• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The air cadet thread

S. Walsh said:
Air Cadets are not authorized to fire a shot gun.   Be Careful.   We are only authorized to shoot the Lienfield .22 or the aunshwitz.  

Ranges in Central Region have been closed for a few years now.   It is a pain, but at least we have air rifles!

They can all miraculously show up at this place without ever have designated this a squadron activity.  ;)

Sounds risky....If the officer miraculously showed up as well, that would not have been pretty illegal...

WO2_mandal said:
Sounds risky....If the officer miraculously showed up as well, that would not have been pretty illegal...

Ya its risky. My unit did something like I mentioned. We all went to laser quest on a parade night, was planed and all. They gave us a letter saying that this is not a mandatory activity and if you don't want to go then you don't have to. It also stated that the league, DND or whoever is not responsible for injuries resulting from this activity. Was a real fun night, nobody got heart and everybody had a good time.

Now shooting shotguns at a range would probably be more risky seeing that their is a risk to the cadets, such as misfirerings etc. But maybe if they sent out a letter like the one I mentioned my unit did, make them sign it, and return it to the unit. I wouldn't think their would be a huge problem.

Is this all an issue of insurance?

wow.....that would be a BIG no no..........Cpt Walsh, sir, your oppinion?

WO2_mandal said:
wow.....that would be a BIG no no..........Cpt Walsh, sir, your oppinion?

Whitch do you think is a BIG no no. The one I suggested, or the on I said my unit did?

man air cadets is the best thing so far in my life im sgt and have had so many more experiences and awards :p with cadets than i would have in my life, maybe lol

It is a big question of insurance and who pays when something goes wrong.  Fortunately, nothing happened during your laser tag event, but if something did, the fan would be full.

You have to think of it this way, if it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck...

You are holding a prohibited activity on a parade night.  It doesn't really matter what the letter says (assuming the cadet actually brings it home to mom and dad), if the parents think that it is a supported cadet function, they will assume it is one.  A function, on the regular cadet night, with all the cadet staff, a reasonable assumption for the parents.  If something were to happen, you staff could be getting an all-expenses paid tour of Edmonton. 

S. Walsh said:
It is a big question of insurance and who pays when something goes wrong.  Fortunately, nothing happened during your laser tag event, but if something did, the fan would be full.

You have to think of it this way, if it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck...

You are holding a prohibited activity on a parade night.  It doesn't really matter what the letter says (assuming the cadet actually brings it home to mom and dad), if the parents think that it is a supported cadet function, they will assume it is one.  A function, on the regular cadet night, with all the cadet staff, a reasonable assumption for the parents.  If something were to happen, you staff could be getting an all-expenses paid tour of Edmonton. 

You make a good point sir in stating that its never certain if the cadet will bring the letter home to the parents. So therefore after thinking about it I agree that this is not an acceptable risk to the staff or the cadets and should not happen on parade nights. But I would like to be able to see cadets and officers play this sport/game (or any other like paintball) when its not on cadet time, without the risk of being sued if something happened.

I don't want to see my staff getting in trouble.

I loved paintball. Most reputable places are safe, as long as you keep your mask on.  One year when I was on staff at Borden, we took a bus load of staff cadets and officers to an outdoor paintball.  It was great.  But that was back in the day.

That would be awesome, my flight here at power talked about maybe paintballing or tagballing one sunday but were turned down.....usual insurance reasons were cited.........meh, I see where they're coming from.

*UPDATE* POWER KICKS IT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111!!!!!!!! On leave right now, need to be back in 24 hours.
Frickin awesome, gliders got nothing on this.......espically spins  8) Bloody awesome............still need to solo, monday hopefully *crosses fingers*

And thats the power rant, have fun all, and remember........PRTFW!

(If you don't know what that means, you never will!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Or PM me. Yeah that works, PM me.)

My last day in Canada today......made a blog happy reading :D ... http://europeanmandal.blogspot.com/

I know this is pretty random, but how can air cadets get jump wings? Apparently its possible...

They can have their jump wings if they were army, completed their jump course, and transferred to air.
I'm pretty sure screwing up the plane on power and then jumping out of it to save yourself also qualifies you. ;D

There actually is no way to get it through the air cadet program as the Basic Para course is army.

Well I just got back from Basic yesterday and I thought I might give the key points out.

Basic turned out to be very easy as a course. The hard part was dealing with the other cadets who didn't listen or were just weird. (IE: We stood at attention for god nose how long just because people wouldn't stop moving or looking around) Most of the people on basic were younger then me so that was a little hard but I managed. I also found out that I'm not the best at making beds  :eek: ... that changed quickly. Most of the people on basic had horrible drill.

Now the best parts of camp were:

1. The 3 wing visit
2. Gliding
3. Range (got a qualification  :D)

ACSTC Bagotville itself is ok. The mess food in general is good (do not eat the Chinese food, it made me sick). The Hercules (cadet lounge type place) is very good, has a cantine, bank, games, computers and phones. I only which the roads were paved, would have made doing are boots worth it most of the time.

I have so many stories/memories that I will dig up when the time commes.

yeah, iv been there.... 8) ..but right now im in norway haha....ok bye bye

Is anybody on this forum from 715 Mohawk Sqn. Burlington?
if u are, please contact me through PM or e mail etc.
:fifty:

I believe you mean If YOU are.

Gosh.

You mean "I don't understand".

Using proper punctuation and capitals, as well as PROPER english is required here.  none of this "omgzzz lyk u killz0red my f0rk!!!11!!/two." is allowed.

Back