• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Best Steak

Didn't see it mentioned as I only skimmed over these posts, but Baton Rouge (in Kanata, a western division of Ottawa) has excellent steak, in my opinion. Very tasty, but deep(er) pockets may be required.

...they also have the most excellent ribs you'll ever have, ever.

My Dad's!

Yes the Harry AD Allen special!

I certain remember those hot Saskatchewan summers as a kid, and that old BBQ of his, a bricquette type, well into the nightly sand storm of mosquitos, he'd be out there tongs in hand.

Even though he has been gone almost 16yrs, I have yet to have one that tasted as good as his. He used to soak it in some special arrangement, which had a unique taste I have yet to duplicate.

After his death we had about 7 or 8 months supply of his steaks in the freezer, and had them for special occasions.

Cheers,

Wes

The Bluesky Hotel, Bluesky Alta.  The best rib eye in the world, home made beans and baked with all the fixens'.  mmmmmm!

It is pouring rain here today, but I've got my bar-b-que and an umbrella along with an urge to those afore mentioned bison steaks.  One of my friends from the office gave me a concoction called 'Montreal steak spice' which he swears by.  So I will try that on the meat.

big bad john said:
It is pouring rain here today, but I've got my bar-b-que and an umbrella along with an urge to those afore mentioned bison steaks.  One of my friends from the office gave me a concoction called 'Montreal steak spice' which he swears by.  So I will try that on the meat.

It's pretty good actually. Not the best, but if you're not in the mood to marinate the thing overnight, just throw some of that on it and you've got yourself some pretty tasty meat.

Absolutely amaing on a beef roast turned on a spit though.

I was at Ruth's Chris early this week, invited as part of a corporate function.  Steak was good (NY Strip), but not worth the 49 bucks they charged.  AND, that 49 bucks got you the steak...sides were extra at 10 bucks a plate.  Not a place I'd go if the cheque was coming to me.  In compoarison, during BOTC I went to Mike Bossy's in Montreal on two occasions...both the steak and the prime rib were excellent; cheaper that RC and just as good.  Still, best steak I've had was from a steakhouse in Wainwright.  Main drag, a few stores up from Tony's Pizza / clock tower.

Personally though, I prefere pork butt or ribs on my Weber Smoky Mountain. 

couchcommander said:
It's pretty good actually. Not the best, but if you're not in the mood to marinate the thing overnight, just throw some of that on it and you've got yourself some pretty tasty meat.

I second that, Montreal Steak Spice is delicious, if I'm going to any family members I bring some along, just because I find it makes the taste so much better.

Best steak.......personally, I'd have to say the Keg. Expensive, but I find they do a really good job. And I haven't been to many actaul steakhouses, mostly just BBQ at home.

The Sawmill in Edmonton has awesome steaks.

The Keg is OK.

Steak and Stein in Dartmouth rules.

For backyard stuff, well, try a roast smoked on the BBQ. I bought a big stainless 3 burner jobby last summer that near needs a natural gas pipeline of it's own she throws that many BTU's!!

Anyway. Grab a blade pot roast, they're cheap and will work well. You want something with a good amount of fat on the top, fat helps when you smoke meat, it keeps everything else from charring or drying out.

Rub a generous amount of spices on the meat at least 2 hours before cooking, I go about 4. I use Clubhouse Steak Rub bought at any respectable grocery store.

Prepare your smoke. I bought a cast iron smoke box from Home Hardware for 8 bucks, wood chips from Crappy for another 8 or so. Soak about two thirds of the chips you plan on using for at least 1/2 hour before using. When the BBQ is heated load 2/3 wet chips and 1/3 dry chips into the smoke box and place over the burner, keep the burner low and Bob's Yer Uncle you'll have smoke in about 1/2 hour.

You'll have to tinker with your BBQ to get the right temp. I find the ideal temp for smoking is between 200 and 300 degrees depending if you have a wind or not or the time of year.

Smoke the Roast Beast over INDIRECT HEAT for approximately 1 hour per pound or until you reach an internal temperature of at least 150 degrees (Almost Medium) For a three burner jobby like mine I fire the two outside burners at low and put the meat over the center dead burner.

Wise men put a drip pan under the meat unless they have others to clean the BBQ!!!

For a three pound roast do not open the lid for at least 2 hours unless the smoke runs out!!!

During the last hour and the last hour only you may open the lid and add a mop to your beef. A mop is a vinegar based sauce that enhances flavour. My favorite is:
1/3 Cup Jack Daniels or Beer
1/2 Cup Cider vinegar
2 Tbsp oil
1 tsp hot mustard
3 tsp Worcestershire sauce
couple dashes of hot sauce

I like the Jack Daniels recipe better than beer, BTW.

Serve thinly sliced with a finishing sauce if you so desire. The end result should be melt in your mouth meat good for a main course and leftovers, if any, that will make a damn fine sandwich.

Learning to smoke meat takes time, don't give up after the first try - you will frig things up so accept it and live with it.

I have some other good backyard recipes if anyone wishes. Just mention so in a reply or PM me.

Until I can get a BBQ, anyone know a good place other than the Keg in or around Vancouver? I'm ready to go all the way to Whistler if I have to!!!  :blotto:

Steak and Stein is great...Halifax...try the butterflied fillet mignon

HL

BLACK ANGUS

Not to be confused with the franchise in the U.S, this is a very small restaurant serving the most Phenomenal steaks.  You choose your cut, and it is cooked in front of you.

I had some choice steak last night that melted in my mouth, as a very good friend brought some home and grilled it on the BBQ (only a select few can have the honour of doing this)

A great home of the entertainment industry, but you must take a chance and visit, who knows who you may meet!

dileas

tess

Thanks Tess! I totally forgot about Black Angus and it's pretty much down the street from me.

I guess I know where I'm taking my sweetie for his birthday!

My favourite is to do a tenderloin using only Montreal Steak Spice as a dry rub. Like others here, I really like the combination of stuff they put in the steak spice. This can be just shaken on a few minutes before throwing it on the barbie, if you're using a good steak. The steak melts in your mouth and the meat isn't over-powered by a marinade or sauce (which I do use on lesser cuts to good effect...).  I'll also wrap a strip of bacon around it if I have one and feel like filet mignon.

My method for a perfect steak: If you have a watch with a repeat count down timer, set it for two minutes on repeat. This tends to make the timing "beer drinking proof". Rotate the steak a quarter turn after the first two minutes, flip it after the next two, and do the same on that side. Don't poke it with anything, lest you let all the juice out...This results in a perfect medium rare over medium heat with the lid closed, unless the steak is unusually thick or thin.  In that case, obviously adjust accordingly. Makes a nice grill pattern, too... Serve with a good salad, sauteed mushroom and onion (a dash of Montreal Steak Spice is good in this, too), and a nice Cab Sauv or Shiraz/Syrah. My favourite wine with this is Concha Y Toro Casillero Del Diablo Carmenere from Chile... good bang for the buck, check it out: http://www.conchaytorousa.com/wines/diablo.html 

Hmm, think I just made dinner plans...

When sailing, I always look forward to Thursday nights....steak night.  Our Chief Cook only buys the best, and does an amazing job with them.  Crack a couple bottles of wine to go with them and you're set.  The only thing that makes it better is when the wind and waves cooperate and you light up the BBQ on the sweepdeck and the CO lets you take your drinks out with you.

Scott said:
The Sawmill in Edmonton has awesome steaks.

The Keg is OK.

Steak and Stein in Dartmouth rules.

For backyard stuff, well, try a roast smoked on the BBQ. I bought a big stainless 3 burner jobby last summer that near needs a natural gas pipeline of it's own she throws that many BTU's!!

Anyway. Grab a blade pot roast, they're cheap and will work well. You want something with a good amount of fat on the top, fat helps when you smoke meat, it keeps everything else from charring or drying out.

Rub a generous amount of spices on the meat at least 2 hours before cooking, I go about 4. I use Clubhouse Steak Rub bought at any respectable grocery store.

Prepare your smoke. I bought a cast iron smoke box from Home Hardware for 8 bucks, wood chips from Crappy for another 8 or so. Soak about two thirds of the chips you plan on using for at least 1/2 hour before using. When the BBQ is heated load 2/3 wet chips and 1/3 dry chips into the smoke box and place over the burner, keep the burner low and Bob's Yer Uncle you'll have smoke in about 1/2 hour.

You'll have to tinker with your BBQ to get the right temp. I find the ideal temp for smoking is between 200 and 300 degrees depending if you have a wind or not or the time of year.

Smoke the Roast Beast over INDIRECT HEAT for approximately 1 hour per pound or until you reach an internal temperature of at least 150 degrees (Almost Medium) For a three burner jobby like mine I fire the two outside burners at low and put the meat over the center dead burner.

Wise men put a drip pan under the meat unless they have others to clean the BBQ!!!

For a three pound roast do not open the lid for at least 2 hours unless the smoke runs out!!!

During the last hour and the last hour only you may open the lid and add a mop to your beef. A mop is a vinegar based sauce that enhances flavour. My favorite is:
1/3 Cup Jack Daniels or Beer
1/2 Cup Cider vinegar
2 Tbsp oil
1 tsp hot mustard
3 tsp Worcestershire sauce
couple dashes of hot sauce

I like the Jack Daniels recipe better than beer, BTW.

Serve thinly sliced with a finishing sauce if you so desire. The end result should be melt in your mouth meat good for a main course and leftovers, if any, that will make a damn fine sandwich.

Learning to smoke meat takes time, don't give up after the first try - you will frig things up so accept it and live with it.

I have some other good backyard recipes if anyone wishes. Just mention so in a reply or PM me.

Frankly the best post from a DS I have ever seen-very informative, not suoercillious and essentially giving up hard won info for nothing.  Much appreciated-very many thanks!

Any steak that is not cooked in the DFAC in KAF.....Somehow they managed to find my first pair of combat boots, add sauce and slap it on a paper plate.......So THATS where surplus combat boots go to die......A mess hall somewhere.

If not my own, then I'd have to say the 8oz. ribeye at the Marysburg steak pit/bar/hotel. Nothing like a good steak and a beer after a day of pushing bush!

Back