• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The C7 Assault Rifle, M16, & AR15 family (C7A1, C7A2, C7 replacment, and C7 vs M16)

US Ammo was in all likleyhood Lake City M118 173gr Special Ball, the M852 168gr came around a little later - I dont recall any with the C1A1 or C3 shoots (I've been wrong once or maybe twice before though  ;D )

The US Mk262Mod1 77gr SMK BTHP is an outstanding round both for accuracy and terminal effects downrange.  The BS that is stoppoing conventional parts of the CF from using it is revolting.

Match ammo was indeed Lake City.
Used @ CFSAC in Connaught.

- Found lots of Lake City brass as well as plated 5.56 NATO cartridge cases at a local range used by various LE and agencies.  New headstamps - 04, 05, etc.  Some BHA Match as well.

Most of the new production Mk262 is loaded by BH in LC casings  ;)

I noticed all (or atleast most) of the 3-08 OMLT personnel are training with C8A2s. (C8FTHB).  Not sure how many have been issued on past rotos, but these ones have seen the sandbox (judging by their various paint schemes).

Well if it's anything like us, C8's are going to be for office jockeys.  Infantry types don't need them apparently. 

Kendrick
With the C7A2s, the office jockets have, for all means and practical purposes, a C8

If you are really interested in more information, try PMing this fella 48thHighlander.

I have a feeling he has a very intimate knowledge of the Company and this particular weapon  ;).

BTW, the gent in charge of the deveopement, is a Canadian, and former weapons tech with a very very cool Highland regiment.

dileas

tess

The future...

URX005.jpg

URX020.jpg

;)

Nice toys Kev, but why do you insist on posting pics of your airsoft collection?? ;D

The shortie does not appear to have a DIEMACO upper.  The arrogant HK-type sights being the giveaway.  Details?

Hk 416 both 10.5 and 14.5  (in 6mm BB for Gerry  ;D)

As much as I dont think we as a whole need the gas piston -- it seems to be the latest rage, stripping the Hk's to the LWRC gives you a clear vision of the fact you get more for your $1780 (full gun from Hk) than you do with your $1700 gun from LWRC...

The Hk upper is about $1100  - with the rail and sights (I dislike the sights BTW)  - I still think they botched the hookup for the Hk GL -- but much better than a Diemaco mount to the SFW...

Kev,
That shorty looks cool, but is kinda useless without some sort of suppressor on it. And an holo sight (EOTech) would be a better sight for it.

Cough Holosight -- I'll be out to sell you guys on Aimpoint soon enough... ;)
  Surefire cans are down South...

Infidel-6 said:
Hk 416 both 10.5 and 14.5  (in 6mm BB for Gerry  ;D)

As much as I dont think we as a whole need the gas piston -- it seems to be the latest rage, stripping the Hk's to the LWRC gives you a clear vision of the fact you get more for your $1780 (full gun from Hk) than you do with your $1700 gun from LWRC...

The Hk upper is about $1100  - with the rail and sights (I dislike the sights BTW)  - I still think they botched the hookup for the Hk GL -- but much better than a Diemaco mount to the SFW...
How have they performed (your gas pistons)?

The Dutch Marines use it. The Dutch Army has the FN minimi for this role.

New M249 PIP does not have a mag feed option (thank god)
  The C9A2 project is dead -- when Diemaco was sold to Colt, and became Colt Canada  - the rights to produce anything from FNH disappeared - Colt is an FN competitor - and FN was not allowing its TDP for the C6 and C9 to remain there.
*yes genius to allow that to happen - so Canada will get no new parts from Diemaco/Colt Canada for those guns - nor barrels etc. (rocket science)

The A2 barrels where an annomoly as they where just chopped C9 barrels -- they had the C9 flashhider put back on after the barrel was recrowned and threaded.  The Mk46 and M249 Para have a different thread and different flash hider.

The A2 stock was a copy of the Stoner 63 stock in the folding mechanism - and the standard C8 stock added -
- the US via FN now makes a Para stock like this - but with a checkpiece to improve the fit. (without the folder ability).

Not a lot of sense to buy a new C9 now -- the CF ones never had the hydralic buffer from the US M249 contract  (which is why ours wore out at less than half the round count...)  Your better off buying a Mk46 - as it has an intergral RAS - and getting an extra Para barrel (they are heavier) - it has no mag feed option (a good thing IMHO).
  However the M249 has always been a "disposable machiengun" - they have a short service life due to the design.

Infidel-6 said:
New M249 PIP does not have a mag feed option (thank god)
   The C9A2 project is dead -- when Diemaco was sold to Colt, and became Colt Canada  - the rights to produce anything from FNH disappeared - Colt is an FN competitor - and FN was not allowing its TDP for the C6 and C9 to remain there.
*yes genius to allow that to happen - so Canada will get no new parts from Diemaco/Colt Canada for those guns - nor barrels etc. (rocket science)

The A2 barrels where an annomoly as they where just chopped C9 barrels -- they had the C9 flashhider put back on after the barrel was recrowned and threaded.  The Mk46 and M249 Para have a different thread and different flash hider.

The A2 stock was a copy of the Stoner 63 stock in the folding mechanism - and the standard C8 stock added -
- the US via FN now makes a Para stock like this - but with a checkpiece to improve the fit. (without the folder ability).

Not a lot of sense to buy a new C9 now -- the CF ones never had the hydralic buffer from the US M249 contract  (which is why ours wore out at less than half the round count...)  Your better off buying a Mk46 - as it has an intergral RAS - and getting an extra Para barrel (they are heavier) - it has no mag feed option (a good thing IMHO).
  However the M249 has always been a "disposable machiengun" - they have a short service life due to the design.
Wow, I had no idea.  I was through the Colt Canada plant several months ago and I remember then going on about the C9A2.  How many were produced before FN put an end to it?

Also saw quite a few C6s in for refurbushing, but then I guess that was the tail end of them. 

Does the CF have any tentative plans for a replacement LMG?  I can see our C9s getting old real fast (those that aren't already).

Colt Canada will continue work with parts in inventory -- but nothing new.
  I'm out of the system - so I cant comment on who many or what will occur

Given that Colt Canada has lost the one advantage that Colt didn't have.... certain rights to FN technology, how long do you imagine before that plant shuts down and they move everything down to the USA?

At present, I do not see any advantages that would keep em here (other than servicing our C7/C8s + C6/C9s while parts hold out).

Back