• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

T-Flash or Arty Sim...

Ive seen the old skool helmets vs. the arty sims....

and lemme tell you better toss this thing far away from people cause it took a nice sized chunk outta the helmet

A Nice way To simulate A 50. Cal is a Length of Detcord Tied into Several Reef Knots And just keep Branching off Knots as The ROF Dictates

But Back on topic.. Past summer in aldershot we Had a Girl Toss an Arty Sim underhand and Oddly Enough it Went Up instead of out :eek: :eek:

And Landed at The RSO‘s Feet :warstory:

WO Sharpe Was not Pleased

Flash bang is a nick name for a concussion grenade.
When it goes off there is a large flash and quite a concussion.Used in hostage situations to concuss and disorientate the foe.

Thunder flash‘s are a big fire cracker and can remove fingers,cause sever burns.Always throw away from Troops.

Arty Sims are made of cardboard not mettle as some one posted,the explosive charge is quite large and you could lose a hand,eyes,hearing etc.Always throw away a fare distance from Troops as rocks,sticks etc may become flying shrapnel from the explosion!!!!!!!

NEVER PICK UP DUDS!!!AS THEY CAN STILL GO OFF!!
NEVER TRY TO RE USE A DUD!!!
Both of the ABOVE ACTIONS ARE A CHARGEABLE OFFENCE!
ONLY QUALIFIED RANGE SAFETY OR EOD PERS. ARE ALLOWED TO DEAL WITH DUD PYRO!!

Originally posted by Spr. WIlliamson:
[qb] A Nice way To simulate A 50. Cal is a Length of Detcord Tied into Several Reef Knots And just keep Branching off Knots as The ROF Dictates

But Back on topic.. Past summer in aldershot we Had a Girl Toss an Arty Sim underhand and Oddly Enough it Went Up instead of out :eek: :eek:

And Landed at The RSO‘s Feet :warstory:

WO Sharpe Was not Pleased [/qb]
LOL I bet he lost a few pounds!!
How is Sharpie?
Known him for a few years.

Amen to That Spr. Earl

And WO Sharpe is good Last time I Seen him was As RSO on our QL3 Hes a Very Wise man He told me That C4 wasnt Marshmellow Fluff..

If only He was 5 Minutes Faster

And remember troops, don‘t be THAT guy that thinks it is funny to cook off a t-flash and then throw it at buddy‘s feet... There‘s still some 4 RCR chicken ****** that I want to find and have words with some day...

To add to what Sapper Earl said, NEVER EVER EVER PHUCK WITH UXOS or unknown pyro. BAD JUJU!!!

I‘m sure more than one person here heard about buddy who had his **** all phucked up when he accidentally booted an unexploded 40mm round while clearing ranges for Stalwart Guardian last summer... a guy from my Regiment was the inital first aider, and he said it was not in any way pretty or fun to help buddy.

To busy reading the site! :o
Back to the subject they look like and from what you have posted could be Marine Emergency Flares or Smoke Distress Signals.

DON‘T PICK THEM UP!!!

They could explode or ignite!

Is this place owned by DND?
If so inform the nearest EOD Unit and they will go out and deal with them.If not inform the Local Police and they will take it from there.

:warstory: My Cousin is a Queens Cowboy here in B.C. and he got posted to a local Island and we were just chatting what he finds on the beach and he found a flare thats dropped by the C.F. at night for search and rescuse so I told him the ins and outs about them.

:eek: It turned out they had over 20 of them in a shed out back of the Office so I told him to get a hold of Comox,the boys came down and took care of them.

Old flares are dangerous no matter how big they are!!

Originally posted by Marauder:
[qb]
To add to what Sapper Earl said, NEVER EVER EVER PHUCK WITH UXOS or unknown pyro. BAD JUJU!!!

I‘m sure more than one person here heard about buddy who had his **** all phucked up when he accidentally booted an unexploded 40mm round while clearing ranges for Stalwart Guardian last summer... a guy from my Regiment was the inital first aider, and he said it was not in any way pretty or fun to help buddy. [/qb]
Actually, it‘s a troop and a warrant who got hit hard. Third guy was lucky to not get any.

And just to get that into your heads;

NEVER, EVER, PICK UP UXOs.

If you see anything that looks suspicious on the ground, don‘t pick it up or kick it or what not. Tell your section commander or 2i/c about it and ensure that all your section buddies know about it. (that‘s why there is a hand signal for pointing things out)

Thank‘s Maurauder,Fusilier. :salute:
If you see other posts like this please,please!!
Inform them of the DANGERS!! of UXO‘S,DuD PYRO ETC.!!
Also that they can go to goal for picking up UXO‘S,altering Ammo,Pyro etc from it‘s intended use!!

Yes I‘m trained and in my training have ssen the film‘s and they are not PRETTY of a what is supposed to be a human body.

Yes there has been many unnecessary injuries and deaths do to handling UXO of HE HEAT ordnance and sim natures.

Recently at Singleton, some Diggers found a 66mm HEAT rocket from an M72A6. It rsted on the dash of the Land Rover, and they made it as far as Rge Con, when the driver got out and slammed the door, the rocket blew up, with 2 or 3 blokes in the 110. Lucky no one was killed, but there were some serious injuries.

I too remember when a WO ( who shall remain nameless) RCA type, after working to clear the range found a 84mm HEAT UXO, and chucked into the back of the old 1974 Ptrn jeeps, and made it back to the shacks. For over a week, he used that UXO as a door stop, till someone finally noticed it was not blue, but was black with a bit of red writing on it.... That was one red faced WO!

Another time in regina in about 1962, the RRR had a recruitng display set up in the local fairgrounds.

They did a demo on the old m20A1 3.5in rocket launcher.

Little did they know the rocket indeed was blue, but the engine was OD. Infact they had loadwed a TPT, and it was live. The launcher fired, One Asian bloke who was looking down the muzzle was killed instantly, and others in the BBDA were injured.

The rocket went thru two walls, then penetrated another bldg, and wedged itself in a fridge.

How a TPT or ‘sand bomb‘ as they were know ever got mixed up with dummy ammo, I dont know, but I assure you there would have been a big investigation even by 1960s standards.

I too remember too when back sometime in the mid 70s, during a grenade lecture a group of RCACC cadets were killed when a supposedly dummy grenade went off during a lesson indoors.

Wierd as it seems the person holding the frag, lost his arm, and other in the circle were killed, but most survived.

I do not know what type of grenade it was, but back at my militia unit in the mid 70‘s there was heaps of N0.36 ‘mills bombs‘ in abundance, painted as dummy.

Goes to show you that complaicantcy kills.

Cheers,

Wes

I remember the pyro demo on basic.. out in Farnham.... very cool demo.. and our Sgt (An arty man) loved using the arty sims....

we had the same "wakeup" call for the bugout of the biv at 3am with arty sims (outside of the biv) and tflashes all over the woods... I doubt it wouldve thrown someone.. maybe out of startlement though.

Can't tell clearly but they almost look like early 70's trip flares, the description helps some but still clear as mud.

The episode in 1970 was with DP grenades in Minto Armoury When some nameless Cpl's stuffed the primer wells with toy pistol caps.  Noise & smoke were like real fuses.  The injuries were caused from people going over the rail onto the Parade Square.  If you know Minto that is not a small feat.  In fact if I remember right it was the pilot SSEP program.  I was an instructor there at the time.

No. They're totally different. Flashbangs are used to stun the enemy before clearing a room or whatever. A T-flash is used as a replacement for grenades on blank fire exercises. They do not have a bright flash or anything. They're not even very loud.

CH1,

If you're refering to the Grenade incident that Wes is talking about in the 70's they're not the same thing.  His version is accurate, it involved cadets, fatalities and a misidentified/unverified fragementation grenade.  Thats why there are annual inspections of all dummy and display ammunition.

As far as flashbangs go, flashbangs are to arty sims as arty sims are to T-flashes, only sometimes serveral times over.  I have seen a member in the prone position get picked up and tossed a couple of feet by an arty sim, it landed right next to him and I think the only reason he wasn't more seriously injured was he rolled on his side to see why his section commander was yelling at him to move and his C2 mag bandoleer took the blast, so yeah, an arty sim can move someone.

Just remember, on the range blue doesn't always mean inert, it means practice.  There are practice rounds out there with substantial HE charges in them for spotting.  Enough HE to rip apart 1/2" steel bodies so its more than enough to ruin your day.

Edit: Corrected what Aesop picked up

AmmoTech90 said:
..........Just remember, on the range blue always mean inert, it means practice.  

I realy hope you mean "before it is actualy fired" because i'm sure you know that stuff thats been in the ground for a while isn't always safe because its blue !

You know I'm actually curious, on the topic of T-Flashes, did anyone ever "dive" on one, either out of stupidity, reckless heroism, or other reasons? 

And when I said did anyone ever dive on one, I didn't mean anyone here (hopefully).  Meaning if anyone ever heard of it happening.  Morbid curiosity, and no I'm not going to try it myself and tell you all what happened.

That would be outright stupidity.  You could kick a T flash far enough to make it relatively harmless.  Blowing a hole in yourself on purpose would be the epitome of shitheadery.

Jinxed said:
You know I'm actually curious, on the topic of T-Flashes, did anyone ever "dive" on one, either out of stupidity, reckless heroism, or other reasons? 

Let's hope not.  Thundeflashes have a small powder charge in them which is most safely left to explode in an open area.  They are more dangerous in confined spaces firstly because of the overpressure the blast will cause, and the small burning fragments of cardboard and other materials holding the charge inside the tube that will be released.  In a very confined space, like between the ground and a body, it would have enough power to cause damage to clothes and probably body, enough to ruin your day and likely require medical treatment.  These training devices are NOT toys, and are NOT to be handled casually or tossed about without due concern for the safety of others in the area.

Back