printed by metal reusable type was a bible which is about as extreme as personal leanings get. I doubt if there has ever been a totally unbiased press (and I use that term in a non pejorative way). Just look at broadsheets and pamphlets from the 16 - 1800s. The degree of bias rises and falls over time. The sixties (or as I think of it as the Cronkite era) was fairly even handed but the latter Vietnam era reportage started a trend of counterculture messaging.

As always its up to the media customer to be discriminating. There's a common-sense reality check that needs to be used. Unfortunately far too many abandon common sense in favour of confirmation bias.

The proliferation in social media has compounded the situation in a way that was unheard of a few short decades ago. There were tens of thousands of people then with really stupid ideas but fortunately their ability to disseminate their ramblings was limited to very small mailing lists. Even then though, the KKK was able to resurge in the 1920s with an "anti-Negro, anti-Alien, anti-Red, anti-Catholic, anti-Jew, anti-Darwin, anti-Modern, anti-Liberal, anti-immigrant, fundamentalist," message to grow to 8 million members out of a population of roughly 115 million.

Now any moron with an axe to grind can not only reach millions on the internet, but can generate serious financing through a GoFundMe site.

It's never gonna get better. It will only get worse from here.

Yep.

🍻

Last edited:
The advertising model is only one problem. The subscription model is another problem. They can be taken together as a single problem - re-balancing the proportion of revenue from each.

What's killing the journalism business is that so many journalists insist people should read the stories journalists want to write. That's the equivalent of vanity publishing at worst, or authoring the kinds of books that are destined for the 10-cent bin by the door at best. There isn't really room to break in with another echo-chamber agency; people who want that only have to subscribe to a couple of the existing major agencies to get their fill of daily blinkered self-reassurance. That leaves only non-echo-chamber journalism, and that means setting aside the preferences - especially the political and social preferences - of journalists.

There also isn't much carrying capacity for a fat layer of middlemen and administration.

The people working as independents (ie. without a lot of overhead) who also tend to write stories that set the teeth of the political establishment grinding (along with the teeth of people who for some reason are deeply invested in that establishment no matter how it behaves) are doing well enough.

I can't be sure what kind of broadcast information people like to consume. My preference is the kind of thing I once saw on a relative's subscription service: one guy, reading teleprompted/written copy about the critical points of the major issues of the day, recycling approximately every half-hour. No inane babble between two or more presenters physically present making stupid jokes or chatting about their pets; no pointless human interest angle based on an interview of one of undoubtedly thousands of possible sob-stories consuming 90% of the segment time. "Talkies" are information-sparse to begin with.

The sooner that the channels that waste time with chit-chat between the trained monkeys fail, the better. The sooner the agencies that don't focus on the bones of the major issues of the day fail, the better (CBC news include). All the resources they have tied up will be freed for other uses.
That's what journalism has become when it is mostly owned by large corporate interests who have their own agenda to sell and/or only care about the bottom line and its shareholders.

We've come full circle. Newspapers (back when print was the only version) of the 19th and early 20th century, and probably before, were blatantly partisan. The term 'muckraking' has its origin in journalism. The more recent generations enjoyed a somewhat more professional (for want of a better term) industry. Like or not what it has become, but the Toronto Star was founded on the Atkinson Principles used to guide its editorial standards.

I don't know enough history to know whether higher standards or greater competition resulted in better quality journalism, but deeper pockets did allow for more dedicated and knowledgeable reporting in areas such as politics, crime, 'city hall, sports, etc. Note that I am referring to reporting, not opinion or analysis, although quality, knowledgeable reporting did, to a degree, provide a level of analysis, as the reporter understood the process and players and was in a position to provide a better explanation rather than just burping out words. Loss of revenue has led to massive thinning in newsrooms and chasing of increasingly meagre advertising by trying to draw eyes via any means possible.

Analysis and opinion are not without value, and a good professional can still know which hat they have on and do either decent justice. I, for one, still enjoy a well-form panel debate offering different views on a given topic. I get to agree with any one, or none, of them.

But the newscaster is reading from a script prepared by somebody. It could be themselves or somebody else.

Somebody is deciding what is to be read and what is to be ignored. That choosing tells a story.

If the reports of dead people in one neighbourhood are reported on air while reports of dead people in another neighbourhood are ignored people's actions will be influenced even though no lies have been told.
The information consumer is always going to have to be subject to some manner of filter unless you want to spend your life pursuing first-hand information. Every the Town Crier would have been a filter.

The easiest way to assess content is to look for argumentation-by-adjective and assumed premises. If it happens a lot and you suppose it would grate on someone who doesn't agree with the author, you're probably reading/hearing junk - unless you're reading a good polemicist who you know has a first-rate mind, but Christopher Hitchens is dead and there aren't many like him at any given time.

It also depends where i.e. the news dept of the source of the broadcast gets their feed. CP for example is often a source. Thats why a dozen or so newspapers have the same headline.
CP to me is slanted.

... CP to me is slanted.
I haven't done any content analysis post-2010 (when G&M, a branch of Power Corporation and TorStar became the owners - I'll let others read between the lines re: the new ownership & the optics of what it might mean for an approach), but before that, it was a co-op where members could both use and provide stories for other members of the co-op to use. That means papers of all bents could provide stories to share, making it generally pretty middle of the road. I myself, in a previous life, shared stories with the broadcast arm of CP.

Another thing to remember with CP is it appears there's a sharing agreement between it and the U.S. based Associated Press - I've seen AP stories on American media outlets word for word credited to CP on Canadian outlets. AP is seen a leftish by some (source) ...
Screenshot 2024-02-05 105913.jpg
... so caveat lector.

Meanwhile, a bit of research from south of the border to offer a data point ....
Highlights mine ...
Screenshot 2024-02-05 104859.jpg

See every side of every news story.
Read the news from multiple perspectives. See through media bias with reliable news from local and international sources

This site shows the directional bias of each news source and shows articles on the same subject, from various perspectives. You can decide which one aligns with your beliefs. It gives a breakdown of various newsites and where they lay politically.

Now any moron with an axe to grind can not only reach millions on the internet, but can generate serious financing through a GoFundMe site.

It's never gonna get better. It will only get worse from here.

Yep.

🍻

Not so long ago they were limited to a lawn sign for a couple of weeks during an election.

Short newscasts cater to the attention span of the average consumer for some time now.

I recall media training we received some time ago which basically said: "Figure out what your message is; reduce it to an eight second 'sound bite;' repeat that sound bite throughout the interview so that its the only one they have available to present."

Eight seconds.

🍻
I too, recall media training I received just as GW1 was spooling up and the Maritime Command was mounting Harpoons on the CPFs. The teachable moment was to have a sound bite with a "hook", something that would make it stick out. The example given was a reporter asking a sailor how accurate the Harpoon was. His answer was "These are so accurate and so smart, if you fire one, it'll find Elvis for you.". 5 seconds, with a hook everyone of that era would get.

Not so long ago they were limited to a lawn sign for a couple of weeks during an election.

If you think that then you weren't paying attention. There have always been alternate viewpoints available. It is just easier to find them today.

A click of the button and I can get local headlines in Hong Kong, Beijing, New Delhi, Washington and London and everywhere in between.

When I grew up in Peterborough there was Lord Thomson of Fleet's Examiner and some people bought the Toronto Star on the weekends for the comics.

Other means of communication were the churches and the service clubs (Key, Kiwanis, Rotarians, Lions etc)

Back