• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Tactical combat casualty care ( TCCC )

Generally, they run the course in theater, as CIMIC I think you will get it, the ones on this tour definately should have...

Mike_R23A said:
I'm anxiously awaiting a formal TCCCC to be finalized... I've tried to get on a PHTLS the local medics were running but had a scheduling conflict. I'm involved with the CIMIC world and we frequently work out of camp, by ourselves (2-4 pers) in one soft-skin veh... something tells me just having the SFA crse leaves us lacking... maybe they'll include something in the roto 4 workup training starting in May...

Some members of CIMIC have approached me to instruct them on a BTLS advanced course this summer before their deployment. I will inclued the TCCC PPT lecture as one of the add ons.

GF

Arrgh! If it's in Dundurn then I don't think it's our CIMIC crew from LFCA doing workup training for roto 4 that contacted you  ???

Since every one and their dog seem to be offering the course (RCR, PPCLI, etc battle groups) but as of yet we have no standard I am seriously considering adding my own spin on things.

My line of thinking is to put togeather a course for reservist combat arms and support trades but building into it a Delta for the conversion from a MLOC type standard to a DELOC standard.

Such things that I would add into the Delta would be needle chest decompression to name but one.

What do the rest of you think?

GF

I think a course for getting the concept out in your area would be good.

The national course should be out by next summer (what I hear) and we should have further direction as to its content then.

RN RPN,

What do you mean when you say that you may put together a TCCCC but put it in a "Delta"? I'm not familiar with that term.

It's nice to see that you think reservists should have access to a course like this. We appreciate it.

DT

A Training Delta is a term for change or upgrading of a skill set.

There is a Delta for all reservists who want to go on tour for example. This is what the pre-deployment training is all about.

What I am proposing is a TCCC with a delta portion that will be taught only when a member is going to deploy. These are the skills that would be hard to maintain in a reserve fd amb or possibly out of scope in peace time but would be beneficial in a theater of ops. A great example is needle chest decompression for tension pnumothorax.

To maintain that skill indefinitely would be very time an labour intensive over the long haul. Therefore we teach it before they deploy as part of the DELTA and then only maintain it over the six months that they are overseas.

I hope this answers your question.

GF

RN RPN,

Thanks, that does answer my question.  Just a tid bit of info for you to think about is that as a civy ACP I'm taught and certified to perform needle decompressions for hemo/pneumothorax.  However in my four years as an ACP I've only had the opportunity to exercise this skill once.  My co-workers also have only performed it once or twice each in their careers.  The skill itself is not all that hard to learn.  I will always suggest refresher training for any medical skill.  Maybe attached MCSP training?  The hardest part about the skill is to correctly assess a pneumo/hemothorax.  So I can see the reluctance to with hold such training until a reservist is on a Delta but I dont think that this is necessary.  It's a juicy bit of training that reservists would eat up. 

Just a thought.

Thanks again.

DT :salute:

RN RPN,

Just an add on to my last.  ACPs dont recert on any specific skill.  We recert each year on protocols and exams and they throw in the odd case study and scenerio station, but we dont specifically have to perform all our skills during a recert. 

(At least ay my Base Hosp)

DT

The big difference between you as an ACP and the reservist is that the TCCC is designed for non-medics.  The course will be taught to the Combat arms types who will not have the exposure to trauma that you or I have on a regular basis.

It is for this reason that the DELTA is so important.

GF

Sorry, I was under the assumption that TCCCC was for medics as well as for combat arms trades.  And you're right reservists dont see the same amount or type of trauma we see. But do you not think that a TCCCC for medics is a good idea?  I read the Despatches article about TCCCC and I learned a lot about operating in a hostile environment and how certain priorities change when you're actually engaged in combat. 

And speaking of TCCCC is there any plans for CFMG to start using hetastarch/hetaspan to fully implement TCCC?

The concept as I read it is for non-medics to have a basic interventional skill set to start the stabilization process before a medic arrives on scene.

Should the reserve medics learn the skills?...Absolutely.
IMHO it should be part of the PHTLS/BTLS re-certs.

The medics must know what can and has been done prior to their arrival as well as knowing how to react in the tactical environment. The difference is that the TCCC is designed as a secondary skill set where with medics it is primary.

All that said, it would be far better to train all the reserve medics to the TCCC level than have them stay at the AMFR2 level they are at now.

I don't know if it will become protocol but I Carry a bag in my jumpbag.

GF

I am amazed that this topic is still near the top.  It is great to see and I hope to someday take the course.

So in your opinion is TCCC more or less advanced than AMFR2 and PHTLS. Because if it is more advanced how can CFMG let medics take the back seat of medical training?

DT

TCCC is the last chapter of Military version PHTLS. The skills are in the advanced package just like the BTLS Advanced.

Is it more advanced than AMFR2? YES!

Is it more advanced then the basic training for reserve medics? YES!

Do I intend to orient my medics to the theory of TCCC? YES!

Do I intend to teach the PHTLS Advanced package to my medics? YES!

Is TCCC the standard for the reserves? NO!

Do I believe we should train our medics to the PHTLS Advanced standard AND allow them the scope to practice to that level? YES!

Vent Ends.

Makes you wonder why the infantry would yell "MEDIC!!!!!!!!!!!!" any more. Hell they'll be more trained in caring for the cas. than we will be.

But I suppose the casualty will need a ride to the UMS. We can do that.

Coy medic, get out of the mindset that TCCC is more or less advanced skill set. Its not...its just a different approach to giving care to the patient.

It involves both the shooters and the medics (regardless of the tactical situation) to know and understand certain protocols that will aid in the rapid treatment of life threatening injuries. In particular three life threatening injuries that cause preventable deaths on the field, extremity hemorrhaging, compromised airway, and tension pneumothorax.

It is not designed for non medical pers to become medics, nor gives them any ability to replace them. Its just a different level of training.

Army Medic,

The big frustratoin that Coy medic has is in the training that the reserves are getting now, not the mind set IMHO.
The reserves are trained to the AMFR2 level while simultaniously staiting that the TCCC level is maintainable at the regular force level.
I beleve this is flawed logic. If the regular force can maintain the TCCC set then the reserves can maintain a higher level then TCCC as a basic level.

To say no would indicate that it would take more than three days a month to maintain the skill set and I have not herd of a single combat arms unit that is willing to donate that time to any member whether they are in theater or not.

Back