• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The "G Wagon" (Iltis replacment for Recce & the Reg Force)

The Iltis replacement MILCOTS sure looks like a GM pickup to me. And before anyone says "Yeah, but the MILCOTS is a militia vehicle", remember, so was the Bison. How many Reserve Units own those?

MILCOTS - Military Commercial Off The Shelf = Proper Designation

Milverado = MO Nickname

The IFAV is used mainly by Force Recon, the IFAV was their primary vechicle is Afghanstan but not really used too much in Iraq. The IFAV has been in the inventory for about 6 years and doesn‘t have all the bells and whistles as the CND G-Wagon.

Little off topic here but do I read your profile right that you spent 5 years in the Marines and now reside in Winnipeg? I ask because I am from Winnipeg and your location peaked my interest.

Originally posted by Jason Bourne:
[qb] *sigh* stealing our ideas...lol [/qb]
The USMC and the CF are linked by the "Dangles"

CADPAT, and... the G-Wagon!

Grr.. LOL

Originally posted by Jason Bourne:
[qb] *sigh* stealing our ideas...lol [/qb]
not really, since they had them like a good 5 years before we got ours

If anything, the Germans used the G-Wagens for military purposes first.

When the CF purchased the G-wagons, was a parts supply block included into the contract???

Example: 800 G-wagons, with a 10% load of Secoundary Repairable (Engines Tranny‘s), and 10%parts supply (nuts, bolts, tires)

In the pic near the bottom of the attached page it appears that the G Wagon is equipped with a snorkel. But the intake is facing aft. Why is that? Dust?

G Wagon

What‘s attached to the roof? Is it just an extra spot to put stuff?

I believe that is in fact a "snorkel" (sounds good to me).

That would allow you to take the vehicle into water to a level higher than if you didn‘t (lest water get into the air-filter, engine, etc).

I don‘t know the spec‘s on how deep of water it can ford, but it what be better than that of the Iltis it is replacing. I "swam" one once in a long shallow puddle. Kind of fun until the water started filling the vehicle through the little holes in the floorboards.

If you look at the LandRovers, etc that other nations use, they have similar setups. I think I‘ve seen it on civvy pattern SUV‘s that NGO‘s and others use.

Al

Theoretically you could ford the vehicle as deep as the snorkel height. Mind you, the driver would drown!

Probably not too many areas in Afghanistan where the Vandoos will be able to try out its fording ability.

I see they still have oil pans, even under the new vehicles, do the americans do that as well or is it a canadian thing? having oil pans under all our vehicles...

Probably just the guys in the motor pool trying to keep the oil that may leak from the engine off the ground, thus reducing cleanup, and also environmental impact.

Originally posted by IceHawk:
[qb] I see they still have oil pans, even under the new vehicles, do the americans do that as well or is it a canadian thing? having oil pans under all our vehicles... [/qb]
It is a European thing! It started in Europe in the late Eighties and spread over here. The Green Party and the Environmentalists started it all. Drip pans under any vehicles that were stationary for long periods. Drip pans under Fuel caps while refueling. Drip pans under POL products stacked in the field. Drip pans everywhere. Then came ‘No Driving through rivers and streams‘. Then came the Porta Potties/Blue Rockets. Then came "No Cutting of Cam". Followed soon after by no digging of trenches, unless they were properly refilled....ad nausium.

The Armed Forces have gone "GREEN".

GW

Is all that really necessary? I mean my car isn‘t even new and it doesn‘t drip anything except for coolant ocaisionally but that‘s because there is a crack somewhere in the line and when the temp is right it leaks but still, I mean it seems a little excessive to me.

Necessary or not. It‘s a matter of that‘s what we‘re told to do. May be a waste, maybe not, but it‘s not our descision. You don‘t have to like it, you just have to do it. :D

Back