• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Tactical combat casualty care ( TCCC )

True enough .. most are excellent.  Most of the scary stuff I see at small remote clinics and certain small town hospitals.
I should also emphasis it's not common.

RN PRN said:
Not on my shift and not if you value your license.

Usually we will get the person of the back board ASAP once they are in the ED. Before we log roll them to assess the back we will do a full neurological exam including CSM. Once the patient is rolled and the spine is examined and palpated along with assessing rectal tone will we do away with the board. The collar will remain in place and the patient supine until the X-Ray / CT clears the spine. Then and only then will the collar be removed.
In '93, I was in an accident in Dundurn where I suffered a head injury.  I was a driver instructor on a FMC Dvr Wh crse when we went around a blind corner and right there was a MLVW bearing down on us.  We were in an iltis.  We had no time to get out of the way but we could get the front end off the dirt trail and up onto the field.  I leaned between the front seats and yelled hard right at the driver and he did just that.  The ML hit us in the left quarter panel and through us back before it hitting us again this time in the drivers compartment slamming the light switch into the drivers leg and pushing the seat into my face breaking my cheek bone and depositing it into my jaw.  I was placed in the ambulance on a spine board and sent into Saskatoon's Royal University Hospital.  I was in there for 4 hrs before they could get the portable x-ray machine down there to check out my neck and head.  I required plastic surgery and it was successful (I am still my homely self).  My head was soar for two days as I was stuck on that spine board for 4 hrs.

Radop said:
I leaned between the front seats and yelled hard right at the driver and he did just that. 

Getting a bit off topic here, but you were driver instructing from the back seat ??

How was the ride in, did you get the crestliner (civy base amb) or an SMP amb ride?
I always prefered using the crestliner myself, the traffic moves pretty quick on that highway.

old medic said:
Getting a bit off topic here, but you were driver instructing from the back seat ??
Yes, we were doing a map and compus road rally type thing.  The instructors were told to sit in the rear passenger seat and let the co-drivers give directions to the rally point.

old medic said:
How was the ride in, did you get the crestliner (civy base amb) or an SMP amb ride?
I always prefered using the crestliner myself, the traffic moves pretty quick on that highway.
I guess it was the crestliner in to Saskatoon and the SMP veh into camp.  (I feel sorry for the two medics as I was a bossy infantree MCpl back then and wouldn't let them look at me until they had treated and taken care of the two drivers.  The doctor gave them sh** when we got into camp as I had obvious head injury and was just riding with the injured driver -just required stiches to his leg)

MedCorps said:
Unfortunately at this time there is not standardized course.   I have seen presented in two ways.  

The first way is for medical personnel as part of a larger course that deals with Combat Casualty Care in general (just not tactical combat casualty care).   When I first took it, I did it this way as part of the Combat Casualty Care Course run by the Defense Medical Readiness Training Institute in Fort Sam Houston.   I have also seen it run by the UK RAMC as part of the Battlefield Advanced Trauma Life Support Course.   We have run it in Canada as part of larger OP ATHENA medical pers work-up training for ROTO 0 and ROTO 0A (Medical Augmentation).   We also ran it as part of a clinical training week called "Combat Medicine 2004".    

The second way is for the warfighter, whom it really is intended for.   It was run as a 1 or 2 day course.   If I had to put PO's to it... it would look like this.  

PO 001   -   The Casualty Treatment and Evacuation Process   (CUF vs TFC vs CCEC)
PO 002   -   How Casualties Die (the big 3 and Tri-model death distribution)
PO 003 -    Care Under Fire
PO 004   - Airway Problems and Management   (with Lab [open airway, bulb suction, NPA, OPA])
P0 005 -    Tension and Open Pnumothorax and Management (with Lab [needle decompression and Chest    
                    sealing techniques x2])
PO 006   - Stop Bleeding and Treat Shock (with lab [shell dressing and one handed tourniquet, and improv.
                  tourniquet])
PO 007   - Triage
PO 008   - Morphine Autoinjectors (if issued)
PO 010   - Scenario Based Training (Exercise)

Here is more information:    
http://www.google.ca/search?q=cache:X5nV_O9BVUAJ:www.nomi.med.navy.mil/Text/Tactical%2520Combat%2520Casualty%2520Care%2520Guidelines.pdf+%22Tactical+Combat+Casualty+Care%22&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

I suspect sooner or later that it will be standardized for the CF in a course.   It is the waiting game, as mentioned in another thread.   It is good to hear that 1 CMBG ran a course.  

Cheers,

MC

Hey there,

Petawawa is running a 3 wk TCCC's course next month. It should be alot better than the 4 day one they taught before.

CHIMO!!!!! said:
Hey there,

Petawawa is running a 3 wk TCCC's course next month. It should be alot better than the 4 day one they taught before.

Say what?

Are you sure...cause those who would make that happen are all just back from Sri Lanka. And the all the previous course taught in Pet were 1 day (I should know I taught on all of them).

4-22 April.

And just so you know, the last flight from the DART returns this weekend.

more info pls...whose running it, where, etc. Because usually the course it tied to a deployment, and it would be interesting to see whos running it.

Ash,

The Brigade or Base Surgeon is the Opi. It is for Roto 4 pers. Steve O, told me that the call came out for instructors this week. I think there are 20 spots throughout the Bde for the course.

Say Hi to Perry would you? And Big E!

this stuff is exactly why CFMSG must quickly come up with a standard package in both official languages.

We have LFWA operating in one quasi standard while LFCA, LFQA, and LFAA are all about to or are already designing adn executing their own package. Each are calling it the TCCC.

We have to prepare our troops going overseas so that they are ready to aid their comrads in a conflict situation but we also have to have one standard for all forces not what the individual commands want or can afford at the time.

GF

We have to prepare our troops going overseas so that they are ready to aid their comrads in a conflict situation but we also have to have one standard for all forces not what the individual commands want or can afford at the time

GF

Add to that one standard one training establishment.

MM

Anybody have more current information on this course?  Any idea who might have a MTP, MLPs or a contact name for the TCCC course? 

I developed a step by step protocol for care under fire and tactical cas care for my team here in Afghanistan. I used Cpl Kopps Lesson learned pub, and all the other pubs since 96 to make a step by step sequence of events to asssist the Cbt arms members of the team to have a standardised  approach to conduct a cbt cas assessment. And steps and protocols to follow for the three skills they learn: NPA insertion, Chest needle decompression, and tourniquet application. I'll put the outline on here as a new thread once I get it completed on an electronic version.

Here is a doc from the US DoD on TCCC and an assessment that I have modified slightly from the 10th Mountain Div.

Has anyone herd about the CF progress on this?

GF

In another string in this topic, I have posted a draft copy of a tactical assessment for nonmedical pers. It will become the SOP for TFK once it gets the TF surgeons approval. It may also be adopted for the course as its assessment for all students.

Hopefully R4 gets the info as there is nothing worse than learning one thing and doing something a totally different way

The Brigade surg has been emailed a copy and I will also talk to him when I come home on leave, so hopefully they are doing that as well.

He liked it and told me he may use it.

The next roto ANTC det (ETT) will definately get it as it is part of our SOPs.

There is a TCCC Crse being ramped-up for the Strat Res BG right after its validation trg.   It sounds like about 200 pers will be getting pumped through it.

Hopefully it is squared away!

2 Fd Amb is running one right now. They took a 4 day course, made it 3 wks, added another week to it and let the students go home in the afternoons. Now the troops that are on this course will get screwed out of leave because instead of being on leave prior to the tour, they will have to do 1 - 2 weeks of MLOC trg to catch up with the rest of the Bn Gp.

Good Call!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm anxiously awaiting a formal TCCCC to be finalized... I've tried to get on a PHTLS the local medics were running but had a scheduling conflict. I'm involved with the CIMIC world and we frequently work out of camp, by ourselves (2-4 pers) in one soft-skin veh... something tells me just having the SFA crse leaves us lacking... maybe they'll include something in the roto 4 workup training starting in May...

Back