• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Tacvest Mods

PhilB,

Nice creative work there!

Matt

PS, I got your emails and will respond in depth once I have a chance to catch my breath at work.

I've been planning on either doing one of two things;
one I was going to do several mods like that when build up training starts (don't think they'd let me jump a modified vest though), or replace it entirely with a modcan vest from DZ.
but anyways back on point; one thing that I was planning on doing (and was thinking of on the range today) was of a way to attach the old webbing belt on there so I can carry a couple more boxes for the c9. not sure how it would turn out with all the sagging and if it would make the TV bounce even more. I think it's going to be something that I'm going to have to drop off to the riggers at some point to see what they can do. I might just resort to just zap strapping them on there, but again not sure if it's secure enough for my liking.
but all and all, that seemed like some good stuff shown; hope a couple more of you people out there have some tricks to show!
Greg

Does anyone know of someone in the Toronto area who could sew the camel bak mod, and where to get the cadpad material. PhilB, do you have the pattern for this? or can you PM me the guys info who did it for you?

Thanks

Unfortunatly, to the best of my knowledge the guy who did it for me is currently PSD in Iraq right now. All I did was take in my camelbak and work through my idea with him. Finding CADPAT can be extremely difficult. I think your best bet is to wait out until one of the Canadian retailer picks this up and produces it. (working on it  ;))

thewanderer said:
Does anyone know of someone in the Toronto area who could sew the camel bak mod, and where to get the cadpad material. PhilB, do you have the pattern for this? or can you PM me the guys info who did it for you?

Army Outfitters 1695 Avenue Road 647-436-0876 has a variety of custom CADPAT items, including CamelBak covers. I intend to discuss this mod with Dave next time that I'm in, unless somebody beats me to it. A rigger friend of his makes this stuff.

Just to confirm, although it seems obvious enough, those CADPAT loops are the only thing holding the top of the CamelBak to the TV? They don't bunch up the shoulder pads or anything? The Velcro doesn't separate?

Is it worth putting hook Velcro on the side opposite the pile Velcro to grip the pile on the underside of the shoulder straps?

Nope the velcro loops at the top and all of the zap strapped d rings along the back. There is no problem with it sliding around because a) the zap straps hold it in place and b) the velcro loops are right at the back of the shoulder straps on the vest so the cant slide back.

I wouldn't add velcro because it will make noise when you move around and also it would be redudent in my opinion.

Yeoman said:
but anyways back on point; one thing that I was planning on doing (and was thinking of on the range today) was of a way to attach the old webbing belt on there so I can carry a couple more boxes for the c9. not sure how it would turn out with all the sagging and if it would make the TV bounce even more. I think it's going to be something that I'm going to have to drop off to the riggers at some point to see what they can do. I might just resort to just zap strapping them on there, but again not sure if it's secure enough for my liking.
but all and all, that seemed like some good stuff shown; hope a couple more of you people out there have some tricks to show!
Greg

There's also the option of buying some aftermarket kit, such as a MOLLE belt, and some SAW pouches. If you strap on something like the HSGI suspenders, it would be a rig on its own, and worn on the hips would allow it to be worn with the TV.

PhilB said:
Nope the velcro loops at the top and all of the zap strapped d rings along the back. There is no problem with it sliding around because a) the zap straps hold it in place and b) the velcro loops are right at the back of the shoulder straps on the vest so the cant slide back.

I wouldn't add velcro because it will make noise when you move around and also it would be redudent in my opinion.
Roger.

see lerch I thought about that. but why buy something that I already have though? I have all that kit already. why go spend a couple hundred bucks when I don't need too?
I'll be attempting this mod this weekend and seeing how it turns out when I just zap strap it on there and going from there I suppose.
Greg

Good luck. If zap-strapping it fails, try some suspenders on the belt...

Belt keepers are a good possibility too (just gotta make custom ones for the wider 82 pattern belt.)

One thing I did for a buttpack was take the 7L Small Pack pocket and attached it horizontally at the back bottom of the vest and ran the fanny pack belt through the gas mask loops on the left side and ran the other end of the belt through ALICE clips attached to the plastic D-rings on the right side. This allows you to have a buttpack and extra support on the hips to keep the vest from bouncing; also, for those who liked hiking up thier packs on the buttpack of the 82 webbing, you can do it with the small pack (minus valise on bottom) or 82 ruck with said mod.

Another good place to attach belt keepers is by running them through the extra ladder locs (where the canteen/C9 pockets go) on the bottom edge of the vest. Once threaded there, it won't be going anywhere.

As for a hydration carrier, there's one that I found cheesy at first but might actually be good (for those wanting to buy one.) The Spec Ops H.U.M.P. Hydration carrier in OD looks like it could fit the bill for those who don't care about CADPAT everything. Thye can be found at www.sealsactiongear.com. The H.U.M.P. also has horizontal webbing on it (compatible with our accessory pouches) allowing one to still attach a smallpack pocket to the back of one's vest.

As soon as I'm no longer broke, I might pick one of these and a CB Hotshot and see how they work compared to my separate CP/CB Franken-bak carrier and bladder.

Just my 2 cents  ;)

Why would you attach a fanny pack at the back of your tacvest?

I think that a lot of the problem with the tac vest is how people are using it. Troops are trying to use to the vest like webbing. Your vest should be for fighting, thats it. There is no requirement for carrying socks, foot powder, extra kit, etc. Ammo, water, pyro thats  basically it. Carry the rest in an assault pack and your good to go. Keep in mind that you want to train as you fight. Set a rig up to use in a vehicle as thats what you will be doing overseas. Having a lot of shit on your back does not work well in a vehicle. Also keep in mind that the daisy chain system of attaching pouches to the tac vest does not work. If you try and carry and amount of weight in the pouch or it snags on anything the fastex buckles will loosen off and the pouch will sag. I have looked at the SpecOps Hump when I was in theater and it does not fit a full camelbak with carrier. Like other hydration carrier it is designed to carry just a camelbak bladder.

Rain gear? Who the hell needs rain gear? A roll of plastic wrap works better ;)

I bet there are some troops in the Sand Box I mean Mud Pit  ;D wishing they had it on them in the past few days.

Phil, nice work on the mods.

I run a Cadpat TT hydration carrier that is attached with MALICE clips to the drag handle and the lower horizontal row of dasiy chain loops. It's not great but it works. I also have another TT hydration carrier on my ruck, these will hold a 3L Thermobak, HSGI also makes a bigger hydration carrier. On the front I have a ESSTAC pistol mage pouch with a Surefire attached where the bayonet goes. I moved my bayonet to the side. Ironically the only item that is MOLLE!!!! I have a couple different guys that can do custom gear, I just send them the CadPat. I have a CadPat version of a Blackhawk STRIKE LBV coming for testing, I am also looking at some John Willis Gear. ICE Tactical makes a couple side pouches for the TV as well.

CadPat material is not hard to find if you know where to look.

Phil is on the money about what gets in your rig.  Anything you pull out of a pouch on a tac vest or a chest rig MUST be for killing. No cam stick, foot powder, socks. Put all that crap in a small pack, including the rainjacket..  Don't put it in your pockets either, it will only chafe through your entire sweaty day.  You need a place specifically for  empty mags ie.  a dump pouch.  Never put an empty mag back in a mag pouch.  Doesn't matter how smart you are about your reloads.  If there is an empty in there, you will grab it in an emergency.  AMMO, frags, smoke, m203, water.  Strap an m72 to the side of the camelcack motherlode. Don't leave KAF without it. That's it.

Back