• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Best Ribs

big bad john

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
O.K., we've done the hamburger thing here and we've been tossing around steakhouses and recipe's (Thank you to all who've helped me through my first Bar-b-que) now I'm ready to try bar-b-queing some ribs.  Anyone have any favorite places to go, or any recipes that they might want to share, now's the time to do it!

I've got a 26oz bottle of Jack Daniels for the best recipe if Mike and Staff don't gig me for offering it up!  It is open to a vote.

The Beef Ribs at Montana's Cookhouse (it's a chain for those not familiar)

The ribs are done with Bulls Eye BBQ sauce - quite possibly the closest thing to heaven in a bottle

Chase those with a couple of pints of Keith's.... 8) Good times

"He who sits on high" (Mike) has approved the contest.  I will buy the bottle tomorrow.  Contest to run until Saturday, winner by acclamation.  Any ties to be settled by Staff.  All decisions final.  May the best ribs win!

3 lbs. beef short ribs
1 1/2 t. salt
1 t. black pepper
1 medium onion sliced thin
12 oz. can of beer
2 1/2 C. water
1 C. BBQ sauce

In a large pot, place ribs and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add onion. Add the water and beer. Bring liquid to a boil, cover pot and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until ribs are tender, about 1 hour.

Meanwhile, prepare grill and heat to high. Turn it down to medium and arrange the ribs on the grill grate. Grill turning occasionally and basting with the BBQ sauce until the ribs are nicely browned and glazed on both sides, about 20 minutes.

BBQ Sauce

2 T. virgin olive oil
1 onion chopped
1 T. minced garlic
14 oz. can crushed tomatoes
12 oz. beer
1/4 C. honey
1/4 C. worcestershire sauce
2 T. hot pepper sauce
1 T. Liquid Smoke
1 t. crushed red pepper flakes
1 t. dried thyme
2 T. lemon juice

Heat oil in a large pan. Add onion and garlic and saute until garlic turns golden. Stir in the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 30 - 40 minutes.

Makes 3 1/2 cups

John, a bottle of JD? You know the way to a woman's heart!

Since I must give credit where it is due this is my adaptation of a prize winner(Mustang's Grill) from Burlington Ribfest. Since I'm at the culinary confessional, I use this on beef far more often than on ribs because I'm a BBQ bereft condo dweller.

First things first, get good ribs. If you are using side ribs get lean ones. If you're lucky enough to have an old fashioned butcher shop or organic meat, this is worth shelling out the extra cash to get 'em. Then again, you lot are apt to go shoot your own cow/pig ;) Another important step, peel off the membrane on the back of the rib if it hasn't already been done. Not a pleasant task but it makes a difference(not merely because doing it in a restaurant paid for my post Grade 13 summer drinking!)

Before preparing marinade place ribs in a large roasting pan (bone side down - otherwise the meat may stick to the pan). If you've spent enough of your life cleaning as I have you can "cheat" by using those foil liners in a pan, or use the heavy duty aluminium foil roasters.

Also, make sure you have space in your fridge for the roasting pan. Yes I know it's obvious but just in case some OCdts or Infantry are making this ;D

Marinade:(enough for about 4 large racks)

1 can of tomato paste(the 60 ml or in guy terms, the same as a double shot)
5 tbl. of maple syrup
2 tbl. of beef bouillon(if you haven't got the liquid stuff toss in an OXO cube or Magi)
2 tbl. of soy sauce(use teriyaki if it's all you have - I might forgive you ;))
1 tbl. of Montreal steak spice(I've an affinity for the Club House brand stuff)
1 tbl. of freshly ground black pepper
-->optional - 1 teaspoon ground ginger(or to taste)
-->optional - a pinch or two of red pepper/chili flakes
3 cloves smashed garlic
1 whole onion chopped (including the skin unless you've a lazy blender as I have and it keeps getting stuck!)
1 whole green pepper chopped (throw in seeds/everything) - must admit I think red pepper is tastier here
1 large can(1.36 litres) of pineapple juice

1) Mix above together in a blender, in which case not all the juice will fit so just add as much as you can without having it splat over your kitchen. Or use a whisk if you want to get into that manly outdoor groove. Pour the whole lot over the ribs.

2) If ribs are not completely covered in marinade, add more pineapple juice to roasting pan until ribs are COMPLETELY submerged(just like when you tried flushing your siblings down the loo as a child!). Seeing how you've likely mixed any remaining pineapple juice in your home into Pina Coladas, go ahead and use water if it's all you've got. Or be daring - use some other tropical juice you've hidden away in the pantry lest someone drop by and see you've something other than beer, JD, or vodka kicking about.

3) Cover roasting pan and refrigerate for 24 hours.(aprx. 6 war stories)

4) Put roasting pan in oven (exactly as is - marinade + ribs) at 325F/160C/gas mark 3 for 2 - 2.5 hours(roughly half a war story) - you'll know they're ready when you can pull apart two of the ribs(like that one guy you fought one night outside of Sassy's)...if the ribs come apart easily they are done!(again, like that one guy you fought one night outside of Sassy's:)

4.5) In the event that you are being exceedingly generous or have charged your friends admission and are cooking more than 4 racks, cooking time will be closer to 3(three) hours. Once you hit the 2(two) hour point, do as you do with new recruits and keep checking on them every 15- 20 minutes. Yelling and cursing at ribs, unlike recruits, will not make them go any faster.

5). This is where it gets tricky. You have to move the pan of fiery, hot dead animal from the oven to the barbecue. If you need a map, for the love of God, don't let an officer get involved ;) Send your Recce buddies out if needed to scout out a clear and unobstructed route to the BBQ. Have Sappers create bridges as needed. Once you have established path and arrived at destination, grill ribs for 10-12 minutes using any sauce or spice you like. I use Diana Sauce because it's as sweet and saucy as the chef.

Enjoy!(yes I was rather bored when I posted this)

Well John, I'd love to throw my best out there but I don't have one!! I don't usually do ribs but I will certainly try some of the offerings from here. If you need a hand deciding just give me a shout.

I don't really have a recipe on hand but I believe the best ribs must be smoked rather than boiled and then thrown on the grill. How do you smoke ribs; it's best to google it. Hope that helps.

Montana's cookhouse, large side ribs
price is steep but it's worth it.

Forgive me for not publishing a winner in this poorly attended contest on Saturday, but the wife took me away to Montreal after work. So the winner is....drum roll please...a tie between recceguy and TMM.  Each can claim a micky of Jack Daniels (The 26er split) by PMing me with their postal delivery  details and the prize will be sent express mail immediately! 

Thank you to all who participated!

Congratulations  :D By the way for anyone willing to drive to Niagra Falls, they are having Ribfest from June 16th-18th. Here's a link http://www.niagarafallsribfest.com/

I was really, really expecting a bottle of cyber Jack but big bad john did indeed come through with a bottle of JD!

Thanks - the first shot will be to your health.

Actually, the best ribs EVER, are the ones I cooked up Sunday at my house! I'd let you all in on my secret recipe but then I'd have to kill each and every last one of you who even might have seen the recipe! :o

By the way, it was ribs that brought down the Berlin wall and the fall of communism! I let Reagan try some and he gave the recipe to Gorbachev to end communism in Eastern Europe! ;D

Back