• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Teaching Drill at NSCE

Sloaner said:
Perhaps I'm new, but we always used the DEER method of instruction; Demonstrate Explain Execute Repeat.  If you can avoid using notes for NSCE, do so, but if you have an issue instructing drill at that level perhaps you should re-think doing NSCE to begin with.  Drill is a performance based PO, if you can't do it, you can't teach it, but if you understand the movement and can follow the DEER method, you should be able to teach any drill movement in the 201.  Its not really rocket science, just elementary foot drill which we should all know well.

It's not that Im bad at teaching drill; on the contrary! I'm a great public speaker and have tons of charisma. Its just difficult to follow a hiearchy (one that you dont have memorized) in a specific manner. I just wanted to make sure that, IT IS possible and I would not be repremanded for pulling out notes of any kind.

Also, a lot of this stuff I learned was in french ( I come from Quebec, while my primary language is english), so its difficult to sometimes make a connection between the two.

You may very well show the cadets how to properly position their foot during the in between portion of Attantion - Stand At Ease, Just don't make it a "numbered" movement. Just a quick explanation, and quick demonstration is all that is required.

Your not the only one here that has to take that lesson...its so hard to teach drill...but ya. i think i am ready for it ^_^....NSCE HERE I COME  ;D

Just ask the Drill Assessment Officer what they want, I've heard both arguments for anad against it. Reading the 201 I'd take attention/at ease to be done in two squads, but that said when I taught it I just did it as one movement, it was faster and just as effective.

Yah... It pretty funny that I have demonstrate 1,2,3 pace forward in two different angles for each one. Its even funnier that I also have to do 1,2,3 paces rearward. Anyone here live in Montreal and going near the Olympic Stadium?

xnazzx said:
Yah... It pretty funny that I have demonstrate 1,2,3 pace forward in two different angles for each one. Its even funnier that I also have to do 1,2,3 paces rearward. Anyone here live in Montreal and going near the Olympic Stadium?
I fail to see the humour in that...

If you read the drill manual, you will find that for the purpose of teaching the movement "attention" from "at ease", there are two squads.  As stated before, if you follow the drill manual you can't go wrong.  The only way this lesson gets out of hand is if you let it.  Most drill periods I observe show that the instructor was ill prepared for the lesson, meaning they had not practiced the movement themselves before attempting to teach it.  Good luck to all attempting their NSCE this weekend.

Back